Notices
Vehicle Classifieds This an archive of the older vehicle classifieds, please create a new listing in our Marketplace.
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (State):

Color:

Transmission:

Drivetrain:

LS Engine?:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Part Fits:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Engine:

LS Engine?:

1987 mustang coupe turbo ls swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1987 mustang coupe turbo ls swap

Year: 1987
Make: Ford
Model: Mustang
Price: $9500
Mileage: 1
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): TN
Color: Black
LS Engine?: Car has LS engine

This is a very well built ls swapped turbo mustang coupe. The body and interior is not pretty by any means but it is straight and solid. All the parts are less than two years old and less than 5000 miles. The car has been on discovery channel on the first episode of red devil racers. It made 587 on a mustang dyno. With a cam it should make quiet a bit more. The car dead hooks on the street and it pulls like a rocket. It has been grudge raced locally on the streets and has won races against much higher hp cars. This setup just works and it is hard to chase it down once it gets out on you. Like i said it dead hooks on the street. I am selling because i have two other race cars and i have no time for this one. Thanks for looking and let me know if you have any other questions. 8656964712 text or call is best because i rarely get on here.

Mod list:

Gen 4 5.3
arp rod bolts
arp head studs
ls9 gaskets
btr 660 springs retainers and locks
ls7 lifters
317 heads
ls6 cam
76mm turbonetics turbo (new)
35o turbo trans built
stall converter
built 8.8 rear with strange axles
weld rts wheels
sub frame connectors
big fuel system i think its a aeromotive 1000 but will have to check
sumped fuel cell
battery relocation
brand new recaro 2000 race seats with 5 point harness
nice cage
any other questions just ask and if i dont know the answer i will ask the guy that built it.
Car runs awesome. Never been to the track but it ran a g8 last weekend that ran 9.89 at 140 and this coupe out ran it by two cars
Attached Thumbnails 1987 mustang coupe turbo ls swap-c2.jpg   1987 mustang coupe turbo ls swap-coupe.jpg   1987 mustang coupe turbo ls swap-c1.jpg   1987 mustang coupe turbo ls swap-coupe1.jpg   1987 mustang coupe turbo ls swap-coupe2.jpg  

1987 mustang coupe turbo ls swap-coupe3.jpg   1987 mustang coupe turbo ls swap-coupe4.jpg   1987 mustang coupe turbo ls swap-coupe5.jpg   1987 mustang coupe turbo ls swap-coupe7.jpg   1987 mustang coupe turbo ls swap-coupe6.jpg  

1987 mustang coupe turbo ls swap-coupe8.jpg   1987 mustang coupe turbo ls swap-coupe9.jpg   1987 mustang coupe turbo ls swap-coupe10.jpg  
Old 07-23-2016, 05:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

Alot of car for the $ imo
Old 07-23-2016, 11:31 PM
Teching In

Thanks man. I have had a ton of interest but no cash yet
Old 07-24-2016, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Dang. Why is it I always find these deals after I buy something ? Don't guess u would want to give a lil cash and trade for 2000 FRC corvette ?
Old 07-25-2016, 12:24 AM
Teching In

Sorry. I took a deposit on the car today. It's already sold. Thanks for the interest. The new owner got a hell of a car for a hell of a deal. It's solid and fast!!
Old 05-28-2017, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not as advertised

I ended up buying this car from LS1TENNESSEE last year. I came across this post just now while researching turbo placement options for ls foxbodys and it made me realize I should post up my experience.

First thing we noticed when we rolled it off the trailer was it had trouble starting. The fuel pump made it about 15 more miles before dieing completely. It was a holley dominator, not an Aeromotive. Changed the pump and found that there wasn't a fuel filter in the canister. Rewired the pump from 14 gauge to 10 gauge and added a fuse that was never there.

Looking the car over couldn't confirm if it had 317 heads or not because the numbers on the head were ground out. The 5.3 seems to be a gen 3 and not a gen 4 because the cam position sensor is in the back and not the front. The crank position sensor is black which also leads me to believe that it's a gen 3. Maybe the rods have been swapped out for gen 4. Won't know until I tear that far into it.

Back on the road after the fuel pump replacement, we made a 5 mile trip to walmart and got a handful of 2nd gear pulls in before second gear decided to completely go out in the "built turbo 350". Up to this point we never had a 1st gear launch on the car. Dropped the pan and found a lot of metal, along with black transmission fluid filled with clutch material.

The old th350 wasn't a direct swap with our new fti powerglide because it came from a truck and had the 9" tailhousing. This lead me into learning about the driveshaft. Trans slip yoke is an old 1350 series but the ends on the shaft are 1330 series. The shaft is 3" steel which seems fine. The "built 8.8" still has the stock companion flange on it.

Also noticed while I was under the car that the weld rts wheel on the front drivers side was scarred up pretty good on the inside. Found a flat spot in that rotor and an big old dent in the drivers fender. The wheel had fallen off the car at one point! When i went to take the wheel off to look at it more, one lug was missing, two lug nits were stripped on there so good that I had to use an impact to break the lugs off, the last one came off fine

He did tell us that the car had cooling issues because the rad fan was too small. The turbo location was taking up too much space for a larger fan. He forgot to mention that the hotside piping was pulling the turbo into the water pump and grinding a hole into the exhaust housing. We just put a new hotside on the car to prevent the water pump from completely ruining the turbo housing and fit a larger fan on the radiator. We're using the old dinky fan as a transmission cooler fan now. The old hotside had tons rust falling off of it when we took the heat wrap off. The welds on on it had cracks in them to the point that I can see my hand on the other side of the pipe.

The subframe connectors are thin gauge rectangular tubing with welds that I'm afraid to do a kick test on.​​​

The "cage" is actually a 6 point roll bar with rusty welds on the floorboard. The 76 mm turbo has a 75 mm part number on it. The street ets have very little life left in them. I dunno how many spiders/hornets/mice have lived in this thing but I keep finding signs of them everwhere.

I will say that the car did pull well when we got to make a couple 2nd gear pulls with it.

We should have asked more questions before committing... way more questions.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow is this the same Mustang that had a oil pan that hung way to low ??
Old 05-31-2017, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by booboo37
Wow is this the same Mustang that had a oil pan that hung way to low ??
That's the one. I'm sure I'll keep finding things as time goes on. Forgot to mention that it's actually an 88 mustang, not an 87. Found that out when the first title didn't match the vin.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

OMG.....so what did you do about a title ??

The first time he put it up for sale, i told him he had the wrong oil pan on it and i showed him a picture of mine and he got pissed and deleted the add and wrote up this new one with less pics and info..
Old 06-01-2017, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Sorry to hear the bad luck as I almost bought the car

Quick Reply: 1987 mustang coupe turbo ls swap