Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boosted Dorman truck intake?

Old 01-11-2017, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Boosted Dorman truck intake?

I'm yanking my 5.3 with a centri supercharger that made 12psi on a bone stock 99 5.3. Datalogs suggest 525-550hp based off injector duty Cycle.

I picked up a new stock replacement for cheap but I always hated how it looked and not going to shave it etc. Im making changes to the motor to increase power, ported stock heads, custom cam, ported stock TB, oil pump, straub rockers etc. Im also making the motor look good since I'm pulling it which includes painting and cleaning up alot as I kinda just threw it in the first time. I expect 80-120hp with the cam and head swap and boost will drop accordingly prob around 10-11psi.

Ive read the dorman LS6 version blew up around 14psi, but nothing on the truck version? I just picked up a dorman truck intake for like $129.00 and it should be here in a few days. I think it looks much cleaner and I plan to port the intake ports where it has ridges etc to smooth out the flow.

Does or has anyone heard of any issues with the dorman truck intakes and low boost?
Old 01-11-2017, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

curious as well. is the upper ultrasonically welded to the lower like the dorman lsx intake? I read somewhere it was screwed together like the fast intakes.

sub'd 4 results
Old 01-11-2017, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it is bolted. Then the bolts have melted plastic to secure the bolt. My guess is it wouldnt be hard to remove the melted plastic to gain access and open the intake up and then bolt together. Supposedly the design copies alot from the fast truck intake. and its made up of 3 pieces. Pics show alot of similarities to the fast verison, except the small TB opening which is fine for me as I'm rocking the stock 78mm TB ported. As on as it doesnt blow up and doesnt loose power over the stocker im good with the looks.

From what Ive read the Dorman intake has a much larger plenum opening and it allows the truck motors to spin to 6500-7k and still make power.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

word if you open it up be sure and post lotsa pics.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh I wont be opening it up lol. Im just going to cut all the **** off the outside and then clean up the area right before entering the head to smooth it out. Going to smack an IAT sensor in the Purge port and call it a day.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

here are some pics of it dissasembled.

Name:  DormanIntake-07.jpg
Views: 2280
Size:  173.0 KB

Name:  DormanIntake-08.jpg
Views: 2038
Size:  141.8 KB

Name:  DormanIntake-09.jpg
Views: 2037
Size:  169.4 KB

Name:  DormanIntake-10.jpg
Views: 1706
Size:  155.7 KB

Name:  DormanIntake-11.jpg
Views: 2522
Size:  141.7 KB
Old 01-11-2017, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

i remember those pics, IIRC that was a prototype the guy got off ebay and eventually threw away because it leaked so bad.

the runners look pretty interesting though. much longer than the stock NBS truck intake
Old 01-11-2017, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That thing is ugly though. I'd prefer to find a used LS6 intake over that thing. With a factory LS6 we know it has a history of success with 20+psi of boost, and a lower profile. Any difference in HP could be made up with a little more boost, an extra lb or 2 is usually free if your system isn't maxed out. Oh and it looks better.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

i dont mind the looks really and used ls6 intakes are still almost $400

if this thing can hold boost and is <200 dollarydoos and take all the stock gen 3 truck stuff like rails, throttle cable bracket, etc.. then I'm interested.

but yeah it's not gonna fit in an F-car, thats for damn sure
Old 01-12-2017, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ScottyBG
That thing is ugly though. I'd prefer to find a used LS6 intake over that thing. With a factory LS6 we know it has a history of success with 20+psi of boost, and a lower profile. Any difference in HP could be made up with a little more boost, an extra lb or 2 is usually free if your system isn't maxed out. Oh and it looks better.

to each there own. Ugly is a relative term... I think it looks better than the fast truck intake as well as all of the OE truck versions. ITs not as smooth and low as the OE car intakes but truck intakes are superior to all the LS car intakes up to about 4500rpms. Even the ugliest truck intake out performed the LS6 and FAST etc up to 4500 and its all due to plenum size and runner length. IDK about you but I drive my car only the street and spend 90% of my time below 4000rpms so the power down there is much more important.

I personally believe the car LS intakes don't offer enough height and the make the LS motor look low and fat, the truck might be a smidge too high but If the car intakes were a few inches taller it would look much better.

also in a turbo app increasing boost isn't hard but in a supercharger app you can be maxed out. I personally can't pulley down anymore and I'm MAXED out at 12psi... so that extra 1-2psi isn't going to happen.

Not going to argue about the strength as I have no data with the dormans and I know the OE intakes are strong as hell. BUt like I said I have a new stock truck intake to replace if something doesnt work out and I know it will perform.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by truckdoug
i dont mind the looks really and used ls6 intakes are still almost $400

if this thing can hold boost and is <200 dollarydoos and take all the stock gen 3 truck stuff like rails, throttle cable bracket, etc.. then I'm interested.

but yeah it's not gonna fit in an F-car, thats for damn sure

LS6 intakes are crazy priced now. I also dont like the low-ness that you get with the LS car intakes... I like alittle height on the intake and I feel it makes it look more aggressive. I like the look of the holley mid/high rise alot but I would never go for that when the stock style do so well and the plastic is great for heat transfer.

Well the LS6 version popped at 14-15psi, but I dont think its bolted together and just sonic welded. I'm going to take a good look at the dorman and see if I feel comfortable running it. BUt again I'm running low boost 10-12psi so I'm sure its going to be fine.

I will let you know about the throttle bracket as soon as I get it (tmrw prob) but its literally a stock replacement intake... you yank the stocker and swap and bolt back on. Thats what its designed for, even the engine cover bolts down.

Just about everyone says you can't run a truck LS intake on the 82-92 firebird/camaros without a cowl hood. Well thats bullshit as I currently run stock hood and have the truck intake on (no engine cover) and I run stock style truck accessories (alt sits up high) but I did have to swap from a large case alternator to a small case to clear the underhood bracing. My only concern with this dorman intake is the height of the first runner and my underhood bracing... its going to be close but it should clear and if I need to cut a smidge of the bracing for a better looking motor so be it.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's my setup with stock intake and accessories in my 87 transam. The intake is killing the vibe! I'm going to also have to check clearance to the STB but if not I won't run it.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got the intake and gave it a Thero look over and took some measurements. This thing is built very well and very nice. Small changes are all that's required like the porting at the intake gaskets.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Got the intake and gave it a thero look over and took measurements. My consensus is that it's a great looking intake and built as well if not better than the stocker.

Heres what I found:

1.) the Dorman intake weighs a solid 2 lbs more than the stocker.

2.) the dormans base is Extra reinforced and they state it's to help prevent warpage compared to stock.

3.) dormans and stock both have a 75mm TB opening. Perfect fit for the stock TB and a smooth transition and it's finish is better than the stocker on the inside.

4.) the dorman intake uses a different map sensor than in the pics. The stock truck map has 2 clips on the sides and it locks the map down. Dormans pics show the same thing but this one looks more like the stock LS1 car which has the one mounting bolt of the side to hold it in. This is a good thing bc it's easier to get the car style map sensors. But I have seen that the truck map will still work and the bolt still holds it down. I tested mine and it fit like a charm... happy too bc my GM 3 bar is basically new and not cheap lol.

5.) dorman did away with the bolts through the intake on the underside. Now it looks like it's bolted together at the front and back from the underside and the. They use the intake bolts to the head to keep the rest together. It comes shipped with nuts on the end of the bolts to keep it all together I presume. This is a good thing as it suggests the intake is easily disassembled and can be put back together easily.

6.) a stock style EGR block off plate will work with the dorman. I had a nice one and threw it on for some pics. I had to use the dorman bolt bc it's not a brass insert like stock.

7.) the fuel rail mounts and he injector bungs sit higher than the stocker by alittle bit.

8.) the dorman only uses brass inserts for the TB and one mounting tab at the top for the engine cover.

Heres the only negatives

1.) no brass inserts for the fuel rails and throttle cable bracket.

2.) the reinforcement base is bulky and the hole for the injector is large and looks slightly blocked from the underside so it should be ported a smidge to work better. I wouldn't think this would take more than 15-20min.

3.) the gasket service of the intake in the ports needs to be cleaned up a good bit and that's the most work.

Other than that the intake looks real good. It's heavy and solid and very clean. Looks amazing next to the stocker. Will look better after I remove some of the crap on top. But everything bolts right up.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pics

Old 01-14-2017, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

What is the Dorman part number you have there?
Old 01-14-2017, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

huh its still got that weird squared off thing in the corner of the runner. i figured that was just on the prototype one the guy has on performance trucks.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tblentrprz
What is the Dorman part number you have there?
Dorman 615-183
Old 01-14-2017, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by truckdoug
huh its still got that weird squared off thing in the corner of the runner. i figured that was just on the prototype one the guy has on performance trucks.
Yup! My guess is that dorman is doing it to hinder performance so it doesn't compete with the fast intake which the base is a copy off. I also think it is there to induce swirl and turbulence so the air is tumbling when the fuel gets sprayed right after.

Very annoying tho! I'm hoping my aluminum carbide bits on a grinder will remove it quickly.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

oh yeah they will. be careful, nylon is like butter and they'll wanna dig like crazy. just feather 'em down

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boosted Dorman truck intake?