What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1998 Trans AM

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1998 Trans AM

Thinking of selling my Trans Am to be able to afford a down payment on a house... As much as I don't want to, I can always get another fbody or LS car later...

Red/Black, Charcoal leather interior. No cracks in the door panels or dash pad. The car is garaged year round, and will come with a car cover that I use in winter time.

Currently has 14X,XXX miles on it, T Top car.

The car has basic bolt ons and I had plans to turn it into an all motor weekend car.

Modifications include:

Engine/Exhaust Mods:
Motovative Solid motor mounts/poly trans mount
160° Thermostat
AIR/EGR Delete
25% UD Pulley
AC Delete
K&N FIPK
Pacesetter 1 3/4" Longtube headers
Custom exhaust, no cats, no mufflers, corsa clone tips. (pics and videos found here on page 2)

Suspension Mods:
Strano lowering springs
KYB AGX adjustable shocks on front and back.
Edelbrock adjustable panhard rod
BMR Panhard rod relocation kit
BMR Adjustable LCA and LCA relocation brackets
BMR Driveshaft Safety loop
J&M 3-Point Double Diamond weld in sub frame connectors

Appearance Mods:
SLP High Output hood
Side mold delete
TRANS AM letters painted black on doors
C6 Z06 wheels staggered 17x9 up front wrapped in 275/40/17 Nitto 555r 18x10.5 rear wrapped in 305/35/18 Nitto 555r Extreme drag radials. Rear tires have shallow cuts in them from hitting the fenders. The fenders have since been rolled and there has been no rubbing of any sort since. Car will also come with the original 16” chrome wheels and tires, though the tires are on their last leg and are only used for storing the car on during winter time.
CETA mod performed on rear bumper
Black smoked LED third brake light
6000k HID Low beams and fog lights, both sets hooked up to relay harnesses so they dont flicker

I replaced the passenger tail light with one that was not cracked and fogged up.

Will also include the car cover specifically designed for the high rise spoiler, fits the car like a glove.

Pics of the car post accident repairs are shown here
The ecu was tuned locally by Wait4Me performance back when he was a sponsor on the forums to remove the CEL codes from the AIR/EGR/Cat deletes. The motor runs very strong, and if it weren’t for the transmission (explanation below), I’d have the confidence to drive it cross country without giving it a second thought.

The bad:
The car was rear ended back in 2010, damage was professionally repaired and the title is still clean. If you aren't looking for it, you wouldn't really notice it and I still get TONS of compliments on the car. Due to the damage though, and the addition of the hood, the car is almost 100% fresh paint. The only exceptions is the front bumper and front fenders. Everything else, including the front license plate cover has been repainted. (Yes, the bird is painted black, that is not a sticker overlay)

There is a vibration when at a stop. I don't know exactly if it is coming from the transmission, or exhaust. Mechanic says its from the exhaust, but I can't confirm and therefor will not say for certain where the vibration is coming from.

Due to the car being lowered, the exhaust does hit the axle when you hit a bump.

Dr Evil Stage 3 A4 Circle D 4k stall, cant remember the exact miles on it but its high enough that the stall could use a refresh, and the trans is starting to slip out of 4th, fluid shows black streaks. Still shifts very strong 1-3, but will not stay in 4th.

Hi beam switch does not work, this was never a problem for me because I always drove the car on well lit roads and the HIDs are more than bright enough.

There is a very small tear starting in the side bolster of the driver's seat, as well as tears in the headliner. Headliner does not sag, tears are mostly located around the ttops as well as one larger one in betwee the ttops.

I know its not immaculate, and I've tried to list everything as honestly as I can, but I'm sure theres something I missed. Just looking for opinions to see what people think it is worth... I had plans to do an M6 swap, and have everything for the swap except for the transmission and slave cylinder that I'd probably sell with the car if the buyer wanted as long as the price was right...

Last edited by BA98TA; 08-21-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Anyone? I'm just looking for some honest opinions... I wont take offense, I know the car isn't immaculate by any standards
Old 08-21-2014, 07:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by BA98TA
Anyone? I'm just looking for some honest opinions... I wont take offense, I know the car isn't immaculate by any standards
I responded initially but then deleted it because I've been upsetting too many 'high mileage F-body' sellers recently. The demographic on this site has changed dramatically. I like helping fellow owners and offering advice but an honest opinion isn't what some sellers want to hear anymore. Maybe you are fine, and again, sorry if you read the initial response. I just can't recommend buyers paying the high prices that some of these sellers want.
I do want to compliment you on a very detailed description which is getting to be a rare find in this section. I hope someone will chime in with solid advice for you that isn't just 'wishful thinking'. GLWS!!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:46 AM
Teching In

My guess would probably be around 4-4.5k.. Had it been an M6 probably closer to 5k... Had it been an 00-02 WS6 I'd say 6k max... Going only by miles and condition.. The mods mean very little to me if I were a buyer..

I have an 2000 SS, M6 bone stock and nearly everything working, great low mileage seats with 151k on it.. I'll plan on listing it for 6k once I finish fixing the little stuff and give a good detail... But just like most red cars in FL that are 15 years old, paint has seen better days...

Just my 2 cents..
Old 08-21-2014, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I responded initially but then deleted it because I've been upsetting too many 'high mileage F-body' sellers recently. The demographic on this site has changed dramatically. I like helping fellow owners and offering advice but an honest opinion isn't what some sellers want to hear anymore. Maybe you are fine, and again, sorry if you read the initial response. I just can't recommend buyers paying the high prices that some of these sellers want.
I do want to compliment you on a very detailed description which is getting to be a rare find in this section. I hope someone will chime in with solid advice for you that isn't just 'wishful thinking'. GLWS!!
I saw your original response through email, and was not offended at all. I'm looking for honest opinions, and welcome the advice.

I appreciate the compliments about the description. This has been my baby since 2006 and I'd hate to let it go, but a house is more important and I can always get another LSx car later on. (and plan on it) I'm going to list it as accurately as I can so that I get an accurate/honest "appraisal" opinion from everyone here.

That being said, I'm looking for your type of response. I realise the car isn't pristine, and I have no plans to list it as such. People that respond with over inflated prices are just setting people up for disappointment.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with the great description, good job!
But its not only the high mileage cars, the 50K,60K and 70K mile cars with $15K, $16K and sometimes $18K price tags are getting ridiculous!

I think your car is worth $3-4.5K to the right buyer(maybe more if you reinstall the A/C and get the trans fixed), you just have to be patient...
Old 08-21-2014, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

You have a nice mod list and a good looking car. The thing that's going to kill you is the bad transmission. You're going to need a very select buyer. Flippers and dealers are going to be lowballing you, hoping to fix it and make a killing. You could probably squeak out 4.5-5K, but you should prepare for the flood of $2.5-$3.5K offers.

Lol, even after not responding and the thread lock, you still can't let it go. To be clear, I wasn't upset at your estimate. I asked for it and I expect both high and low estimates. You blowing a head gasket and insinuating that I'm screwing my buyers over is what pissed me off.

I don't want to crap all over this guys thread, so if you have any more cheap shots, feel free to PM me.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the response hardbones.

I unfortunately dont have any of the ac stuff anymore, the condenser was broke and so we just took it all out for added weight saving. I never would have used the AC anyway, its a ttop car... the whole point of a ttop car is to drive with the tops out. And the car never sees rain, so I was never worried about needing to drive it with the windows up anyway.

I do understand what youre saying though, AC does add a certain level of appeal to the mass market...

As for the trans, I dont really know how I would feel about dumping 1k+ into a transmission that I probably wouldnt get any return from in the sale.

I was hoping to hear around the 4k price at the lowest, so I guess so far I was in the right ball park, hopefully its not wishful thinking. I understand the car has issues, but if I could get 4k for it, I'd probably sell it and sell what few remaining aftermarket parts I have laying around that are collecting dust due to lack of interest/funds.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the response hardbones.

I unfortunately dont have any of the ac stuff anymore, the condenser was broke and so we just took it all out for added weight saving. I never would have used the AC anyway, its a ttop car... the whole point of a ttop car is to drive with the tops out. And the car never sees rain, so I was never worried about needing to drive it with the windows up anyway.

I do understand what youre saying though, AC does add a certain level of appeal to the mass market...

As for the trans, I dont really know how I would feel about dumping 1k+ into a transmission that I probably wouldnt get any return from in the sale.

I was hoping to hear around the 4k price at the lowest, so I guess so far I was in the right ball park, hopefully its not wishful thinking. I understand the car has issues, but if I could get 4k for it, I'd probably sell it and sell what few remaining aftermarket parts I have laying around that are collecting dust due to lack of interest/funds.
That's cool, good news is there are always buyers for the aftermarket parts!
I must be getting old cause even with the T-tops out I still like to turn on the AC!!!
Old 08-21-2014, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

I saw your original response through email, and was not offended at all. I'm looking for honest opinions, and welcome the advice.

I appreciate the compliments about the description. This has been my baby since 2006 and I'd hate to let it go, but a house is more important and I can always get another LSx car later on. (and plan on it) I'm going to list it as accurately as I can so that I get an accurate/honest "appraisal" opinion from everyone here.

That being said, I'm looking for your type of response. I realise the car isn't pristine, and I have no plans to list it as such. People that respond with over inflated prices are just setting people up for disappointment.
Great! Best of luck with the house too.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:42 AM
Teching In

I must have had glazed eyes when I read the description.. No AC possibly bad trans.. I agree with everybody else then.. A buddy of mine bought a 00 SS with 120k for 4k with a bunch of stupid things wrong.. I'd say that 2.5-3k range is probably right with the A4.. Sorry for not reading thoroughly lol

Quick Reply: 1998 Trans AM