What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

What To Look For

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What To Look For

Looking for a new car after a lady hit me here just recently. Here is the description of the car below in which I am interested in buying:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a nice TOY!!! 460RWHP / 435TQ. There have been a ton of upgrades:

Engine: Trickflow "As Cast" 220 heads, MS3 cam, FAST 92mm Intake Manifold, 92mm Throttle body, high flow oil pump, 60lb injectors, SLP Intake, Full Exhaust: Pacesetter Longtube headers, Off-Road Y, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, Underdrive pulley

Top end has only the best parts. The bottom has been rebuilt about 5,000 miles ago, but still has factory rotating assembly.

Transmission / Rear End: Pro 5.0 short shifter, Luk Pro clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Rebuilt approx 9,000 mile ago, Custom Lightweight Driveshaft, Moser 9" Rear End with 3.73 Gears

Looks & drives great, Mostly highway miles, Never seen snow, Non-smoker, Title in hand, Upgraded sound system, Well maintained

Cons: Like most F body cars, the door panels are cracked at the top. I have replaced both of the window motors recently, but in doing so, there was a mishap and the window tint was damaged on the driver's side.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Car has 105,000 miles on it. There are bubbles on the top of the roof behind the t-tops. And of course everything mentioned above. The guy is asking 10k for the car. Is this a good deal? If I go up to meet this guy, what should I be looking for to make sure this guy hasn't messed something in the engine up and trying to get rid of it? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images        

Last edited by 98WS6Hville; 08-31-2014 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Lack of clarification
Old 08-31-2014, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

a car like this id take to a shop to look over.

theres a ton of stuff done that could be costly if it breaks.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One concern is the MS3 and AFR 205 heads combo. Were there any reliefs in the valves or flycutting done when the bottom end was rebuilt? If not, PTV clearance will be close.The other huge one is how well the bottom end was rebuilt? Those should be legitimate questions.

How costly is it to have a shop look something like this over? What do they do to inspect everything to make sure everything checks out? Just a ballpark guesstimate is what I need. I'm extremely interested in the car, I just want to follow through this in a very safe manner, rather than being screwed over after buying the car.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The bottom has been rebuilt about 5,000 miles ago, but still has factory rotating assembly.

What am I missing? Isn't the rotating assembly the bottom end? From that description it still has the orig factory crankshaft and/or bearings with >100,000 miles. I'd be leery if anything in that engine had >100K miles on it and now has to handle a modified 460 hp (ie crank, crank bearings, pistons and rod bearings, cam shaft and bearings). What about the trans internals?

The attached pictures don't upload.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebrian
The bottom has been rebuilt about 5,000 miles ago, but still has factory rotating assembly.

What am I missing? Isn't the rotating assembly the bottom end? From that description it still has the orig factory crankshaft and/or bearings with >100,000 miles. I'd be leery if anything in that engine had >100K miles on it and now has to handle a modified 460 hp (ie crank, crank bearings, pistons and rod bearings, cam shaft and bearings). What about the trans internals?

The attached pictures don't upload.
Generally when I hear that phrase, it means that it spun a bearing, the crank got turned, and then reassembled with new bearings. I've seen too many people pop the old bearing out, slap a new one in and try to ditch the car before it spins again.

Quick Reply: What To Look For