Notices
Vehicle Classifieds This an archive of the older vehicle classifieds, please create a new listing in our Marketplace.
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (State):

Color:

Transmission:

Drivetrain:

LS Engine?:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Part Fits:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Engine:

LS Engine?:

98 Twin Turbo T/A

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 Twin Turbo T/A

Year: 1998
Make: Pontiac
Model: Trans Am
Price: $18000
Mileage: 2500
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): MI
Color: White
Transmission: Manual
Drivetrain: Rear Wheel Drive
LS Engine?: Car has LS engine

Here is your chance to own an absolute MONSTER setup at a fraction of the cost of the build.

Twin Turbo 1998 Pontiac Trans Am.

Car was completely built less than 1 year ago. I started assembling this project when my single turbo car did not seem like "enough". Something about saying "Twin Turbo", just makes everything seem better.

The car has had a severe conversion done and hardly a single component has remained untouched. The engine compartment has also been shaved, all wiring relocated to behind dash, and painted. The paint and filler has some trouble spots as of recently near the turbo's in the front. I have learned that with driving 45k miles a year, a cruising car is not as desirable. I have decided to part ways with my project at the point the car was on the chassis dyno and developed a knocking noise. Oil filter currently has metal shavings in it indicating a component failure. Might be simple or could be catastrophic. I do have a 408 stroker built and ready to go for the car, but I just can not justify continuing this build when my passion for it is no longer there. I am not certain the extent of the damage. Currently it drives still but has a pretty loud noise. Tuner advised bringing a trailer to pick up vehicle and I will be grabbing it Friday.

Here are the details:

Engine:
The engine is the cast iron LQ9. Rotating assembly is Eagle Rods, Wiseco -20cc forged pistons and hellfire rings. All fasteners in engine are ARP stud. Cylinder heads were factory castings port and polished by Dowker Racing in Charlotte, MI. Heads have titanium intake and exhaust valves with dual springs rated for .675 lift with titanium retainers and keepers. Rockers are yella terra non adjustable and the push rods are 7.4" chromoly comp cam. Lifters are CTSVR. Camshaft is the Texas Speed TU2 cam giving great spooling characteristics with a great sounding lope. Cam is advanced 2 degrees currently with a cloyes adjustable timing set. Oil pump is Texas speed ported pump and comes with SFI approved balancer.. Engine was assembled about 7k miles ago with all fresh machining and tri armor bearings. Car made a best of 675WHP at 4700RPM. After that the power fell right off and we started having issues. That was on 14 psi. Engine sounds awesome and absolutely rips!

Transmission:
TR6060 built by D&D motorsports from Wixom MI. Comes with PRO 5.0 shifter, McCleod twin disc clutch with upgraded flywheel, and blow proof bell housing. Also has the Tick adjustable Slave cylinder. Transmission shifts flawlessly and has not had any racing passes on it yet. I upgraded from the t56 magnum that I purchased from an individual on this site used that had sever issues. I am certain this transmission will hold up to any abuse you can give it as well as the clutch.

Rear End
Moser 12 bolt built by DTS in Ionia, MI. Has Moser axles, Detroit Tru Trac, 3:43 gear set, ARP wheel studs, 1350 series yoke, and girdle cover. I asked them to build me a rear differential that can handle 2000hp of abuse. This was their solution.

Suspension/Chassis:
Rear suspension has been converted to allow true dual over the axle 3" exhaust. Panhard rod, anti bump steer it, and rear control arms are all adjustable. Also had an Edelbrock non adjustable torque arm with tunnel mounted torque arm relocation bracket. BMR Driveshaft loop, Burkhardt Chassis front bumper support, UMI tubular k member, tubular welded in subframe connectors, Eibach Sportline springs, QA1 single adjustable shocks in rear and single adjustable coil overs in the front. Hotchkis Strut Tower brace as well. The engine compartment has also been redesigned and rebraced for clearance of turbo piping and to strengthen the chassis.

Electrical:
All gauges are aftermarket Autometer Ultra Lite excluding both AEM Uego widebands and oil pressure gauge (Autometer cobalt c2 series). Ultralites are: Boost, Tach, Speedometer, Fuel Level, Fuel pressure, Voltage, coolant temp, and oil pressure. Nicely inlaid into factory looking dash structure with carbon fiber inlay and LED indicators. PCM is a 2000 upgrade with a standalone wiring harness from PSI Conversion. PCM is located in front of the shifter and fuse block is behind glove box eliminating nearly any visible wiring. 4 overhead switches control the Line Loc, Meziere Street Electric water pump, Spal cooling fan, and fuel pumps. Vehicle also has AEM progressive methanol injection with dual nozzles. Launch control is done with a MSD 2 step that lets you shoot some pretty fun fireballs. Tuning is done VIA HP tuners 3 bar SD OS and the HP tuners PRO and laptop will be included with the sale. Battery is relocated to RR with BMR relocation bracket. Sero is very basic head unit with upgraded speakers. I am not certain speaker brand. rarely listened to music and they were already upgraded when I purchased the vehicle.

Fueling:
Besides the methanol injection, the system operates flawlessly with 83 lb/hr fuel injectors supplied by twin 5/8" steel line into -8 braided alcohol safe AN line. Dual in take Aeromotive stealth 355's supply the FAST fuel rails with an Aeromotive return style progressive regulator.This system will supply all the fuel you could ever need for a easy single digit street car.

Turbo Setup:
twin GT3571R ball bearing turbo's. These are fed by tubular forward facing manifolds and controlled by dual Tial 38mm gates which are in turn controlled by a manual boost controller located by the throttlebody. Turbo's spool well and are absolute MONSTERS. Both turbo's have K&N filters and are 3" v band exits. Exhaust system is true dual mandrel bent all the way out the rear bumper over axle with Pypes M80 mufflers. It sounds PERFECT. Great growl without shaking the entire world. Intercooler is a Treadstone twin turbo core air to air and vehicle runs dual blow off valves. Turbo system ahs seen as much as 22 psi when testing it out. No power numbers from this unfortunately.

Cooling system:
Keeping the car cool in Chicago stop and go traffic is a breeze. I put on the Meziere electric street waterpump that is fed by braided AN hose via a triple pass Eastwood radiator. The Eastwood setup will keep the car at about 190 degrees in 95 degree stop and go in Chicago for 4 hours straight. It works AWESOME! You will not EVER see excessive temps from this setup. Radiator has a custom fit polished aluminum shroud with a 16" puller fan that operates via PCM or for cool downs between runs, one of the overhead switches in the cockpit.

Interior:
Sparco REV drivers seat with SFI approved 5 point harness. Sparco Steering wheel ties it together well and the passenger seat is a black racing seat with red stitching. Interior is in excellent shape with Ebony leather rear seats.Dual gauge pillar pod was necessary to house the dual widebands. Car is extremely comfortable to cruise and holds you just right when cornering.

Exterior:
Exterior paint is that of a drivers car. It could use a buff from the build and driving. Factory ram air hood had to be modified and currently has hood pins to keep it down. Rims are ZR1 19's and 18's. I run a Bridgestone RE11 tire front and rear. Vehicle will come with brand new rear 305/30R19 RE11 tires since the rears currently are missing some tread : )

I am certain there are plenty of other items I am forgetting. I have spent a long time accumulating parts for this build and enjoyed the process greatly! The car is a great car for anyone looking to dominate the street. Install the cam into a stock 5.3 and get the boost into 18 psi and you will be near the 1000 RWHP figures. Or, for additional $, the forged 408 stroker that was built for this project can be purchased. A set of heads on that and you are well on your way to low 8 second passes.

The car is currently complete and drive able. I am not certain what caused the power loss at such a low RPM. Car should be well able to operate into the 9k RPM territory. All components of the build were designed to be able to rev out to there. It may be a damaged lifter as the spring rate is a bit aggressive for the CTSVR lifter. I do not want to continue owning this car into the winter. If I do, I will be to tempted to put the 408 stroker in. If the car is not sold before the 15th, I will be parting it out. Parts lsit with fire sale on all the items will bring me roughly $20k assuming the engine is completely destroyed. Save me some time and effort and purchase vehicle whole for a whole lot less.

Price is $18k OBO. Located near Lansing, MI. PM me, call or text 616-835-1464. I have a few videos of the vehicle on the two step, idling, and a 12 psi pull. Serious buyers can get these videos sent over to them.

Car has only seen a best of a 10.7 at 132 on 8 psi with no meth, no tune, 10 degrees of total timing, and no 2 step. Very little racing has been done. The car deserves an owner who will enjoy it at the track and I find myself not having the time for it.
Attached Thumbnails 98 Twin Turbo T/A-side-shot.jpg   98 Twin Turbo T/A-capture.png   98 Twin Turbo T/A-engine.jpg   98 Twin Turbo T/A-interior-2.jpg   98 Twin Turbo T/A-sprayed.jpg  

Old 10-06-2015, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

More details
Attached Thumbnails 98 Twin Turbo T/A-img_0521.jpg   98 Twin Turbo T/A-interior.jpg   98 Twin Turbo T/A-manifolds.jpg   98 Twin Turbo T/A-wiring.jpg  
Old 10-11-2015, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Sold! To the guy cruising down the highway next to me and flagged me down!!

Good luck with this monster! I am excited to see what it does!

Quick Reply: 98 Twin Turbo T/A