LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

started that exhaust today

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default started that exhaust today

Mother of god, how do you guys with straight pipes or lesser systems deal with the noise. I have a ****** headache. lol Dunno if its just because I didnt put ends on the mufflers yet and they exit under the trunk or what but jesus christ something has to change on this system. Im probably gonna put a 300 cell high flow cat on it because I cannot drive it like this every day. The downpipe that meineke did was falling off the car when I got under there, and the oem mufflers had holes in them. So the car def feels ALOT better now.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The tips make the biggest difference believe it or not. Get a 1/2inch past the bumper and the resonance goes away drastically. Mine is not loud in the least bit inside the car
Old 07-04-2016, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeh i gotta pick up some lengths of pipe tomorrow at the parts store, it started pouring soon as we got it back up on there, and everyone closed early with the holiday. Hoping that makes the difference because in all honesty its not that loud going down the street.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:50 PM

I would've painted the exhaust with high temperatures coating first. Mine has 3-4 coats and after some years still looking good and rust free
Old 07-04-2016, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91parkave
I would've painted the exhaust with high temperatures coating first. Mine has 3-4 coats and after some years still looking good and rust free
eh for the amount of money invested here, not worth the time and effort, its all aluminized pipe so it will last a solid 5 years or more. By the time this exhaust needs to be replaced ill be driving a new car.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What mufflers you use?
Old 07-05-2016, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

those are dynomax super turbos, direct fits part numbers 17667 and 17666
Old 07-05-2016, 12:58 PM

Total cost?
Old 07-05-2016, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

$ 241.78 for the mufflers and the Y section, 10 dollars for the zzp piece for the downpipe, 40 for the walker oem resonator from an impala SS (only one that comes in 2.5) and probably 30 bucks in various odds and ends. The intermediate section I got for free because it was damaged, but that was 44 dollars. We wound up cutting that up to attach to the Y. So maybe a little over 300? Tips were probably the most expensive thing, assuming they ever come in, they were 25 bucks a piece.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol whisper quiet in the car now :x just wish i could leave them this long

Old 07-05-2016, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spawne32
lol whisper quiet in the car now :x just wish i could leave them this long

You can. Mount a couple flags to them and use it in a parade
Old 07-05-2016, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Sometimes mine rumbles so much it rumbles the arm rest while driving, it's really annoying but the car isn't even that loud, maybe I just need to upgrade suspension parts ;( but that's cool but bad for the legs lol
Old 07-06-2016, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

First day driving the car for a long period of time, car kept stalling out everytime i let off the gas. Wound up having to go back and readjust the base running airflow and increase it by another 50% again. Don't ask me why the exhaust played this big a factor on it, trying to figure it out.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why would it stall or need to be adjusted at all? Can this computer compensate for nothing? Being able to tune it is one thing, having to for a change like this seems crazy. Makes me want to ditch my car and go old school pre computer when cars were not so ****** fussy.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:55 AM

First day driving the car for a long period of time, car kept stalling out everytime i let off the gas. Wound up having to go back and readjust the base running airflow and increase it by another 50% again. Don't ask me why the exhaust played this big a factor on it, trying to figure it out.
Your Base idle airflow is irrelevant. You need to get your ve tuned and re-enabled to blended operation. Sounds more like your transients are all jacked up and cannot compensate to rapid throttle movements since your on a full maf tune with a decent cam. Ve will help it a lot a lot and give you more of the stability back in the lower rpm range
Old 07-07-2016, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Make a sound clip spawn I wanna hear how she purrs now lol. Oh and did you replace your exhaust rubber absorbers as well?
Old 07-07-2016, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Your Base idle airflow is irrelevant. You need to get your ve tuned and re-enabled to blended operation. Sounds more like your transients are all jacked up and cannot compensate to rapid throttle movements since your on a full maf tune with a decent cam. Ve will help it a lot a lot and give you more of the stability back in the lower rpm range
Fixing the base running airflow fixed the problem just fine (there is a process for that on hpt forums), while tuning the VE is something I want to do, there is nothing inherently problematic with this size cam that would make MAF only difficult to use. My idle is smooth and I pull plenty of vacuum. Transients are something I have been looking into but don't know enough about where to start to actually want to mess with it.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...Transient-Fuel

You are right though VE would help it more in the low RPM range, when I am finished with all the mods I have to start with that. The base running airflow is something I never fully tuned, and I guess that's why it became such an apparent problem, although I didn't think an exhaust would change it that much. However the dynamic airflow data shows the apparent increase in flow to the engine for sure, going fro about 5 g/s stock to a little over 10g/s now at 700rpm.

Last edited by spawne32; 07-07-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rottonj
Why would it stall or need to be adjusted at all? Can this computer compensate for nothing? Being able to tune it is one thing, having to for a change like this seems crazy. Makes me want to ditch my car and go old school pre computer when cars were not so ****** fussy.
The more advanced the computers get, the more complex the calculations get. You get tables in layers upon layers now, where as back in the early OBD2 days, you had a system where it asked what rpm are you at, and how much air do we have? Heres how much fuel you give.

Originally Posted by Koren
Make a sound clip spawn I wanna hear how she purrs now lol. Oh and did you replace your exhaust rubber absorbers as well?
lol I plan to take a new video soon, it is horrifically loud behind the car, not bad at all in the car with the tail pipes extended, but like all the other exhaust systems, it doesnt sound like an LS v8 car anymore. It sounds like a cross between a v6 and a C63 AMG. The rumble is ridiculously deep to the point where it sounds like someone beating a bass drum behind the car. Frankly im surprised because there is nothing all that different about these mufflers compared to the stock ones other then the larger diameters and the baffles to assist with flow through the chambers. I decided the other day to put a cat on it, going to use a higher flow one then the one i had before, nice 300 cell metallic, since my ceramic one started to melt before, because while it might not be loud in the car, the rumble outside the car is enough where everyone of my neighbors can hear my car start. lol
Old 07-07-2016, 10:18 AM
Launching!

The more advanced the computers get, the more complex the calculations get. You get tables in layers upon layers now, where as back in the early OBD2 days, you had a system where it asked what rpm are you at, and how much air do we have? Heres how much fuel you give.

lol I plan to take a new video soon, it is horrifically loud behind the car, not bad at all in the car with the tail pipes extended, but like all the other exhaust systems, it doesnt sound like an LS v8 car anymore. It sounds like a cross between a v6 and a C63 AMG. The rumble is ridiculously deep to the point where it sounds like someone beating a bass drum behind the car. Frankly im surprised because there is nothing all that different about these mufflers compared to the stock ones other then the larger diameters and the baffles to assist with flow through the chambers. I decided the other day to put a cat on it, going to use a higher flow one then the one i had before, nice 300 cell metallic, since my ceramic one started to melt before, because while it might not be loud in the car, the rumble outside the car is enough where everyone of my neighbors can hear my car start. lol

Yeah I want my car like that, I just don't wanna feel a extreme rumble in the car but you def hear it outside.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

So you went small and its loud anyway lol, can't win with this car seems. I'm sure the tips will help some, if not leave the keys in it, after all its Jersey

Quick Reply: started that exhaust today