Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

7" Android Head Unit Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 7" Android Head Unit Review

When I bought this car a month ago, the previous owner had some old school Alpine single DIN head unit in it and it’s been begging to be replaced. I was happy to discover that they make bezels to easily fit a double DIN screens now! I went back and forth on brands and none of them had all my “wants” and at a price that I can deal with. I decided to see how far along android head units have come. After a little reading I was pleased about the specs. While they’re not the best, they’re far from the worse. I was unsure about the quality of the unit, I mean it is a “China Special” sort of deal for $300 shipped. Since Amazon carries them, I felt more comfortable about trying it out before committing to a name brand unit.

I bit the bullet ordered a Joying JY-UQ130 (yes that’s the actual brand) 7” screen. It runs on KitKat 4.4.4, quad core 1.6mhz processor, 1GB RAM, 16GB flash memory, GPS, Wi-Fi, microSD slot, 2 USB extensions, etc….more or less a phone in your dash. I also got a Bafx OBD2 Bluetooth dongle so I could run Torque, mainly for the “cool” factor. Install was pretty straight forward and like any other head unit I’ve installed. The only thing extra I had to do was trim the Metra bezel to accommodate the screen. I knew it was going to be a tight fit, reviews on it said it is 1mm too big, but in reality I had to trim about 1/8” off each side. Top and bottom were a perfect fit.

So far I’m freaking loving it! It’s louder and sounds better than the old head unit, one of the things I was worried about. It takes about 20-30 seconds to boot, but I have remote start so I’ll rarely have to wait. It’ll take me a week or 2 to figure out what I want on the home screen, what widgets I’ll use, if I want more than 1 screen, what extra apps I may want, etc. I have my Nexus 6p setup for a hotspot, so I have internet on the go. I think in reality, internet will only be good for updating the weather widget and adding metadata to my music as required. You can change button color with this too, which was a definite requirement for me. I can get into the factory settings using “126” as the password. This will allow me to change the boot up screen and bunch of other random stuff. Please ignore my quick Photoshop for a background, I still need to play a little more to get something that looks legit.

I’m running Action Launcher, the stock one kinda sucks. Torque app came pre-installed and works nicely with the Bafx dongle. I need to spend a little time setting it up properly and they do make extra apps for it so I can put gauges as widgets on my home screen or 2nd screen. I haven’t tried using the GPS app that came pre-installed but from what I can tell it came be used offline and has a 2nd microSD slot that’s already filled with maps for it. I’ve also tried Google Maps and so far works great as well. I’ll likely use Maps since I’ll have internet connection while driving. While Gmail came pre-installed too, I turned off Gmail notifications. I need no extra distractions while driving. Using the default music app, it starts playing on start-up which is nice and another concern I had. It has a 2nd Bluetooth channel (for lack of better words) so you can connect your phone and use it for calls.

Other than having to modify the bezel, there are only a couple negatives to the unit. I wish it had more than 1GB of RAM, even though it’s really snappy as is. It has 1GB of internal space for apps, but also has 16GB of flash memory. Wish it ran on Lollipop or better yet Marshmallow, but KitKat isn’t bad. I read that Joying supposedly fixing to release an update to Lollipop though. Lastly you can’t control a subwoofer. It DOES have RCA output for one, you just can’t control it through the screen. It does have an EQ and also read people were using the PowerAmp app for further control.

I’m unsure why no name brand manufacturers make an Android head unit. Being android makes this unit so awesome because it’s FULLY customizable to your own taste. I have zero regrets buying it and look forward to some more time setting it up to my liking. I’ll keep this thread alive with updates on how it’s doing over time and especially when I get the home screen setup. This unit also has steering wheel control wire (PAC-RC has been ordered) and that’s what the pigtail on my harness will be for since everything was soldered. In the settings you can apparently dictate what button does what…not totally sure why since I’ll be programming the PAC. Fingers crossed it will work fine.

CODES:
To get into "factory settings" type 126 as the password. In this menu you can change the boot up logo to Pontiac arrow or Chevrolet bowtie or GM logo

To root device go into "factory settings" under settings menu. For password type *#HCT#ROOT# & hit enter. Will say ADB ROOT and you'll have a SuperSU menu under settings afterwards.

Video of screen booting up. I have changed my homepage a good bit since originally installing it as I found the need to add or remove items from it. As of now it consists of PowerAmp widget, clock & weather widget and digital speedometer widget (Torque)

Name:  IMG_2671.jpg
Views: 5811
Size:  135.9 KB
Name:  IMG_2673.jpg
Views: 5781
Size:  174.5 KB
Name:  IMG_2674.jpg
Views: 5776
Size:  156.6 KB
Name:  IMG_2681.jpg
Views: 5738
Size:  162.1 KB
Name:  IMG_2685.jpg
Views: 5779
Size:  83.8 KB
Name:  IMG_2689.jpg
Views: 5819
Size:  181.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2706.jpg
Views: 5744
Size:  162.1 KB
Name:  IMG_2716.jpg
Views: 5836
Size:  96.4 KB
Name:  IMG_2727.jpg
Views: 5908
Size:  180.8 KB
Name:  IMG_2728.jpg
Views: 6007
Size:  186.1 KB
Name:  IMG_2729.jpg
Views: 6142
Size:  171.0 KB
Name:  IMG_2734.jpg
Views: 6163
Size:  158.4 KB

Last edited by InfiniteReality; 04-01-2016 at 06:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
br549 (11-22-2019)
Old 02-08-2016, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it have XM?
Old 02-08-2016, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve ***
Does it have XM?
I don't think so. Has Pandora tho.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Hmm, looks good. Usually I try to avoid off brand stuff like that at my shop cause a lot of the time it comes back in a month or two not working properly.

How much did you end up paying for the h/u?

And let me know if it continues to work well for you, I've been looking for a ddin that integrates better than the mainstream radios
Old 02-09-2016, 12:09 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve ***
Does it have XM?
Doesn't XM sound like crap ?

You could, if you really wanted to. If you can listen to XM on your smartphone, you can listen to XM on this headunit.

But there's so many better options out there in the streaming world
Old 02-09-2016, 12:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
It’s louder and sounds better than the old head unit, one of the things I was worried about.
So it really sounds better than the Alpine ??

I'm sticking to an old school (top of the line) Premier Pioneer because I hated the sound quality of the newer double din units...
Old 02-09-2016, 05:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HappySalesman
Hmm, looks good. Usually I try to avoid off brand stuff like that at my shop cause a lot of the time it comes back in a month or two not working properly.

How much did you end up paying for the h/u?

And let me know if it continues to work well for you, I've been looking for a ddin that integrates better than the mainstream radios
I typically try to stray away from off brand stuff as well, but I was in the market and just wasn't really happy with the screens out there....well unless it was big $$. I'm curious as well to how good it holds up and will keep this thread updated of the quality.

I love how everything is integrated into one device now. It's honestly overkill on many levels, but never hurts to have too many options. I paid $300 off Amazon Prime.

Originally Posted by EnergyCC
Doesn't XM sound like crap ?

You could, if you really wanted to. If you can listen to XM on your smartphone, you can listen to XM on this headunit.

But there's so many better options out there in the streaming world
Shows how much I listen to the radio, lol. But you're right, if you can listen to it on your phone then definitely can do XM.

So it really sounds better than the Alpine ??

I'm sticking to an old school (top of the line) Premier Pioneer because I hated the sound quality of the newer double din units...
Yep it really does. I'm still on stock Monsoon stuff and could easily tell a different in sound clarity and loudness...and I haven't even tried to mess with the EQ yet. I do plan on swapping some speakers and adding an amp(s) to the car soon.

I did get a chance to play with Torque some while waiting in a long line at CVS. There's so many options for gauges using the Baxf, lots of the stuff I have no clue what it means. It does appear there's an option for miles remaining left on the tank of gas, that's one gauge that will end up on my home screen.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Started doing a little reading on XDA. There's a wealth of information on the head unit here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Hui_Fei_Type

My curiosity was if this thing can be rooted. There are 2 main reasons to root it, install Xposed and use Titanium Backup. Rooting can't get any easier for sure, just punch in a code. There's also 1 developer cooking up a ROM and so far has been keeping it updated. I'm curious to give it a try, can only make this unit better!
Old 02-12-2016, 11:48 AM
Launching!

By the way... Try DashCommand instead of Torque. After years of using Torque, after running DashCommand for a few days, I'm not going back. So much better. Although a bit more expensive...

I don't know if you can do "split screen" on that unit, but on Samsung Tab I can do "multi window" and have DashCommand running on half the screen and waze running on the other. Looks pretty good
Old 02-12-2016, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

By the way... Try DashCommand instead of Torque. After years of using Torque, after running DashCommand for a few days, I'm not going back. So much better. Although a bit more expensive...

I don't know if you can do "split screen" on that unit, but on Samsung Tab I can do "multi window" and have DashCommand running on half the screen and waze running on the other. Looks pretty good
Went ahead and installed it on my phone to try it out. DashCommand looks alot more refined and easier to operate than Torque. Can't wait to install it in the car and try it out. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-02-2016, 06:31 AM
Teching In

That Android unit looks awesome. Were you able to get the steering wheel controls working yet?
Old 03-02-2016, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HighTechUSFBulls
That Android unit looks awesome. Were you able to get the steering wheel controls working yet?
Thanks, I'm loving this thing. It's such a toy, but hands down best headunit I've ever owned. I did just install a sub/amp and sounds good. The only downside I can find is this headunit doesn't have sub controls, but does have EQ controls. I knew this going into it, so it was expected.

Nope, still haven't hooked up the steering wheel controls. I already had wired the HU for it, as well as have the PAC soldered and wired up. Just need to pop the screen out and plug it in. I keep finding other projects to do, but I need to and will this weekend. I really miss having steering wheel controls!
Old 03-02-2016, 09:33 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Thanks for the updated information.

I am really considering getting the same unit for my T/A. I still have the stock Monsoon head unit, and it is getting very long in the tooth.

I upgraded all the speakers with the set sold by Kee Audio, and while it sounds better, the FM radio in the stock head unit still sounds like crap. I also hooked up an iSimple aux adapter, which lets me play music from my android phone. That set up is a real pain to use while driving, so I end up just playing CD's.

Please post more updates on your set up when you get a chance.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The lack of sub control sucks for me, but maybe I can find a workaround for that.

Curious on what's available for it in the play store. Can you add basically any Android app? I'd like to be able to add some streaming apps - Amazon Prime Music, I do subscribe to XM with their streaming service, so I want to be able to stream XM.

Ultimately, just wondering if I can add the apps to it from the play store.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HighTechUSFBulls
Thanks for the updated information.

I am really considering getting the same unit for my T/A. I still have the stock Monsoon head unit, and it is getting very long in the tooth.

I upgraded all the speakers with the set sold by Kee Audio, and while it sounds better, the FM radio in the stock head unit still sounds like crap. I also hooked up an iSimple aux adapter, which lets me play music from my android phone. That set up is a real pain to use while driving, so I end up just playing CD's.

Please post more updates on your set up when you get a chance.

I haven't tested FM reception, but generally I listen to stuff on USB or since this has the option, microSD. I run PowerAmp to listen/control my music, have a widget on the home screen for easy control for now while I don't have my steering wheel controls hooked up.

On my long list is to update the speakers inside the car, possibly a 4ch amp. I'll keep this updated.

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
The lack of sub control sucks for me, but maybe I can find a workaround for that.

Curious on what's available for it in the play store. Can you add basically any Android app? I'd like to be able to add some streaming apps - Amazon Prime Music, I do subscribe to XM with their streaming service, so I want to be able to stream XM.

Ultimately, just wondering if I can add the apps to it from the play store.
Bass **** would be an easy work around for sub control, if you decided you need one. Other than the gain, all the other settings can be set on the amp and left alone. Even the gain, personally, I don't adjust the sub for every song but I know some people that do.

I have yet to find an app that doesn't work. Pretty much any app you can put on your phone or tablet, you can install on this. You can also install apps from the USB or microSD as well if it's an app not offered in the play store. The key for streaming is either a LTE/3G dongle or hotspot your phone. I do the latter with my Nexus.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality

Bass **** would be an easy work around for sub control, if you decided you need one. Other than the gain, all the other settings can be set on the amp and left alone. Even the gain, personally, I don't adjust the sub for every song but I know some people that do.

I have yet to find an app that doesn't work. Pretty much any app you can put on your phone or tablet, you can install on this. You can also install apps from the USB or microSD as well if it's an app not offered in the play store. The key for streaming is either a LTE/3G dongle or hotspot your phone. I do the latter with my Nexus.
Cool, thanks for confirming. I would be using my phone as a hotspot with it. I'd hope to just use Tasker to have it fire up the hotspot when the bluetooth connects to that unit.

I need something to control the sub better - a bass **** like you mentioned - due to me being a vert. With the top down, I have to crank the **** out of the bass. With the top up, I have to dial it back significantly.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Amazon had this on sale ($30 off) so I ordered it. The $30 off went towards the bezel, wiring harness and antenna adapter.

I just completed soldering the Joying harness to the Metra GM harness. Did you have to trim anything in the dash to get it to fit? It looks like there is a section of plastic that sits between the stock Monsoon radio and the A/C controls. There is not enough room to push in the new Joying head unit. I have read that people had to trim parts of the dash to fit double din head units in, but I want to confirm that before cutting anything.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had to trim that piece out to fit my JVC double DIN.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think for any screen you have to cut off the black bottom piece for it to fit due to it being a double DIN and not a 1.5 DIN.

I did have to trim the inside of the bezel on left and right sides. It's a snug fit but it fits.

I'm in the process of trying to hook up the steering wheel controls, it's a little odd. When looking how to hook it up I came across a thread on XDA about it. I got very lucky, the OP of the thread has a Trans Am and figured out how to hook it up. He said he has a 2nd Joying unit and installing it in his 2nd Trans Am this weekend and will make a detailed video of how to hook up the steering wheel controls. I'd link the XDA thread, but not sure if it's allowed.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:33 AM
Teching In

Thanks for that information about trimming that bottom piece of the dash. It was late and I did not want to attempt that when I was tired.

I have trimmed the bezel to fit around the head unit. I ended up fitting the new bezel in without the new head unit installed, and I could see that I would probably have to trim that bottom piece. Thanks for confirming that. Depending on when I get home from work, I will attempt that later this week or I will have to save it for the weekend.

I did have the new head unit hooked up and sitting on the center console to test my wiring work. That unit is very cool. The FM radio is very clean when compared to my original Monsoon head unit.

I have not purchased the steering wheel control adapter yet, but I will look for that XDA thread. I want to know more about the installation before purchasing the steering wheel control unit.

Quick Reply: 7" Android Head Unit Review