What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

00 WS6 Convertible.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 02:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Default 00 WS6 Convertible.

I am considering selling my WS6 vert. I am usually pretty good at estimating price, but these things are rare as crap and it's hard to find examples.

158K miles on it. Rebuilt LQ4 motor. Stage 2 T-56 that's still under warranty. Bright red, black leather, has the hard boot, new headlight motors, double DIN touch screen NAV unit, everything works on it. Doesn't leak a drop of oil, hot idles at 55PSI. Paint is driver quality, some shitheel scratched my passenger quarter panel in a parking lot.

Has the typical Fbody crap. Drivers seat stitching has come undone, dash pad is cracked, door panels have single cracks. The top is iffy, it doesn't leak, but it's pretty loose. Already stretched it once, needs it again.

It's a 100% driver. Decent enough to win a trophy in a fairly stacked 00's class. Any thoughts?

Old 06-26-2016, 05:57 AM
Launching!

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Here are examples found. The Appleton and St. Louis ones are in excellent condition. Convertibles are viewed differently with higher mileage versus a coupe. Their demand drops steeply.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5647469044.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/5617019212.html

http://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/5615149921.html

http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/cto/5650520298.html

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/5616321060.html
Old 06-26-2016, 08:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

While yours looks exceptionally GOOD for a car with those miles I certainly agree with 70T/A400 that the value won't be there. KBB will probably be close to spot on for your 'vert, even with the mods and what you have described (thanks for saying that it isn't in great shape with no details). Rarity may allow you to ask a bit more, but with it probably needing a new top, and the other cosmetic issues, don't expect it. Rarity really doesn't apply too much in this instance. All you can do is try. I'm guessing that $6,000 will be the KBB price in your zip code, so perhaps $6,500 - $7,000 might be a good place to start. You can always lower the price later. I can't imagine many buyers out there that would pay more than book for a 158,000 miles car to be honest, then spend more to repair things if that is what they wanted to do. I hope this price range is what you had in mind. GLWS!!
Old 06-26-2016, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 70T/A400
Here are examples found. The Appleton and St. Louis ones are in excellent condition. Convertibles are viewed differently with higher mileage versus a coupe. Their demand drops steeply.
Thanks for the response. That's usually what I was finding, going from 15-20K in really good shape, down below 10K with higher miles.

Originally Posted by NC01TA
While yours looks exceptionally GOOD for a car with those miles I certainly agree with 70T/A400 that the value won't be there. KBB will probably be close to spot on for your 'vert, even with the mods and what you have described (thanks for saying that it isn't in great shape with no details). Rarity may allow you to ask a bit more, but with it probably needing a new top, and the other cosmetic issues, don't expect it. Rarity really doesn't apply too much in this instance. All you can do is try. I'm guessing that $6,000 will be the KBB price in your zip code, so perhaps $6,500 - $7,000 might be a good place to start. You can always lower the price later. I can't imagine many buyers out there that would pay more than book for a 158,000 miles car to be honest, then spend more to repair things if that is what they wanted to do. I hope this price range is what you had in mind. GLWS!!
I hate it when people don't bother with details. The KBB always shows either stupid low, or stupid high in my area. In good condition, it shows it to be worth $4500. Only shows $12.5 for one with 23K miles and excellent condition. So yeah, it's basically completely worthless here and no one even bothers with it, unless they're fixing to whip out a lowball offer.

In my area, WS6 cars bring a premium and the miles aren't as big a deal. There is a 99 T-top with 190K on it and the asking price is 9K, then there is an 00 t-top with 158K and some mods for $14K.

I think I can do a little better than $7k, but no way do I get over 10K.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

I'm surprised KBB is that low. That doesn't help you sell the car. People use KBB as a guide or tool in many instances. That's too bad. Each area of the country is certainly different and only you know your area best. Asking $9,000 is quite high IMO but isn't outrageous enough to stop buyers from at least inquiring. They know it is open for negotiations. If no one calls, then you know it's too high. Never any harm in trying. Again, good luck. Would certainly appreciate any updates as time passes, either positive or negative. It just helps others see real transactions and efforts.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I'm surprised KBB is that low. That doesn't help you sell the car. People use KBB as a guide or tool in many instances. That's too bad. Each area of the country is certainly different and only you know your area best. Asking $9,000 is quite high IMO but isn't outrageous enough to stop buyers from at least inquiring. They know it is open for negotiations. If no one calls, then you know it's too high. Never any harm in trying. Again, good luck. Would certainly appreciate any updates as time passes, either positive or negative. It just helps others see real transactions and efforts.
Yeah, the KBB blows in my state, NADA is closer at $8900. If I could get in the $8k range, I would probably sell.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think KBB varies all that much by state. At least I don't see that. If anything, it might show a premium for states where WS6's don't show up very often (like Alaska?).

In any case, last time I was looking for WS6 verts in 2011-2013, and I was looking at a lot of them, here's what I could have bought. A 2001 NBM A4 with 12K miles for $17,500 (that was a great price). A 1999 black A4 with mid-20's mileage from a dealer in the mid-west at $14,000. I saw a number of 2001-2002 verts in my region with 55K miles or so with asking prices around $14K. Now tack on another 100,000 miles to that and you probably end up with at least a $6K, and up to an $8K difference. The much better values are the ones with 75K miles and less. Mileage always is a big player, even if the price guides tend to under-estimate it.

I find that that the KBB price spread (private party vg condition) on this vehicle is $5,000. So they aren't that far off. So add another $1,000. If it's an M6 add another $1,000 for that. I'd probably toss in another $1K-$2K for the fact that your engine and trans are fairly fresh, even if not stock. Winning a trophy at a show is always fun. But, it's not always a good indicator of what one's car is worth. I routinely won trophies with my Mopar verts 10 years ago....and one of the reasons was I had an unfair advantage showing my car open vs. the hardtops. Not really a fair comparison as the verts look cool with the top down. NADA at $8900 doesn't seem unreasonable if the important nits were fixed (ie new top, dash cracks fixed/replaced, driver's seat cover).

Last edited by Firebrian; 06-26-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Firebrian
I don't think KBB varies all that much by state. At least I don't see that. If anything, it might show a premium for states where WS6's don't show up very often (like Alaska?).

In any case, last time I was looking for WS6 verts in 2011-2013, and I was looking at a lot of them, here's what I could have bought. A 2001 NBM A4 with 12K miles for $17,500 (that was a great price). A 1999 black A4 with mid-20's mileage from a dealer in the mid-west at $14,000. I saw a number of 2001-2002 verts in my region with 55K miles or so with asking prices around $14K. Now tack on another 100,000 miles to that and you probably end up with at least a $6K, and up to an $8K difference. The much better values are the ones with 75K miles and less. Mileage always is a big player, even if the price guides tend to under-estimate it.

I find that that the KBB price spread (private party vg condition) on this vehicle is $5,000. So they aren't that far off. So add another $1,000. If it's an M6 add another $1,000 for that. I'd probably toss in another $1K-$2K for the fact that your engine and trans are fairly fresh, even if not stock. Winning a trophy at a show is always fun. But, it's not always a good indicator of what one's car is worth. I routinely won trophies with my Mopar verts 10 years ago....and one of the reasons was I had an unfair advantage showing my car open vs. the hardtops. Not really a fair comparison as the verts look cool with the top down. NADA at $8900 doesn't seem unreasonable if the important nits were fixed (ie new top, dash cracks fixed/replaced, driver's seat cover).
I've never been a fan of the KBB. Fun example, my mom bought a 1 owner Mark VIII in incredible condition for $4200, the KBB calls that same car for $2700. My dad on the other hand bought an F250 for $8k, and the KBB is $9700. People around me just don't seem to use it. I've only seen one guy use it to negotiate.

I know the trophy doesn't mean much for the value, but it does show that it's not a total clapped out POS either.

From what I've seen here, I think $8K is fairly reasonable. Now I just have to continue the war with myself to see if I actually want to sell it.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

It's a great looking car... Didn't you just buy it and replace a GTO? You also have a C4 I believe...?
Old 01-30-2024, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I've thought about selling my 2000 ragtop, but with 175k miles, even though it's in good to very good condition, it won't bring much. Certainly not enough to come close to replacing it with something as much fun.

Quick Reply: 00 WS6 Convertible.