What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2002 ss hardtop

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 ss hardtop

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=169716914
Does anyone else think this dealer is crazy? I'm looking for exactly this..minus the color. I'm pretty sure this should be a 9 to 10k car. They told me over the phone that it is priced that way because it's a collector (with 70k) and they have the original window sticker.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess it would be a matter of if you need one today or if you are willing to wait and shop around. If it is the sooner then unfortunately your at the mercy of what is available on the market at the moment. If it is the later then I feel pretty comfortable you will find a good quality car (middle of the road mileage) within your specified price range as I have seen a few over the course of the last year or so. (i.e. see the example below which was just recently on here which I personally was entertaining buying do to it being a quality car for the price).

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...camaro-ss.html

This being said I take dealer pricing with a grain of salt and with used performance cars would always recommend buying from personnel sale as that is where your going to get the best deals and the most honest depiction of the car (keep in mind this is not all cases). This unless the dealer is offering some exceptional warranty but in general I suggest just keep your eye out for personnal classifieds that are within your range of travel. It is worthy of noting that just based on my experience HT SS cars don't show up as often as others so if you find something you like that is within your boundaries jump on it.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You should be able to find a comparable SS M6 up here in the northeast for a lot less money than that. If a "collector" owned it, they never bothered to clean it. For $15K you should be able to find a 1 owner 20K-30K mile 2002 SS M6. I would agree with you that it should be in the range of approx $9K-$11K. Fwiw, I only value my '99 SS M6 with 18K miles at $12K which has similar SLP content to this 2002. And I certainly wouldn't trade even for that car. I would think window stickers would be the norm for any car under 75K miles or so. If a real collector owned it, they'd have probably passed along a lot more than just a window sticker and SLP options list. Maintenance history?

Last edited by Firebrian; 03-21-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

I agree that the price is too high for the mileage and presentation, but being a dealer that's just what they often do. Rarely are they in a rush to sell. This actually isn't too outrageous compared to some of the ads I've seen.

The whole "collector" thing doesn't carry much weight in terms of value in this case, IMO. This is certainly not a #1 car at all, and based on some visible wear, blemishes and lack of detailing in the pictures, it doesn't appear to be a #2 either. It has an aftermarket exhaust so it's not 100% stock and might have other mods as well (didn't see any engine bay pics.)

72k miles is an average of ~5k per year for this car, and since it says "one owner" I guess it's likely that it was someone's summer-only car for all these years. That's nice, but at this point it's just a driver - reason being, there are a bunch of these cars still out there with half the mileage or less that are in better shape and many of them much more rarely optioned, those would be more accurately described and valued as "collector" examples at this point. If the black '02 in this link still looks like that and has ~75-80k miles when it's 35+ years old, then perhaps it will fall higher in the overall scope of these cars. For now, it's just a nice mid-mileage driver in a common color that's priced a few thousand too high.

If you are shopping in that price range, I would recommend this car instead:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...top-6-spd.html

This is a better value, with a fraction of the mileage and in strikingly better condition. Yeah, it's not a 2002 but it also doesn't need the roof panel to be replaced - which is a huge plus (and savings) for a hardtop car.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I agree that the price is too high for the mileage and presentation, but being a dealer that's just what they often do. Rarely are they in a rush to sell. This actually isn't too outrageous compared to some of the ads I've seen.

The whole "collector" thing doesn't carry much weight in terms of value in this case, IMO. This is certainly not a #1 car at all, and based on some visible wear, blemishes and lack of detailing in the pictures, it doesn't appear to be a #2 either. It has an aftermarket exhaust so it's not 100% stock and might have other mods as well (didn't see any engine bay pics.)

72k miles is an average of ~5k per year for this car, and since it says "one owner" I guess it's likely that it was someone's summer-only car for all these years. That's nice, but at this point it's just a driver - reason being, there are a bunch of these cars still out there with half the mileage or less that are in better shape and many of them much more rarely optioned, those would be more accurately described and valued as "collector" examples at this point. If the black '02 in this link still looks like that and has ~75-80k miles when it's 35+ years old, then perhaps it will fall higher in the overall scope of these cars. For now, it's just a nice mid-mileage driver in a common color that's priced a few thousand too high.

If you are shopping in that price range, I would recommend this car instead:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...top-6-spd.html

This is a better value, with a fraction of the mileage and in strikingly better condition. Yeah, it's not a 2002 but it also doesn't need the roof panel to be replaced - which is a huge plus (and savings) for a hardtop car.
I'm shopping for around 8k, more for the right car, but im looking for a driver that I can make more powerful.

I will keep an eye on it if it drops in price. I've been looking for about 2 months, but im only willing to travel 150 to 200 miles from nj.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Firebrian
You should be able to find a comparable SS M6 up here in the northeast for a lot less money than that. If a "collector" owned it, they never bothered to clean it. For $15K you should be able to find a 1 owner 20K-30K mile 2002 SS M6. I would agree with you that it should be in the range of approx $9K-$11K. Fwiw, I only value my '99 SS M6 with 18K miles at $12K which has similar SLP content to this 2002. And I certainly wouldn't trade even for that car. I would think window stickers would be the norm for any car under 75K miles or so. If a real collector only it, they'd have probably passed along a lot more than just a window sticker and SLP options list. Maintenance history?

Zero maintenance records
Old 03-21-2017, 08:02 PM

Im thinking the dealer themselves may have alot in it. Its not outrageous but it may be slightly high.
Depends on how long its been on the lot also, if they just got it and are getting action on it then they probably wont move on it. If its been there for a few weeks then they may drop some.
If you do go with it any offer you make say this:
For example,
I'll take it for $13,000 out the door with all applicable fees. That way they wont hit you with a $500 paperwork processing fee
Old 03-21-2017, 08:08 PM

The reason they might not have service records is because in some states if a new owner finds any paperwork in the car with the owners name address or phone number and the new owner contacts the old the dealer can be held responsible for leaving it in there.
I know this doesnt make anysense but its true. So unfortunately if they were provided they may of been tossed.
Or they are hidden or kept someplace in the car they havnt looked.

If your not comfortable with the price dont do it. Youll know when its right but I also think your gonna need alittle more than $8k to find what you want. At least in my town that car would sell for that all day long or for $13 easy.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:10 PM

Also to find a deal sometimes you have to go get it. Buddy of mine flew to virgina from st louis to buy a car, then drove it home
Old 03-22-2017, 08:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by GM Thunder
Also to find a deal sometimes you have to go get it. Buddy of mine flew to virgina from st louis to buy a car, then drove it home
Agree 100%. I haven't bought a car within 400 miles of me since I bought my Trans Am when it was new. Even then I travelled 3.5 hours to Charlotte to buy it as I wanted a particular color combo. My main advice, "DO NOT SETTLE!!"
** I also agree that the dealer price is way too high.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:37 AM

When I bought my 04 silverado 7 years ago or so I bought it in nashville illinois. Was a one owner truck, all service done at the dealer. At the time it was 13,500.
Should of been closer to 17 or 18k.
So im thinking whats wrong with it that its been in the dealers inventory for 3 months. Reason was the dealer was out in farm country, where everyone wants 4wd. This truck was 2 wheel which is what I wanted. Traveled couple hours away to get it but saved thousands and picked up a nice one owner truck which only had 48k at the time.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:38 AM

Previous post correct dont ever settle at all, youll never be happy. Youll know when its right.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Not big on travel myself. My standards are usually very rigid depending on the purpose of the vehicle and I'm easily disappointed, so long distance travel to look at cars would often be a waste of my time and money. It would take a very specific situation for me to consider such. This generally isn't an issue though as I live right next to the third largest city in the nation, so normally I can find something that meets my desires within 100 miles or less.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The dealer selling that car also has a 1998 Z28 6 speed vert with 31K miles at $17,000. I also see a Vette and BMW on the lot. So they do seem to try and go after sporty cars. So I'm not surprised they are asking strong money as spring arrives.

While not close to you (WPB, FL), here's a 33K mile black 2001 SS for $14,000 ask. That's reasonable from a Private Party. Just flipping through some of the offerings out there, fully stock 6 speeds in the 40K-75K mile range are not that easy to find. The PA/OHIO/NJ/NY area has a good supply of LS1's. One should pop up when you least expect it. I agree....don't settle. If you do, the exact car you want and the right price will show up a few months after you settled for something else.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...modelCode1=CAM

Last edited by Firebrian; 03-22-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GM Thunder
The reason they might not have service records is because in some states if a new owner finds any paperwork in the car with the owners name address or phone number and the new owner contacts the old the dealer can be held responsible for leaving it in there.
I know this doesnt make anysense but its true. So unfortunately if they were provided they may of been tossed.
Or they are hidden or kept someplace in the car they havnt looked.

If your not comfortable with the price dont do it. Youll know when its right but I also think your gonna need alittle more than $8k to find what you want. At least in my town that car would sell for that all day long or for $13 easy.
this car just happened to stand out cause i'm looking for a hardtop and its the closest hardtop. I'm looking for a stick and a hardtop, hence the 8k price. I dont care about mods or miles. on the flip side, i would buy a nicer lower mileage car for the right price. I dont want to over pay for something and I feel like this is a 8 to 10k car privately. I dont think I would pay anymore than 10k out the door with nj 7% tax and title.

the color is also throwing me a little bit, not a fan of black. Ive already owned a 99 and 01 ss, those were both t tops and m6.

i will continue to talk to them and if they come down to below 10k out the door, i will buy it and if the color annoys me enough, i can wrap it.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...nal-miles.html

This was posted in our classifieds section in December. Not a single inquiry until late Feb. 2002 SS M6 7500 miles asking $14,000. Sure beats 72,000 miles for $1,000 more. Maybe not a real ad but if legit.... it's a nice deal imo.

Last edited by Firebrian; 03-24-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:57 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There out there just got to keep your eyes open

https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/6026086197.html

Quick Reply: 2002 ss hardtop