Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

99 SS Monsoon door speakers replacements

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 99 SS Monsoon door speakers replacements

Bought a new car over the weekend and the door monsoon speakers are starting to crack with volume turned up. What kind of speakers can I replace them with that will not mess up the headunit or cause any issues? Also how much do good used monsoon speakers cost? Thanks for the help!
Old 01-18-2017, 03:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Any 6.5" 4 ohm aftermarket speaker will work. I'd avoid any used monsoon speakers, for how much it'll cost you you might as well go with better sounding aftermarkets. Alpine Type s is probably your best bang for buck, or Focal if you don't mind dropping a little extra coin.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:48 AM
TECH Resident

Send me some links if you don't mind? Thanks!
Old 01-18-2017, 10:54 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Bear in mind that installing coaxial speakers in the doors to replace the factory Monsoon components will cut your power in half there because the factory setup uses two amplifier channels on each side and the coaxial will only use one.

CDT makes component sets that have the tweeter mounted coaxially so that it fits and matches the factory wiring.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Bear in mind that installing coaxial speakers in the doors to replace the factory Monsoon components will cut your power in half there because the factory setup uses two amplifier channels on each side and the coaxial will only use one.

CDT makes component sets that have the tweeter mounted coaxially so that it fits and matches the factory wiring.
Thanks! Will you send me a link to those speakers?
Old 01-18-2017, 04:35 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

A former sponsor sells them on his site (keeaudio dot com) and the same speakers are also available on Amazon.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Years ago I installed a set of Rockford Fosgate p1652-s component speakers from their "Punch" line. I visited 5-10 different speaker places to sample different setups before buying, and these sounded equally as good as setups costing many times the price.

The current version is now called the Rockford Fosgate P165-SI. It includes all 4 front speakers, and can be had for a little over $100 if you shop around. Back then, when you could still get them, just ONE Monsoon front midrange went for over $60--and the RFs sound massively better, so it is a phenomenal deal. You will have to do a small amount of wiring to connect them, and a bit of plastic must be removed from the inner door for clearance, but it is easy enough that you can install everything in one day. I still love these things and when you see/feel the build quality and hear them, you will understand why.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks eb110,

What all is involved on the re wire and what need to be cut?
Old 01-22-2017, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is pretty simple. If you have the component speakers that came with the Trans Am system, then just cut off the tweeter and reconnect (2 wires). Same for the midrange/woofer: 2 wires. I like to cut them off after the connection harness, to make disconnecting easy in the future, just like factory.

If you have the coaxial speakers that came with the Camaro Monsoon (not sure if all are like this) I believe there are only two wires going in. The new midrange/woofer will have a crossover integrated inside its housing, so you run the two wires in, then add two out, which will connect to the tweeter. You will also have to figure out a location to mount the tweeter (not necessary on the Trans Am), but it does come with a little pod to help aiming, such as at the base of the A-pillar.

My Trans Am had a little crossover in the door (elongated rectangle) and I tested with/without, but it seemed to make very little difference. In the end, I kept them inline with the tweeters, just like factory. The integrated RF crossover does not get used in this application.

I don't really remember what exactly has to be trimmed inside the door panel. It was a little bit down by the bottom front corner of each door, and maybe a small tab or something just behind the grille, as the midrange/woofers stick out slightly more. You won't see any of it from the outside when you are done. I kept the plastic GM grilles on the woofers, but for the tweeters, I used the RF supplied ones and trim rings.

Last edited by eb110americana; 01-22-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Unfortunately, those Rockford Fosgate speakers are true components but they will not fit in a Camaro without some fabrication to mount the tweeters. That's because the factory components are designed so the separate tweeter mounts in the middle of the woofer cone so that a separate mounting location isn't needed. This is different from a Firebird system which has the tweeters mounted in a separate pod in the door. The CDT components have the same design as the Camaro with the tweeters mounting in the center of the cone so they fit in the factory location.

Because they are component sets rather than simply coaxial, each door has a four wire connector on a short pigtail (one pair for the woofer, one for the tweeter). You could cut the connector off of the factory harness and wire directly to the speakers but it's cleaner to cut the pigtail off the factory speaker and wire it to the replacements so that you can then plug into the factory harness.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks Whitebird! Could you pm me a direct link to those speakers your talking about?
Old 01-23-2017, 08:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Just go to keeaudio dot com, scroll down and click on the 4th Generation Camaro with Monsoon System link. There are a couple of different price levels and even complete speaker replacement packages on that page.

Quick Reply: 99 SS Monsoon door speakers replacements