Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Meeting at the Benton Airstrip

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meeting at the Benton Airstrip

There is gonna be a meeting on Saturday Jan. 26th to get support & signatures for the dragstrip. We need as many people as we can get.

Maybe we should have a cookout, and a donation fund? I would be willing to toss in some $$$ to help get this going.

Who all is planning on going to this?

REMEMBER: KEEP IT CIVIL....if you see something happening out there that you think is inappropriate. Let someone know, we dont need a bad croud out out there. We have a decent shot a central track and the last thing we need is to have it waste it on a bad apple.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:02 PM

I will be sure to make it to this one!
Old 01-14-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yup, I'll be there with a donation. I'll bring as many people as I can get. I'll bring my family just for signatures lol.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

If my wife doesn't mind babysitting for a couple hours, I'll come over and sign to.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Sounds Like A Great Idea
Old 01-14-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

DAMNIT!!! the one time i have weekend duty is that weekend....if there isnt any work that weekend we should be on phone standby and i could make it out...i hope i can make it
Old 01-14-2008, 09:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I can get off work, I'll be there. I'll bring a few guys from work who are interested if I can.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Zak Attack
There is gonna be a meeting on Saturday Jan. 26th to get support & signatures for the dragstrip. We need as many people as we can get.

Maybe we should have a cookout, and a donation fund? I would be willing to toss in some $$$ to help get this going.

Who all is planning on going to this?

REMEMBER: KEEP IT CIVIL....if you see something happening out there that you think is inappropriate. Let someone know, we dont need a bad croud out out there. We have a decent shot a central track and the last thing we need is to have it waste it on a bad apple.
What time on Saturday??? Planning on coming.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:53 AM

Post RALLY @ BENTON AIRPORT...more info

OK...I hope this will answer all the questions. If not I will post my email address. We are holding a rally on SATURDAY JANUARY 26th at the BENTON AIRPORT. It will OPEN at 10am & be open 'till the last car leaves. The rally is for ANYONE who is in support of having a track in Benton. We will have a petition for you to sign to be given to the Benton City Council. You DO NOT have to live in Benton to sign the petition! Bring your cars, your friends, family, aunts & uncles...ANYONE & EVERYONE are welcome. Bring lawn chairs to sit in...there are bleachers or chairs available; sorry. The Mayor of Benton will be attending as well as the media. So remember; be on your BEST BEHAVIOR! Showing out will only hurt us from getting a track. We want to prove that we are mature & responsible enough to have a place to race.

One more thing...we have been informed that a few of the council members are really fighting against this. So in order to get those few members attention we need to write them letters (emails) about how we feel. Express to them how bad you want this & how bad the Cith of Benton needs this; the revenue ot would bring in. Express your opinion to them but be nice...NOTHING RUDE or DISRESPECTFUL! I have included a link to the page where you can email the council. You can pick any member to write to or write an email to each of them; short & sweet, right to the point.

If you have any questions please email me (Shelly) or call Nathan; 580-5406. We'll be glad to answer them. Thank you all for your support; and we look forward to seeing everyone on the 26th!

Link to council (you may need to copy & paste it): http://www.benton.ar.gov/government/mayor_council.htm

My email address: shellymann78@aol.com
Old 01-15-2008, 10:44 AM

Default mistake in post

Just to clarify my mistake...there are NO bleachers at the airport. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:25 PM

Do you know if there is a certain number of signatures its going to take? I heard 5000.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

I e-mailed the all the councilmen from wards 5, 4 and 3. I'll e-mail those in ward 1 and 2 after I do a little more work here.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:32 PM

I e-mailed every one of them and most called me or wrote me back. It seems their main concern is what is going to bring the most money into the city, the ones i spoke with said they are for it or at least open minded. The Mayor is 100% for it, and sent me this e-mail.

I just wanted to tell you in response to your email about the old airport that I very much support your idea of street racing there to give the kids something positive to do in Benton. I was just given word that the church (Holland Chapel) that owns the top half of the airport will not support this effort.

THEIR SACRIFICE...OUR FREEDOM
Mayor Rick Holland
City of Benton
P.O. Box 607
Benton, AR 72018
Phone (501) 776-5905
Fax (501) 776-5910
Web-Site www.benton.ar.gov
Old 01-15-2008, 05:37 PM

The fact that the church does not support the idea means nothing except that the track may not eventually go 1/4 mile. But there is still room for the 1/8th mile and maybe a 1000'. Dont be discouraged.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Well thats good. I would rather have something over nothing.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:03 PM

We DO NOT need the church or their proprety to go ahead with this. IT IS NOT A SET BACK! The City of Benton owns more of the land so we can come in from the other end. As for the rally...we will have an alternate entrance for you all to come into. Just follow the signs & remember not to park on the church property. We will have everything roped off so we don't have any problems. Our goal is to get a track; & with the support of the racers & council we will get it!
Old 01-15-2008, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

How much of the track do they "own"?
Old 01-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Should be a big turnout this time with more than one day notice by a text message....I'll be there.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Zak Attack
How much of the track do they "own"?
One of the counsel guys I talked to said that the church owns from about Jackman Rd. to the church. We still have plenty of room.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:53 AM
12 Second Club

Wow, what an impressive effort! I had no idea that the Benton airport was "outta commission" and available to turn into a track. Is there a "new" Benton airport?

Quick Reply: Meeting at the Benton Airstrip