Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HCI car with LTs review of exhaust mild to wild

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HCI car with LTs review of exhaust mild to wild

I have a 2002 firebird WS6. I just wanted to share this for those looking for a stealthy exhaust that can readily be turned into a wild, loud, who cares about neighbors sound.

First if you like being loud, like to wake up your neighbors at 5 am when you turn on your car then this is not for you. Where I live we get tickets for having a loud exhaust. Therefore, to get the best of both worlds I did this. (Look at picture attached). It's a Borla catback with a QTP 3" electric cutout in place of where the plates go. It was direct bolt on no welding. So with the flip of a switch I can go stealthy/wild. Mind you my car has long tubes/ heads/cam and when I close the cutout and it reroutes fumes to muffler it's very quite. I will come back and add videos of the difference.

1/6/2017 Update** Ok I'm back with videos and yes as Cody pointed out, the first picture is an old set up mine is the updated one specific for the 02 model.

First Video cutout open full

second one cutout is closed completely therefore routing all exhaust to one side and decreasing the sound substantially.

Although I like it so far I do want to try Texas Speed's new catback that has the 4" cutout towards the middle of the car.

Last edited by BBWS6; 01-07-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to rain on your parade but Im pretty sure it has been done before. Still a good setup for someone wanting the best of both worlds. I liked the way my old borla catback sounded.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Oh no! I didn't mean it as a discovery. I actually got the idea from our wonderful forum site. I just never found audio clips and that's what I was going to do. Just need a couple days to upload videos
Old 12-08-2016, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh okay. Should be pretty nice. If you stumble across one, pick up the DMH cutout that they made a few years back for this setup. Some people have had mixed results with the QTP cutouts but DMH has seemed to be pretty solid.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmm that'd be pretty cool if it wasn't for the high buy-in cost of the Borla. I like the idea of just having two tailpipes on the left as a pseudo 2OTL.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL! That's an old *** Borla picture for an LT1 car. The Borla specific electric cutout works great. I have done such on several cars but I actually prefer to add a 3" nonspecific cutout in the rear floorboard void and run a stock muffler with full headers, and cam.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by codyvette
LOL! That's an old *** Borla picture for an LT1 car. The Borla specific electric cutout works great. I have done such on several cars but I actually prefer to add a 3" nonspecific cutout in the rear floorboard void and run a stock muffler with full headers, and cam.
That doesn't sound like a bad idea at all! That would probably be super stealthy. When I purchased the car it already had the Borla catback if not I would have probably gone that route. Would you happen to have any audio clips?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2017, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BBWS6
That doesn't sound like a bad idea at all! That would probably be super stealthy. When I purchased the car it already had the Borla catback if not I would have probably gone that route. Would you happen to have any audio clips?

Thanks
Thats what vast majority of guys do for cutouts, youtube "LS1 cutout" and you will see a ton of vids.

Quick Reply: HCI car with LTs review of exhaust mild to wild