PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS tuning software! What works best?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS tuning software! What works best?

We're setting up a new class at class with LS style engines and we are ordering a standalone type engine management system but we have yet to decide which system will work best and wont kill our budget... What are you guys suggesting? This will be adapted to our engine dyno and won't be in a vehicle ever. Not interested in plug and play or piggy backs of those sorts. Thanks guys
Old 08-26-2016, 02:25 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

That's a great question for the Tuning section. Let me move it over there for ya
Old 08-26-2016, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not that simple to answer. What ECMs are you wanting to use? What wiring harnesses? Ones that was originally in a GM vehicles or something aftermarket like FAST, Holley, etc. Many vehicle ECMs will only work with certain generations of GM engines. Again what year and type LS engines? Variable cams or not. Once you decide on that then you can decide on the software/editor/scanner. Not sure what you mean by plug and play or piggyback.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Createaaron
We're setting up a new class at class with LS style engines and we are ordering a standalone type engine management system but we have yet to decide which system will work best and wont kill our budget... What are you guys suggesting? This will be adapted to our engine dyno and won't be in a vehicle ever. Not interested in plug and play or piggy backs of those sorts. Thanks guys
Need to answer all the questions in the quote below. We tune on an engine dyno and use a LS1 standalone harness and a 411 pcm, also have a E38 standalone harness and a Holley Dominator setup we use the most now. Its much easier with The Holley Dominator over the factory computers BUT it depends on what your trying to do.

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Not that simple to answer. What ECMs are you wanting to use? What wiring harnesses? Ones that was originally in a GM vehicles or something aftermarket like FAST, Holley, etc. Many vehicle ECMs will only work with certain generations of GM engines. Again what year and type LS engines? Variable cams or not. Once you decide on that then you can decide on the software/editor/scanner. Not sure what you mean by plug and play or piggyback.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at full "kits" basically.. Holley Dominator is one option I think would work well for us. Its everything we need to setup and Ls on our dyno. We would use it for testing various mods (i,h,c) and may also see boosted setups eventually. Will be using junkyard 5.3's. Most likely gen 3 engines with out variable cams.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Well if thats the case, IMO thats pretty easy. Either Holley Dominator or the MS Gold box.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holley for the average consumer.

We've been talking about switching from BS3 to Haltech. Definitely don't go to Big Stuff without an engineering degree and a minor in software programming.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by a05c
Holley for the average consumer.

We've been talking about switching from BS3 to Haltech. Definitely don't go to Big Stuff without an engineering degree and a minor in software programming.
The last time I used Haltech, they still had a few software glitches. This was, however, a few years back.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The new 2500 with torque control, software is supposed to be badass, I've talked with Eric Gash several times about it, along with Barnhill and they love it.

I have the software on my laptop, and poked and prodded it with a little here and there and its pretty decent. Without having a tune to mess with you can't do much with it.

BS3's new software, that's been redone by an outside company, is a lot better than its old stuff. Plus you have the option to link up with your laptop/tablet via Bluetooth now, so that's solving a lot of the connection issues of the USB.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

I have no dog in the fight since I'm rocking the stock 411 pcm with HPT but from everything I've seen and read, Holley seems to be a very nice setup. However the Mega Squirt guys seem die hard loyal and crazy about MS's products. I'd love to checkout a Gold box myself. It seems pretty hard to beat for the price vs features. Maybe some of the users will chime in... Someone page Denmah.

Quick Reply: LS tuning software! What works best?