General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Driving a f body in nj during rain

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 06:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving a f body in nj during rain

Hello,
I tried searching, but my question i guess is more about tires,
I have a 97 TA, with some federal steelcat tires (285's)

It is almost a death box in the rain, as soon as i touch the gas at all the tires brake lose.

Do you guys have good traction in the rain with decent tires?
or in general are these cars very bad in rain?

(would love to make it a DD until the snow flys but i dont know about rain)

Thank you all,
David Oborne
Old 09-28-2016, 06:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Never had a problem driving in rain. The OEM Goodyear Eagles were good. Nitto 555s' were good. My winter tire is BFG G-force Super Sport A/S and they're very good in snow and superb in rain.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

I've only ever used one of my 4th gens for all-weather driving, and it was completely fine in rain with BFG g-Force KDWS all season tires. I drove that one in the snow too, but I had a dedicated set of true snow/ice tires on some skinnier wheels - worked just fine for Chicago winters.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:49 PM
Teching In

wow, thank you all, it seems like a lot of members like the trucontact tires from continental, maybe ill give them a shot,
i have federals right now, and they are junk in the rain,
thank you all
Old 09-28-2016, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My BFG TA's worked OK on my 99 Z-28. The Parellies on my 2011 SS Sucked Had to c change them at 20,000 miles
Old 09-28-2016, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

any type of all season tire should get you by in wet weather. it doesnt rain that hard here lol at least most of the time.

my f1s on my 1le perform flawlessly during rainy conditions.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Nitto 555's april to nov on 2 f bodies , lots of rain driving no issues.

They will spin easy intentionally but if your driving like a normal person in a normal car I have never had them spin or slide out , only an issue if your screwing around or driving too aggressive for conditions
Old 09-30-2016, 03:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Another vote for the BFG G-Force A/S tires. No issues. Less expensive than the outstanding Goodyear GS-D3 with minimal drop-off in rain performance. I have them on two of my cars now. I've driven in horrible rain storms through the mountains here in western NC since 2002 with my F-body. It's NOT the car, it's all about the tires, unless the driver is making judgement errors.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Another vote for the BFG G-Force A/S tires. No issues. Less expensive than the outstanding Goodyear GS-D3 with minimal drop-off in rain performance. I have them on two of my cars now. I've driven in horrible rain storms through the mountains here in western NC since 2002 with my F-body. It's NOT the car, it's all about the tires, unless the driver is making judgement errors.
Agreed. OP, I've never heard of those tires, have you had them on for long time? Are they worn down? I'm not a tire expert, but I'm pretty sure that some tires have different compounds at different tread depths. What that could mean is that if the tires are worn you may be riding on a harder compound that grips less in geenral. I dont want to spread rumors, but I know that my Silverado tires were just fine in the rain until the started getting near the wear bars, now they garbage for forward traction in the rain. I dunno.

My car came with a set of high performance BFG's, don't remember exactly which, and they were just fine in the rain, although I only drove once in the rain - on the way home from picking the car up with sweaty hands. BFG's are probably a decent bet for a driver that sees decent miles and rain.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

I have Riken Raptors on my chevelle. Couple times i got caught in the rain, they held up pretty good considering my wet to dry driving style didn't change.

Quick Reply: Driving a f body in nj during rain