What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2001 ws6 m6 18k

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 ws6 m6 18k

Ok so I am looking to get my first Trans Am and while I have a good idea on what the Camaros are worth I am at a total loss for the Firebirds. The car I am looking at is a 2001 Trans Am WS6 with a tick over 18K on the clock. Car is a M6 with T-tops, black exterior and the rare camel interior. The car is completely stock and very clean with the only known flaw being two rock chips in the passenger side headlight cover. Clean CARFAX, but he is the third owner, however he never registered the car. He bought the car at an auction on an impulse, and is now selling because he prefers the older muscle cars. Also to note the car is in NY.

So what is a fair price to pay for the car? Any and all insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

That's a bit disturbing that this very desirable low mileage car went to auction. It never should have which raises some questions. Have you checked the Carfax yet yourself or is that what he said? While not 100% flawless, Carfax can alert you to some issues. The current owner is obviously flipping the WS6 after picking it up for cheap at the auction. I don't buy the 'impulse' story.
Normally, a 6 speed WS6 with these ultra low miles would command a price $15,000 or more (especially at a dealer) if in truly 'very good to excellent' condition. There are so many other factors too which could affect the price. Original tires still on the car? You would need $800 for a new quality set. How about the fluid changes? Due to age, not miles, every fluid should have been flushed at least once. That could be $500 at a shop if you can't do it yourself. We are at $1,300 over purchase price now if everything is still original on the car. With an auction car unfortunately you probably have no history of the service unless the Carfax indicates it.
I'm not bring negative here but just looking out for you like I would for a friend or family member. I've been in the hobby for over 40 years now and just trying to help. This WS6 should not have been an auction car unless the prior owner (dealer) had a crazy price on it. Check the WS6 out thoroughly after the Carfax. Make sure it's real and don't overpay. If it all checks out and drives and shifts well, $15,000 would be fair 'private party' value. That $15k price, which is probably higher than KBB pricing, includes the premium attached to very low mileage cars. I'm not sure I would pay over that for a 3 owner auction ride however.
Best of luck and be careful!
Old 05-05-2015, 10:29 AM
Teching In

NC01TA,

Thank you for your input and for looking out for me. I too am concerned with it going to auction, however it might have been at a car auction like Barrett-Jackson. I plan on calling him later this week to straighten this out, as well as doing my own CARFAX to clear up any discrepancies. I will also use the tires and fluids as bargaining chips because he is definitely high on the price right now. I will be sure to update as soon as I learn more.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want PM me the VIN and I can run it for you
Old 05-05-2015, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I typically price the WS6 at about 10-15% more than a similar Camaro SS. In the 10K to 25K mileage range I would typically value a WS6 at about $2000 more the an SS....assuming common color, no rare options. $15K for a <20K '01/'02 WS6 M6 is a darn good price for a non-abused car that was well-maintained. I see dealers asking in the $20K's for similar cars....not that they are going to sell any time soon. 2001 Camaro SS M6 with 18K miles I'd figure around $15K....though potentially buyable in the 14's at the right spot in time. So a WS6 at around $16-$17K....subtract for the items NCO1TA mentioned. The 3 owner thing wouldn't scare me if the car was right. Though on your resale a 4 owner car could cause some concerns...esp. with such low miles. Battles GMC in Mass. has had a pair of low mileage black WS6's for like 2 years now...asking prices $20K to $25K. Little chance they will ever sell at those numbers. Your car here seems quite comparable with at most a -$2K adjustment for miles/year. One 2001 WS6 M6 I was looking at 3 years ago only had half of the problems listed on the CarFax. When I had the VIN run through GM service/warranty they came up with a pile of other stuff that condemned the car. It was probably the most abused and warrantied repaired car I had ever seen. That same car has since been repainted and interior redone to hide all the abuse. It was as if the owner was bent on trying to destroy everything mechanical in the car before the orig 3 yr warranty expired (clutch & shifter, 2 exhaust systems, 2 sets of brakes, window motors, side window motors, engine rod bearings, clutch, etc.). And they did all that in <15K miles!

I recall 2 years ago a 2002 SOM Camaro SS A4 with 4K miles. The car was mint. It had gone to the auctions as I recall, and then bought by a dealer who was trying to get $23K-$24K for it. No such luck. After a year of trying they bailed on it in the upper teens for a loss. Sometimes a car just doesn't sell for whatever reason and the auction is the quickest place to unload it. Sometimes sellers are hoping for lightning to strike at the auction where 2 bidders will run it up. I would think any decent dealer could quickly get $16K+ for a 18K miles '01/'02 M6 WS6. Those are the most in demand cars of the 4th gens. Stone chips in a headlight cover is a lot easier fix that if it were on the hood. I wouldn't pay any extra for a camel interior....but maybe someone would. I'll trade rare camel for more "common" SOM. Speaking of rare, there's a guy in NC who is selling a 16K mile 2001 SOM Firehawk formula M6. That's the car that came out of Puerto Rico 3 years ago.

Last edited by Firebrian; 05-05-2015 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 96LS1CamaroM6
NC01TA,

Thank you for your input and for looking out for me. I too am concerned with it going to auction, however it might have been at a car auction like Barrett-Jackson. I plan on calling him later this week to straighten this out, as well as doing my own CARFAX to clear up any discrepancies. I will also use the tires and fluids as bargaining chips because he is definitely high on the price right now. I will be sure to update as soon as I learn more.
No problem. I didn't think of a BJ or Mecum auction in this instance. That would be different. I was thinking a wholesale dealer auction. Didn't mean to throw you off if I did. I should never assume.
You should take up hardbones VIN offer. Firebrian always has very helpful pricing input too.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all your input guys. Hardbones was able to run the VIN for me and it turns out the car was sold at a dealer auction to the current owner. So NC01TA you were right, and I will dig deeper into that matter. Other than that the car history looks pretty normal, but I am still being cautious.
I agree on the fact that the camel interior doesn't add value for me, but I just wanted to make sure they weren't worth anything extra. I would 100% give up the camel interior for a SOM car, but I am a huge fan of black so I won't complain.
I am talking to the guy again this weekend to try and set up a time to see the car and ask more questions. Thanks again all.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Best of luck! Follow up here if you can, or if you need more help. We are always interested in what transpires.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been eying the same car, IMO he is very close to what he needs to be, the camel int does add some value in that it takes a typical black ws6 car and bring it into a low prod numbers car, I would pay extra, IMO if the SOM is what your after and in that price range, you can easily acquire one and should hold out for a SOM car
Old 05-10-2015, 08:38 PM
Teching In

I would say forget the back story for a second, if the car is original and clean it has to 15k imo. This is taking the is-what-it-is approach. If this car is super clean and has 18k on it, it was most likely stored inside and someone drove it here and there. Now back to the auction and no reg., car is getting flipped. But I would not be to concerned about it being at a sale. There is a number of reasons it could have been there, someone traded on a new car and the dealer sent it right to auction for quick profit, also owner could have passed away or just needed cash (money problems, divorce,ect..) and they sold it to a dealer for cash who in turn sent it to the sale. All in all the car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. What is the asking price?
Old 05-11-2015, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Vmack, 17 takes it
Old 05-11-2015, 08:08 PM
Teching In

17k 15k whatever it takes. sounds like a nice car to me price seems reasonable. I bought one brand new in 2000 and it was a great car. If I had to choose one between my 11ss or the ws6 would be hard to choose the better car.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Just wanted to update on this thread but I believe the car was sold for about 17k. Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I currently have my eye on a c5 z06 with 14,000 miles on it for the same price but the paint needs some TLC. So we will see what happens. If not I will just wait it out until I can find a SOM WS6.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Well now we know what its worth. lol
Old 05-28-2015, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes it sold for 17 on ebay, might of been 16900 cant remember
Old 05-28-2015, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 96LS1CamaroM6
Just wanted to update on this thread but I believe the car was sold for about 17k. Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I currently have my eye on a c5 z06 with 14,000 miles on it for the same price but the paint needs some TLC. So we will see what happens. If not I will just wait it out until I can find a SOM WS6.
found a SOM but its been deemed a loss at some point from insurance and carfaz shows two hits both severe damge
Old 05-29-2015, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the update 96LS1CamaroM6. Good luck with the next one.

Quick Reply: 2001 ws6 m6 18k