Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

408 into 2013 SS help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 408 into 2013 SS help please

So I will probably catch crap about this swap and sorry about the long winded post, I got a lq4 at the machine shop becoming a fully forged 408 "Callie's bottom end" set up for a blower and already have everything to make it a complete long block. It was going in my 2000 z28 but it just recently was in a wreck "truck hit me in the rear" so me and my wife picked up a 13 SS 6speed and I was wondering what all I need to make it work in the SS i can change the reluctor wheel before it's assembled and I know the timing cover, cam plate/sensor, tb, valley cover, and knock sensors. Am I missing anything else? The valley cover and relocation of knock sensors and I believe I would need to change cams as it was for the gen 3 set up it has me a little confused, as I'm new to gen4 stuff I would love to set this up for possibly a cathedral whipple 2.9 set up, and I would really hate to sell and loose on a new build I put so much time in and I could keep my ls3 for a project later on. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by King23; 12-04-2016 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-04-2016, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I couldnt bring myself to do it, imo it would set up too many headaches for not alot of gain.

Keep the SS like it is and mod it. Gen4s have good internals already so i dont see the advantage to swapping.

I would find another car to stick the lq4 in, rollers are cheap and easy to find. Find a v6 camaro or a mustang and build a sure enough play toy.

At the end of the day its your car, engine and money. Can it be done? Ofcourse it can. Is it worth the trouble? Not to me. Seems like it would be a lateral move at best, just my .02 cents
Old 12-04-2016, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

See I have a stripped v6 firebird roller sitting around i was going to start but my budget is a little tight right now with new house and baby so I didn't want to go threw changing everything v6-v8 suspension, pcm, Ecu, trans, rearend ect at the moment the 408 was built for a f1 procharger, mms 235 NFI heads,Johnson short travel lifters,yells terra rockers, mamofied fast 102 ect. And I don't really want to push the stock internals of the ls3 I guess I'm just tossing up the ideas of having a really nice reliable street car I could turn the boost up on add e85 "after proper fuel and suspension upgrades till I could get the other car done in a few years.

Last edited by King23; 12-04-2016 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 12-05-2016, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

Anyone?
Old 12-05-2016, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lsxford
I couldnt bring myself to do it, imo it would set up too many headaches for not alot of gain.

Keep the SS like it is and mod it. Gen4s have good internals already so i dont see the advantage to swapping.

I would find another car to stick the lq4 in, rollers are cheap and easy to find. Find a v6 camaro or a mustang and build a sure enough play toy.

At the end of the day its your car, engine and money. Can it be done? Ofcourse it can. Is it worth the trouble? Not to me. Seems like it would be a lateral move at best, just my .02 cents
Yep,just leave that SS alone.It's a limited production piece(only 418 imported in 2013,only about 11,000 imported in total)that Holden doesn't build anymore,will be worth more as a nice clean daily driver.Put the 408 into the Firebird,that way the bird will be worth more than the scrap value it has now.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If money is tight you probably shouldn't be doing any of that. Not sure it would be worth doing anyway, sounds like you're doing it just to be doing it (which is fine of course) but in this case largely pointless and a waste of effort and money that could be spent elsewhere and ultimately changes very little about the car or how it's used. Should you do it I suspect the most common response you'll get when telling people about it is "why"?

Quick Reply: 408 into 2013 SS help please