Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCI 6x 6speed Auto in a 4th Gen LS1 F-Body?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default TCI 6x 6speed Auto in a 4th Gen LS1 F-Body?

I know that the TCI 6x 6 Speed auto's use 4l80e body's.
I also know they cost a heck of alot more than a 4l80e aswell, but I'm not really here to debate the best bargain for the buck between the two transmissions. I'm even aware that their first gear and 6th gear ratio isn't terribly different from 1st and 4th of the 4L60e...

I just want to know, since its the same housing as a 4L80E, it should technically fit in a 4th Gen with absolutely no body modification am I wrong? What other adaptations would be necessary to make it work? I was thinking it wouldn't be as indepth as a 4l80e but I could be wrong... Would it need its own TCM or would the PCM handle the shifting? How would it need to be properly interfaced with the car to work? Is it mostly plug and play?
Old 10-24-2016, 02:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
I also know they cost a heck of alot more than a 4l80e aswell, but I'm not really here to debate the best bargain for the buck between the two transmissions. I'm even aware that their first gear and 6th gear ratio isn't terribly different from 1st and 4th of the 4L60e...

I just want to know, since its the same housing as a 4L80E, it should technically fit in a 4th Gen with absolutely no body modification am I wrong? What other adaptations would be necessary to make it work? I was thinking it wouldn't be as indepth as a 4l80e but I could be wrong... Would it need its own TCM or would the PCM handle the shifting? How would it need to be properly interfaced with the car to work? Is it mostly plug and play?
If a 4L80E will fit in 4th Gen with no modification needed to provide clearance for rear cooling line, then a 6X will. Might look into Sweet Performance's Banjo fittings for 4l80E that should solve that problem I had with install into a 64 Vette. Also it might pay you to do a search on 4l80E install in a 4th gen as a thread on installing one should advise you of standard problem with a 4L80 trans install.

Sifter wise, on my cars, I use an aftermarket sifter from Shiftworks, an since "D" is the only forward shift position needed, I block off the ability move the shift rod into 2nd or 1st as either of those positions will not let trans shift 1-6 gear. I also have Paddle shift option. TCI also offers their outlaw shiftier option.

Installation wise it will be no different from installing a 4L80E. It uses TCI's EZ-TCM to control it. It a lot simpler that the orignal RED BOX TCM used.

If you are going to use Paddles or Buttons to manual shift trans, you need to understand converter stall requirement for fast shift. That trans does not suffer from RPM shift lost incurred that requires high stall flash to get RPMs lost during shifts like standard Auto Trans do.

There is a video of a Rolling Start as well as one Paddle shifting in below thread. You can hear the 1st to 2nd shift has the most lost. Lost between other shifts I don't feel or hear.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...0-ho-dyno.html

Name:  P1260384_zpsqfkh2zqv.jpg
Views: 2544
Size:  114.7 KB

Name:  P7230127.jpg
Views: 1912
Size:  50.9 KB

Name:  corvettebloger11.jpg
Views: 1986
Size:  42.9 KB
Old 10-24-2016, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Installation would be identical to installing a 4l80e with the only difference being you would need to install TCI's EZ-TCU to control the trans and you would also need a way to allow the engine PCM the speed so that it knows when you come to a stop, and so your speedo works. I installed TCI's EZ TCU for my 4l80e and after I got most issues sorted out it works great... Tap **** is coming soon . If you have any specific questions about installing TCI EZ-TCU checkout some of my threads on getting that setup or feel free to ask me any questions on it.

4l80e does require cutting some of the trans tunnel hump near the rear of the trans to fit the electrical connector of trans, new 4l80e cross member, new driveshaft yoke, and a way to connect the return cooler line (sweet performance fitting worked great BTW)
Old 10-25-2016, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cpt.Derrek
Installation would be identical to installing a 4l80e with the only difference being you would need to install TCI's EZ-TCU to control the trans and you would also need a way to allow the engine PCM the speed so that it knows when you come to a stop, and so your speedo works. I installed TCI's EZ TCU for my 4l80e and after I got most issues sorted out it works great... Tap **** is coming soon . If you have any specific questions about installing TCI EZ-TCU checkout some of my threads on getting that setup or feel free to ask me any questions on it.

4l80e does require cutting some of the trans tunnel hump near the rear of the trans to fit the electrical connector of trans, new 4l80e cross member, new driveshaft yoke, and a way to connect the return cooler line (sweet performance fitting worked great BTW)
Yeah I just found out about the VSS issue. How did you get around that?

Edit: Is there an option for a Auto-Shifter in the console versus tapshift? I am going to be modifying my entire console / dash so maybe I could have a autoshifter fabricated there.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 10-25-2016 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Edit: Is there an option for a Auto-Shifter in the console versus tapshift? I am going to be modifying my entire console / dash so maybe I could have a autoshifter fabricated there.
There is a square wave signal output from the TCI TCU that I used with Dakota Digital SGI-5e which converts one of its features is that it'll convert the square wave 4000 PPM to the sinewave 128000 PPM signal which went directly into the VSS high signal wire. There is a slight lag but other than that it works perfect.

the TCI TCU supports manual shifting with momentary buttons. so you would just need upshift and downshift button's along with a toggle switch to enable the manual shift mode, so you can do whatever you want with that.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:20 AM
11 Second Club

I'm going to take a stab at this. Not really sure I understand you question, Auto-Shifter versus taphift.

Most any automatic shiftier with P/R/N/D pattern positions will work,( 1/2 positions not used so I suggest you block ability to move shift lever to those positions). The Auto console shiftier that was used in car you have will work or can be modded to work for fully automatic mode. See link below.

http://shiftworks.com/index.html

Manual mode shifting is another thing. My problem with 6L80E trans in another car I have with TU/TD shifting as with any multi-gear shifting trans where you are up shifting and down shifting multiple shifts, is keeping up with gear you last shifted into was, so without an Indicator to show you what gear your in becomes a problem, as you have to try and remember what gear your last shifted or down into was.

I probably could cobble together a gear position indicator for it with a little research. In fact I know I can, just not worth the effort with it.

Probably make one that would work with Cpt manual button suggestion, if you knew the wire(s) to signal up or down shift was to an indicator(s) that are available to display it out there.

Last edited by poorhousenext; 10-25-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a square wave signal output from the TCI TCU that I used with Dakota Digital SGI-5e which converts one of its features is that it'll convert the square wave 4000 PPM to the sinewave 128000 PPM signal which went directly into the VSS high signal wire. There is a slight lag but other than that it works perfect.

the TCI TCU supports manual shifting with momentary buttons. so you would just need upshift and downshift button's along with a toggle switch to enable the manual shift mode, so you can do whatever you want with that.
Awsome you just solved my #1 concern with this regarding the speedometer issue. Now another real question is, the PCM technically has provisionings for 5th and 6th gear I have heard. With that said.. can the PCM detect the gearing at all or is that handled only by the TCM? I am going to be getting Fieroluke's OLED's and was wondering if they could be modified in such a way to receive the input for the additional gears.

For the manual shift, since this is controlled by buttons I am assuming then that only thing that is necessary is to complete a circute whenever the button is pressed, or basically if I decided to use an autoshifter (like seen in the G35/G37/350-370Z/6th Gen Camaro's ect) then when I put the shifter into Manual Mode then whenever I shift UP then I need to make it complete the UP shift circuit and like when I shift DOWN then I need to make it complete the DOWN shift circuit ? am I right?

Originally Posted by poorhousenext
I'm going to take a stab at this. Not really sure I understand you question, Auto-Shifter versus taphift.

Most any automatic shiftier with P/R/N/D pattern positions will work,( 1/2 positions not used so I suggest you block ability to move shift lever to those positions). The Auto console shiftier that was used in car you have will work or can be modded to work for fully automatic mode. See link below.

http://shiftworks.com/index.html

Manual mode shifting is another thing. My problem with 6L80E trans in another car I have with TU/TD shifting as with any multi-gear shifting trans where you are up shifting and down shifting multiple shifts, is keeping up with gear you last shifted into was, so without an Indicator to show you what gear your in becomes a problem, as you have to try and remember what gear your last shifted or down into was.

I probably could cobble together a gear position indicator for it with a little research. In fact I know I can, just not worth the effort with it.

Probably make one that would work with Cpt manual button suggestion, if you knew the wire(s) to signal up or down shift was to an indicator(s) that are available to display it out there.
The manual shift mode Im speaking of would be non-standard for an F-Body, I'd need a whole new gear selector. For example some cars have "autoshift" which allows you to move the gear selector to a position usually just below "D" where you can move the stick to a seperate column which allows you to move the stick up or down for + or - (up or down shift).. Would this be possible?
Old 10-25-2016, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awsome you just solved my #1 concern with this regarding the speedometer issue. Now another real question is, the PCM technically has provisionings for 5th and 6th gear I have heard. With that said.. can the PCM detect the gearing at all or is that handled only by the TCM? I am going to be getting Fieroluke's OLED's and was wondering if they could be modified in such a way to receive the input for the additional gears.

For the manual shift, since this is controlled by buttons I am assuming then that only thing that is necessary is to complete a circute whenever the button is pressed, or basically if I decided to use an autoshifter (like seen in the G35/G37/350-370Z/6th Gen Camaro's ect) then when I put the shifter into Manual Mode then whenever I shift UP then I need to make it complete the UP shift circuit and like when I shift DOWN then I need to make it complete the DOWN shift circuit ? am I right?

The manual shift mode Im speaking of would be non-standard for an F-Body, I'd need a whole new gear selector. For example some cars have "autoshift" which allows you to move the gear selector to a position usually just below "D" where you can move the stick to a seperate column which allows you to move the stick up or down for + or - (up or down shift).. Would this be possible?
the wiring harness with the TCI EZ-TCU includes wiring for manual buttons, you will just need to have a momentary switch ground the upshift wire for upshift and downshift wire for downshift. super easy.

Fieroluke's dash computer does not have any transmission gears to read as there is no output from the stock PCM to be able to know what gear its in. But if you're using the TCI's TCU you would be bypassing that anyways. The dash computer will still operate normal so long as the speedo input is correct.

As for the stock PCM supporting a 5 or 6 speed auto, that's a no. You would need a gen 4 PCM to support those transmissions and you would not be able to control the TCI 6 speed with a stock PCM as that transmission can only be controlled by TCI's TCU.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

I did that with 6L80E install in 66 Vette. Used shiftier from a 2008 Pontiac GTO. Modified the TU/TD position was modified to using momentary contact switches to power. Problem for you might be shiftier sitting too high with any of the late model GM shifters. In case of these, the TU/TD position is just to right of "D" position, making it an easy Left to Right/ Right to Left bumps to go between modes. Probably more manufactures have ones that might sit lower.

Nice looking Caddy shifter.
[IMG][/IMG]

Cheaper in looks and price, Pontiac G8 shifter.
[IMG][/IMG]

Side view of shifter
Name:  P4190117Small.jpg
Views: 2649
Size:  48.5 KB

Start of trying to make a console pattern to lay up from.
[IMG][/IMG]

Name:  P8310258.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  62.7 KB

If you have a CarMax used car dealer near you, or another big dealer like it, go take a look at different mfg cars on their lot to see if you can find one that might work best for you, then check with Pick a Part Yard to see if they have one you can pick up on the cheap.

Last edited by poorhousenext; 10-25-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

the wiring harness with the TCI EZ-TCU includes wiring for manual buttons, you will just need to have a momentary switch ground the upshift wire for upshift and downshift wire for downshift. super easy.

Fieroluke's dash computer does not have any transmission gears to read as there is no output from the stock PCM to be able to know what gear its in. But if you're using the TCI's TCU you would be bypassing that anyways. The dash computer will still operate normal so long as the speedo input is correct.

As for the stock PCM supporting a 5 or 6 speed auto, that's a no. You would need a gen 4 PCM to support those transmissions and you would not be able to control the TCI 6 speed with a stock PCM as that transmission can only be controlled by TCI's TCU.
Ah okay. I must have mis-understood. Either way no big deal. Manual Autoshift would be awsome in a F-Body. Just wondering is yours up and running right now? How much overall did you spend completing this? I know it wont be cheap. Did you run into any issues or was it straight forward? Is this something I could trust a performance shop to complete or will I need to be prepared to drop and reinstall the trans myself? I will be willing to learn to do it if I must to complete this. OH another big question.. Will the transmission lock out gears if the RPM's are not right to shift to them or do you risk overrevving or stalling like you would a Manual? I'm also assuming stall converter selection would need to be taken into account somewhere in this aswell right?

Originally Posted by poorhousenext
I did that with 6L80E install in 66 Vette. Used shiftier from a 2008 Pontiac GTO. Modified the TU/TD position was modified to using momentary contact switches to power. Problem for you might be shiftier sitting too high with any of the late model GM shifters. In case of these, the TU/TD position is just to right of "D" position, making it an easy Left to Right/ Right to Left bumps to go between modes. Probably more manufactures have ones that might sit lower.

If you have a CarMax used car dealer near you, or another big dealer like it, go take a look at different mfg cars on their lot to see if you can find one that might work best for you, then check with Pick a Part Yard to see if they have one you can pick up on the cheap.
I think the G8 shifter would look best in an F-Body as the Caddy shifter would probably be a bit too much for it. Maybe a small chrome trim around the shifter would help it out. I intend of slightly reworking my center console a bit anyway. If there any way you can compare the heights between a F-Body shifter and a G8 shifter so I can see just how tall of a difference we're talking and maybe the dash could be modified to account for it?
Old 10-26-2016, 08:33 AM
11 Second Club

I think the G8 shifter would look best in an F-Body as the Caddy shifter would probably be a bit too much for it. Maybe a small chrome trim around the shifter would help it out. I intend of slightly reworking my center console a bit anyway. If there any way you can compare the heights between a F-Body shifter and a G8 shifter so I can see just how tall of a difference we're talking and maybe the dash could be modified to account for it?
I'm 73 years old. I know/can tell there is a huge generation gap here between us. I grew up no computers, no internet, having to do my on research, get my hands dirty, etc. Fast forward to 2007 an I got into Resto-modding.

I had to learn what it took to integrate late model engines, transmissions, chassis/suspension, brakes, cooling requirements, etc into an old car.

You just asked me to do what you need to be doing so you understand what will work an what want for what your trying to build.

Anyway, I don't have the time to do that. I've got my on problems, trying to research how to pull off my current build project.

I'm trying to get a Midyear Corvette (that's a 1963-67 Body style Vette) in 10s in 1/4 mile with 400 or Less HP on 200 Treadwear street tires (no Dr's or Slicks). So there is a lot of research to make sure car is NHRA Legal, Street and Strip Safe, Chassis setup, etc.

On top of the mechanical requirements, I also have to make sure bodywork, etc is done to my liking. There are no bolt on panels, all hand done an I control the Bodyline changes to fit wide tires and wheel inside body, so that means car has to be body flared vs fender flare to do that, so I spend a lot of time at shop making sure the cars body lines are to my liking to try an give the allusion the body is stock not flared.

You need to put together a cohesive plan of what you want to build, and what you expect out of build. If you are going to track car, you'd better understand what it will take to keep that trans cool in order for it to live any length of time, understand converter requirements, ect. Also don't forget safety requirements so you have a chance.

This is Male Version of Mid year I'm trying to build.

Name:  IMG_0464jjexpo16_zpswukzhwhh.jpg
Views: 1862
Size:  99.4 KB

This is the Trans-gendered Female Body Flared version of car.

Name:  The-BLOCK-LSX_ATL-2015-Feature-01_zps2sxi3job.jpg
Views: 1854
Size:  229.1 KB

So maybe You can understand I'm time limited, as well as past my expiration date on trying to get my own car(s) built.

The fun of building a car are the challenges in doing it. Have some fun, challenge yourself by figuring out what works and what doesn't for your build.

Last edited by poorhousenext; 10-26-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah okay. I must have mis-understood. Either way no big deal. Manual Autoshift would be awsome in a F-Body. Just wondering is yours up and running right now? How much overall did you spend completing this? I know it wont be cheap. Did you run into any issues or was it straight forward? Is this something I could trust a performance shop to complete or will I need to be prepared to drop and reinstall the trans myself? I will be willing to learn to do it if I must to complete this. OH another big question.. Will the transmission lock out gears if the RPM's are not right to shift to them or do you risk overrevving or stalling like you would a Manual? I'm also assuming stall converter selection would need to be taken into account somewhere in this aswell right?
My car is running but I don't have the tapshift/paddle shift installed yet. I plan to install this over the 3 day weekend of veterans day.

It all depends on how you define overall haha I spend about 2k on the rebuilt 4l80e, 1300 on the converter, 600 on the controller, 700 on the tapshift, another 600-800 on trans swap parts and paying a buddy to help me install it. If your going to just do the console shifter you don't need the paddle shifter assembly.

The controller I believe is supposed to keep you from shifting into 1st at 80mph or something like that, it'll also shift you back into 1st if you come to a stop. Converter should keep you from stalling unless you have the TCC locked.

Quick Reply: TCI 6x 6speed Auto in a 4th Gen LS1 F-Body?