Notices
Vehicle Classifieds This an archive of the older vehicle classifieds, please create a new listing in our Marketplace.
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (State):

Color:

Transmission:

Drivetrain:

LS Engine?:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Part Fits:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Engine:

LS Engine?:

97 Z28 T56 Project Car (lots of extras) AFR Heads!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Z28 T56 Project Car (lots of extras) AFR Heads!!!

Year: 1997
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Camaro
Price: $1
Mileage: 115000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): SC
Color: Black
Transmission: Manual
Drivetrain: Rear Wheel Drive

1997 Camaro Z28 6-speed

-Black with T-Tops
-good dark gray leather with 30th anniversary logo embossed in seats (97 came with interior redesign, same as all 98-02 car interiors)
-18x8.5" HELO 5 spoke wheels
-Hurst shifter (short stick comes with car but not installed) leather Hurst ****
-SLP plug in manual override fan switch (if left off fan still operates automatically like stock)
-Perfect condition T-56 with new front seal and SPEC stage 2 clutch.
-K&N Cold Air Intake
-GM 1LE intake elbow
-Pacesetter Long Tube Headers Black with DEI header wrap and Black silicone sealed
-3" custom True Dual exhaust. X pipe and Dynomax Bullet Mufflers dumped before axle
-GM847 Cam
-1.52 ratio Comp Cams roller rockers on 7/16 screw in rocker studs
-correct length Comp Cams one piece hardened push rods w/ guide plates
-modified stock valve cover bracing to not contact rockers. (wanted to retain stock sleeper look)
-MadZ28 mail order tune for new cam specs. Car idled like a dream no cam surge at all. Was smoother than stock.
-slightly lowered fan operation temps from 215 to 205 degrees (if not manually switched on with SLP switch)
-Retained factory traction control operation
-Energy suspension Polyurethane Motor mounts and torque arm mount.
-Slotted rotors front and rear. with Hawk ceramic brake pads
-Car was purchased with a LS1 (98-02) 10 bolt axle (has larger rear rotors than LT1 car.
-Stock 3.42 rear gear before the modifications with only the K&N CAI car got 30 MPG on trip to Orlando and back.
-A/C Delete pulley (needs a new compressor to have A/C reinstalled

The car was parked after I noticed and oil pressure drop. It seemed to run around 5-10 psi when warm. Then upon pulling the oil plug I notice a lot of bearing material attached to the magnet. I have a youtube video of the car being backed into the garage for the last time and it hasn't moved since. The video does give you a good idea of how well the car sounded though. You will find the video if you search GM847 and look for the video titled "Last Start"

After the car was parked I began accumulating parts for the intended engine build I was going to do. The plan was 6" long forged rods with Lightweight aluminum pistons. Forged 383 stroker crank which would still maintain very near stock rod angularity with 6" rod replacing 5.7" stock rods.

Parts not installed since oil pressure dropped.

-AFR 195cc heads with 2.06/1.6 valves and springs installed (professionally ported to 212cc, 62cc chambers)
-LTX intake manifold ported to match heads and support a 58mm Throttle Body
-Lucas injectors 48#
-3 point sub frame connectors with bolt in option
-Fays 2 Watts link assembly to replace and correct rear panhard bar engineering deficiencies
-Energy suspension full poly urethane bushing kit for all suspension bushings

I can't remeber off the top of my head but I believe the car has 115-120K miles on it. The interior is unmolested and the dash pad isn't cracked. the only addition is the small black plastic SLP fan switch mounted directly by the shifter. This was my pride and joy but it had some flaws. The previous owner must have been rear ended at some point because the rear bumper seems to have been refitted. There seems to have been a repaint on the car and the front headlamps now have gloss black inside the bezels not the factory matte finish. The Car isn't a show car and was never meant to be. I was building it to be a street machine and to eventually take to HPDE track days at Road Atlanta, VIR, and Sebring. I never harrassed the car and destroyed anything on it. When ever something failed I looked to improve it instead of repair it. I was very meticulous and researched a lot on what I was planning to do on this car. I wanted it to look unassuming under the hood but put out N/A HP numbers slightly higher than a C6 Z06 mid to high 400's. I was planning on running Z06 6 piston calipers up front and Caddilac CTS-V rear brakes. I was going to upgrade to 18x10 rear wheels and maintain 18x8.5's up front to utilize the BFG KDW tires (the ones with the snake skin looking tread pattern). I was going to install a 6 point roll bar and racing seats with harnesses.

The car is still a perfect platform to do all of this on affordably and in my opinion would be much more enjoyable than a drag car that is constantly breaking parts. The idea of flying down the back straight at Road Atlanta at 150+ MPH is what I had in mind for this car.

In case you haven't figured it out yet I'm an Engineer and I was very particular on wanting the car to be different and retain as many of the stock functions as possible, unlike most cars which simply toss the traction control and sometimes the ABS as well. I also planned on putting the A/C back in the car.

This was a project my Dad and I looked forward to when we had the time and I had the money, but as my father unexpectedly passed away from a heart attack early this year, I haven't been able to focus on the Camaro. Fixing his MG that my parents drove on there honey moon has now taken top priority for me and the Camaro simply has to go.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Price is 4,000 OBO

Last edited by MadMike 97 Z28; 06-30-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

any offers will be entertained. very motivated to sell here. I don't want to start selling as parts. my loss is your gain. Original post edited to show all the head specs.

Last edited by MadMike 97 Z28; 06-30-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

nice price for the parts and car. Sorry to hear about your dad man good luck with the sale and make him proud with the MG
Old 07-02-2015, 07:02 AM
On The Tree

I sent you a PM - did you get it?
Old 07-04-2015, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

PM sent

Quick Reply: 97 Z28 T56 Project Car (lots of extras) AFR Heads!!!