Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Default New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview

Hey guys, this will be the landing spot for all information/photos related to the new Hooker 1968-72 A-body LS swap system components I'm currently developing here at Holley. Feel free to ask any questions along the path of development and I'll be glad to answer them. At this point in time I don't have any part numbers or projected release dates to share, so please keep those questions until we get another 30 days down the road from now. The pic attached here shows the mock-up engine and attached header prototypes sitting in the car we borrowed from a member here on ls1tech last week. I'm working on digitizing the engine bracket geometry now and producing the CAD models of mounts so I can cut out samples next week and get them mounted in the car for test fitting. After that, it's onto the prototyping of the full 2.5" and 3" exhaust systems. I'm going to install an aftermarket rear sway bar into the car before I prototype the exhaust systems and would like input from you A-body guys as to which bar seems to be the most popular...Hotchkis maybe?
The following users liked this post:
chevymec (06-24-2020)
Old 10-14-2015, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Awesome.

Todd, since you got a 70 GTO there, any chance of making 70 GTO specific tailpipes that will pass through the rear valance?

Andrew
Old 10-14-2015, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Awesome.

Todd, since you got a 70 GTO there, any chance of making 70 GTO specific tailpipes that will pass through the rear valance?

Andrew
I'm not sure on that at this point Andrew, that will be up to the management team to tell me if they want to accommodate that GTO specific feature or not.
The following users liked this post:
Sleeper 71 lemans (08-03-2020)
Old 10-14-2015, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I'm not sure on that at this point Andrew, that will be up to the management team to tell me if they want to accommodate that GTO specific feature or not.
At the very least it would be wise to take measurements while you have the car there, just in case later on there is expressed demand. I'd buy one...LOL

I assume a T56 crossmember is part of the plan? If so, a pre-made tunnel would be very cool too since that's require for an A-body.

As for the sway bar, Hotchkis (that's what I have) is popular, so is RideTech, so is Hellwig. I can't remember how far the sway bar is from the balancer on my GTO. I have Corvette accessories and balancer. I can go to the storage unit and snap some pictures if that will help.

Andrew
Old 10-15-2015, 07:04 AM
TECH Junkie

At the very least it would be wise to take measurements while you have the car there, just in case later on there is expressed demand. I'd buy one...LOL

I assume a T56 crossmember is part of the plan? If so, a pre-made tunnel would be very cool too since that's require for an A-body.

As for the sway bar, Hotchkis (that's what I have) is popular, so is RideTech, so is Hellwig. I can't remember how far the sway bar is from the balancer on my GTO. I have Corvette accessories and balancer. I can go to the storage unit and snap some pictures if that will help.

Andrew
Tom is sending me the rear valance for the car and once I get it installed I'll be able to better assess the tip possibilities. Yes, the T56/T56 Magnum and 4L80 transmissions will likely require their own crossmember; TH350, TH400, 2004R or 4L60-4L70 transmissions will be able to be installed using a stock Chevelle crossmember. If you can send me a few photos, that would be great.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am running hellwig bars f & r. are you going to make a crossmember for the el camino and convertible frames? i have the holley kit in my camaro so its good to see that your doing A body kits now. need some headers that will clear the valve on the drivers rail and that will not be to low. hope to see lots of pics of development of the kit.
thanks toddoky and holley !!
Old 10-17-2015, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow its nice to see my car with the LS mock up engine! In regard to Andrews comment on the pre made tunnel Todd has free reign to cut anything necessary to make that part (wish I had removed the seats and carpet prior to dropping the car).

I will be using the Helwig sway bars and would be happy to have a sent to the shop if you want to check fitment/clearance.

The plan for the rest of the chassis is an SC&C AFX suspension package, Helwig frame stiffener kit (I will have to mod the trans X-member), C6Z brakes and a Ford 9 inch. Can't wait for the kit to be completed so I can get started building my GTO.

Thanks again to Todd and Holley for allowing me to provide my car for this development.

Last edited by 968ls1; 10-17-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rallystyle
i am running hellwig bars f & r. are you going to make a crossmember for the el camino and convertible frames? i have the holley kit in my camaro so its good to see that your doing A body kits now. need some headers that will clear the valve on the drivers rail and that will not be to low. hope to see lots of pics of development of the kit.
thanks toddoky and holley !!
No word has come from management as to whether we will be investigating the prospect of offering convertible/El Camino specific transmission crossmembers. I will mention that point during the next design review for the standard A-Body parts and try to get an answer I can post up. There will be no problem on the headers clearing the brake proportioning valve and having good ground clearance. I will post more pictures as progress is made.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 968ls1
Wow its nice to see my car with the LS mock up engine! In regard to Andrews comment on the pre made tunnel Todd has free reign to cut anything necessary to make that part (wish I had removed the seats and carpet prior to dropping the car).

I will be using the Helwig sway bars and would be happy to have a sent to the shop if you want to check fitment/clearance.

The plan for the rest of the chassis is an SC&C AFX suspension package, Helwig frame stiffener kit (I will have to mod the trans X-member), C6Z brakes and a Ford 9 inch. Can't wait for the kit to be completed so I can get started building my GTO.

Thanks again to Todd and Holley for allowing me to provide my car for this development.
Hey Tom, why don't you go ahead and ship that rear Helwig anti-sway bar, so I can try and accommodate it with the exhaust routing as well.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Will do-Thanks Todd.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Hellwig rear SB is on the way!
Old 10-19-2015, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see this happening!
Old 10-19-2015, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Todd,

You do realize that after making all of these kits for various popular chassis, the next logical step is to develop turbo kits, right? :-)

Andrew
Old 10-19-2015, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Todd,

You do realize that after making all of these kits for various popular chassis, the next logical step is to develop turbo kits, right? :-)

Andrew
I'd be game for it.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Progress update 10/23

I've gotten the geometry worked out for the rear set-back engine brackets and readied the car for the prototyping of the exhaust system next week.

Last edited by Toddoky; 10-23-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think there will be a lot of differences between the 68-72 GM A-bodies than the 64-67 A-bodies. You should be able to swing into that group of cars quite easily.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
I don't think there will be a lot of differences between the 68-72 GM A-bodies than the 64-67 A-bodies. You should be able to swing into that group of cars quite easily.
I believe the early cars are different enough that they require different headers. There is also the wheelbase difference when considering the whole exhaust system.

Andrew
Old 10-23-2015, 05:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
I suspect that the headers will bolt onto an LS engine in the early cars, but I'm not anticipating that any of these components will provide optimized fitment in those applications.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What transmission is in that car. Are you doing mods to the tunnel for tremec or t56 install.

Tim
Old 10-24-2015, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
What transmission is in that car. Are you doing mods to the tunnel for tremec or t56 install.

Tim
The transmission in place in the last photos was a 4L60; I cycle through mock-ups with all the GM auto transmission cases we plan to accomodate in the swap application as well to validate that the desired engine inclination angle can be acheived regardless of the transmission used. Yes, the floor will be cut in the T56 fitment validation phase.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview