Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Best stereo update for bluetooth/phone/etc

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 09:15 AM
tnw
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best stereo update for bluetooth/phone/etc

I've been looking into some solutions to upgrade the stock head unit/stereo. While the speaker system is pretty good, the features for the head unit are pretty firmly stuck in 2006. I don't even have CDs. With other cars, I'd just rip out the head unit and smash in a new one with all the audio goodies. However, the head unit in our cars has a lot of stuff beyond just nav/audio. The car/driver information stuff is fairly handy to me so I'd obviously like to keep that intact.

What are some solutions out there? I've found bluestar which seems like a pretty good solution, however, it would be really nice to have a touchscreen unit which I can dial up navigation on for example.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got an older kenwood touch screen with Garmin nav, Bluetooth, usb and so much more that I don't appreciate and it has honestly been the best mod I've done. It works well and the sound quality is much better than the factory HU working through an otherwise stock system.

But what you lose is the DIC bullshit which means you might not be able to turn the traction control off. I say might because my car wheel hops so bad there's no point in trying to turn it off but hopefully I've got a fix for the wheel hop and I'm sure if I unplug enough stuff, the traction control will be neutered.

I grew up with bias plys and drum brakes so I have little need or appreciation for the electronic nannies...I don't drive mega fast, I just want to do burnouts. But I haven't gotten a firm grip on how eliminating the DIC has affected my ability to do that and I won't until I get around to managing the wheelhop.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:10 AM
tnw
Staging Lane

Can't you turn off traction control through the steering wheel? Or does that only route to the stock head unit which is responsible for turning off traction control?

I like turning it off for some good acceleration runs. I find TC cuts power a bit when I'm doing a pull in 1st/2nd. Pulls much harder without any drama when it's off. Never tried a launch yet honestly.

I see some cars with both the factory screen and a touchscreen unit below but the install process seems a little hacky.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The traction control in the glove box doesn't work with the head unit gone?

As much as I would like something a least from this decade there is too much wrapped up in it. It would have to die for me to go aftermarket at this point.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:15 AM
tnw
Staging Lane

Not to mention all the other info like oil life and various mechanical warnings which can be handy.

What about solutions which leave things generally in place but allow me to use the steering wheel controls?
Old 01-11-2017, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

I am in a similar spot. I have chosen to go with the Tranzit Blue HF bluetooth adapter through the factory head unit. I am going to be using an audio control LCQ1 between the factory amp and a 5 channel PPI amp. Currently, I am running the factory amp outputs directly to the hi level inputs on the PPI. I have upgraded each driver (except the tweeter) with CDT, DLS, and Image Dynamics drivers. I will soon be changing the front stage to all Dayton drivers, great bang:buck. All this runs across OEM speaker wires, including the front crossover. It's not ideal but I found it to be my best balance. If I want a screen for Nav or Video, I just strap my phone or small tablet into the CD slot. I didn't want to lose all the same functionality you mention but really wanted the upgrade in sound. I don't need the volume I used to but still want to hear all the frequency spectrum while maintaining a stock appearance. I use my phone for nav anyway so that's no biggie to me. There are several threads you can find here and on CF that outline installing an aftermarket double DIN HU. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tnw
Not to mention all the other info like oil life and various mechanical warnings which can be handy.

What about solutions which leave things generally in place but allow me to use the steering wheel controls?
i don't know about the traction control but I own an air gauge and the car has an odometer so I know when to change my oil. But I did miss the voltmeter so I put an auxiliary gauge in it.

if you heard the difference in sound quality, you'd rip the factory HU out with a crow bar.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The best solution I've seen is to buy a base model's upper radio portion with the in-dash disc changer below, remove the disc changer, and fab a new double-din slot in its place. Retained all the TC/Oil life functions on a small orange LED screen, and the radio and nav were separate pieces (as they should have been). I don't remember which member had this, and I think he may have sold his car recently. Anyone else recall? I think he was in PA?
Old 01-11-2017, 10:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ls1247
if you heard the difference in sound quality, you'd rip the factory HU out with a crow bar.
It's pretty abysmal. There's also an odd difference between when the car is on vs off while the audio is playing. I'm not totally convinced it's the engine noise dulling the sound either. I upgraded the sub and have chosen to live with the rest. This is literally the worst Bose system I've heard. The flaking buttons are just insult to injury.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BudRacing
It's pretty abysmal. There's also an odd difference between when the car is on vs off while the audio is playing. I'm not totally convinced it's the engine noise dulling the sound either. I upgraded the sub and have chosen to live with the rest. This is literally the worst Bose system I've heard. The flaking buttons are just insult to injury.
i was lucky...my buttons were in good shape. I ebayed the factory unit for 600 and bought the kenwood used for 700
Old 01-11-2017, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of guys have swapped the factory nav for the factory base stereo and put an aftermarket in the space underneath.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...e-din-nav.html
Old 01-11-2017, 11:00 AM
tnw
Staging Lane

That's pretty slick... a lot of dough to shell out. It's a tough call. A basic bluetooth streaming kit is $100 tops. I can just mount my phone and have nav. Added benefits of the more expensive solutions are improved sound quality, better look, and steering wheel controls.

Last edited by tnw; 01-11-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
The best solution I've seen is to buy a base model's upper radio portion with the in-dash disc changer below, remove the disc changer, and fab a new double-din slot in its place. Retained all the TC/Oil life functions on a small orange LED screen, and the radio and nav were separate pieces (as they should have been). I don't remember which member had this, and I think he may have sold his car recently. Anyone else recall? I think he was in PA?
Pretty sure this was heavymetals.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tnw
That's pretty slick... a lot of dough to shell out. It's a tough call. A basic bluetooth streaming kit is $100 tops. I can just mount my phone and have nav. Added benefits of the more expensive solutions are improved sound quality, better look, and steering wheel controls.
You can sell your nav on eBay to fund the project. Lol
Old 01-11-2017, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Heavy's stereo mod is way more in depth. He hacked the signals from the stock unit. It's way over the top. Lol
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ification.html
Old 01-11-2017, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Parrot Asteroid Smart with a bluetooth OBD dongle and the torque app. The only thing you dont get really is the outside temp reading. though with google play apps, that can be easily remedied. I have been looking to do the base DIC, I just dont like having unused buttons.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jmilz28
I thought so too and found his thread and as noted, it was way more advanced. The thread Mark linked was more of what I was looking for.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the comps!

The addition of front and rear cameras comes in handy.

http://www.mp3car.com/forum/general/...6630-a-mac-d-v
Old 01-11-2017, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Need an unlocked cts radio stack, something to cut thin metal with, and some time

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...arketradiodic/

Last edited by BaMaDuDe87; 01-11-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by heavymetals
Thanks for the comps!

The addition of front and rear cameras comes in handy.

http://www.mp3car.com/forum/general/...6630-a-mac-d-v
Did you ever have much luck deciphering the CANBUS messages for the DIC? I'd be willing to replace the whole setup (navi/head unit, amplifier, etc) if I could have a display and possibly control by injecting onto the bus. I'm no electronics engineer, but can tinker. I wouldn't mind replacing the whole thing with a Pi or carputer.

BTW, I've been reading about your work for a year and stand in awe.

Quick Reply: Best stereo update for bluetooth/phone/etc