Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quest for max 'free' hp question

Old 02-18-2017, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default quest for max 'free' hp question

so Ive been doing a lot of research for my next engine build and really want everything to work together perfectly to get the most out of it without sacrificing longevity. so i.e. lightweight parts, reduced friction, and keeping combustion gases in the combustion chamber and not in the crank case. so in my search I remember some tech info that I watched on an episode of engine power from plowerblock on spike. In this episode (this was a year or two ago) they talked about gas porting pistons, which took me days to figure out how to word that for the internet to understand what I was talking about, and also cutting a light grooved 'x' into the sides of pistons to reduce drag in the cylinders from oil. this 'x' channels the scraped oil from the cylinders down and doesn't allow oil into the combustion process which reduces the octane and hp potential. they used a special jig that can be purchased that allows for a precise groove to be cut without damaging the piston be removing too much material.

does anyone know what I am talking about? this is driving me crazy!!!!!
Old 02-18-2017, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen the concept executed however have no direct experience so I won't debate the actual value of it. What I will say is that typically if something like that improves performance/efficiency by an amount that offsets the cost/potential negatives, it would be present in some way at the OEM level and likely more present in the aftermarket. Feels like we are in the weeds of diminishing returns on this subject but I'd like to hear from those with hands-on experience.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:15 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

If it was worth anything, everyone would be doing it. The X groove in the skirts are only done by DSS to my knowledge, and they don't exactly have the greatest reputation.

Gas porting is a waste for a street car IMO. You see all the carbon that can build up around the pistons. That clogs up the gas ports in a street car engine application that spends time idling at stop lights and in parking lots/drive ways.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is not a matter of debate fellas. I am asking where can this jig I am in search of can be found. it is a proven tactic that has been found to free up power by reducing parasitic drag. it is not commonly found in aftermarket applications during the manufacturing because it adds cost and for most who are just trying to build a street pounder from stop light to stop light is isn't necessary. it is certainly not meant for oem applications because of 90% percent of vehicles driven by everyday drivers don't see many rpms runs above 3 or 4 grand. most daily driving is 1500-2500 rpm range.

as far as efficiency at the oem level, there are several things that can be done to improve that. that's why the oem market is starting to improve on things to catch up with the aftermarket. hell just throwing on a catch can improves efficiency by not allowing oil to recirculated back into the intake system diluting the power potential of gasoline.

depending on how you do the gas ports then yes it can carbon up. from my understanding if you do the horizontal ports it allows high pressure combustion gases to force the piston rings against the cylinder walls reducing blow by. as the combustion gases are expelled then the pressure reduces on the top ring and therefore reduces friction enhancing efficiency.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

The only question you asked is if anyone knew what you were talking about. The short answer was yes and opinion of value in the tech is low. But it sounds like you are an expert on the technology. I hope you find your jig and prove it to us.

If you don't want debate or opinion, the Internet is the wrong place to be posting stuff like this.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:39 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by taman86
This is not a matter of debate fellas. I am asking where can this jig I am in search of can be found. it is a proven tactic that has been found to free up power by reducing parasitic drag. it is not commonly found in aftermarket applications during the manufacturing because it adds cost and for most who are just trying to build a street pounder from stop light to stop light is isn't necessary. it is certainly not meant for oem applications because of 90% percent of vehicles driven by everyday drivers don't see many rpms runs above 3 or 4 grand. most daily driving is 1500-2500 rpm range.
Lol, ok. Proven by whom? Why are some of the cheapest forged pistons using this x-groove then? Why aren't they using it in NHRA Pro Stock or F1? They spend small fortunes testing low friction rear main seals, but apparently they missed out on developing this "proven tactic"...

depending on how you do the gas ports then yes it can carbon up. from my understanding if you do the horizontal ports it allows high pressure combustion gases to force the piston rings against the cylinder walls reducing blow by. as the combustion gases are expelled then the pressure reduces on the top ring and therefore reduces friction enhancing efficiency.
Gas ports in pistons themselves don't make power, it's what you can then use for rings and ring grooves that make power. Taking a shelf piston with rings and rings grooves not meant for gas ports and drilling gas ports probably won't work and may even wear the rings faster since there would now be more pressure forcing them into the bore. The pistons need to be designed with them in mind in order for them to work properly.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

King Talon, is that you?
Old 02-18-2017, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 411 Likes on 298 Posts

Your wasting time with those petty mods thats will probably do more bad than good. (It all depends WHO does it) I recommend building a lighter stronger valvetrain and good springs, your engine will love you. Also, use good oil like maxlife full syntheic and good filters, otherwise you may get annoyances like lifter noise when you put a lot of miles on the car. Get the block cleaned and honed, get heads done, use high quality materials for everything. Its hard to balance reliable and max performance, but if you are willing to conlromise, you could build a car if you do it smart, faster and more reliable than stock.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and again I wasn't asking for opinions. people think that just cuz youre on social media, forums, or what have you that their opinion is king and that the whole world needs to hear what you have to say. I didn't ask for opinions so therefore I don't care what you think will or will not work. what I did ask was if anyone knew what I was asking about, simple yes or no, and what is the tool that was used. the whole point of searching for power is to try out different techniques that can reduce friction and drag. how much it net, or if any at all remains to be seen.
will hurt anything, more then likely not.
could it be beneficial, potentially.

why the **** am I even on here defending myself to you *****? maybe one day after I build my damn engine and if it happens to **** out quick cuz of this then I will look back and say "well they were right". if it lasts a good damn while and with a number of combination of items together put out big numbers and be streetable, then I will find you and say "look at this".

the only way to find out is to do it. plz don't post anymore bashing remarks.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bspeck82- you are correct. petty yes. small and minuscule in the grand scheme of the whole build yes. but again its about trying to get the max. trying to do different things to get the lil extra.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 411 Likes on 298 Posts

bspeck82- you are correct. petty yes. small and minuscule in the grand scheme of the whole build yes. but again its about trying to get the max. trying to do different things to get the lil extra.
Id be careful. Do it wrong and it will have the opposite effects of what you intended.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
King Talon, is that you?
No he's busy buying rusty 5.3s and learning HP Tuners.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
Id be careful. Do it wrong and it will have the opposite effects of what you intended.
agreed. there really is only one way to do it I would think if you follow the instructions if its what I think it is, then its fairly dumby proof
Old 02-18-2017, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Hey man; nobody here cares if you want or respect their opinion. Here's a tip: you don't own the website or the thread, even if you started said thread. You are more than welcome to ignore the parts of the convo you aren't interested in. You'll have a miserable existence here if you let yourself get upset when the conversation doesn't go exactly where you want it to.

Some of these "*****" you refer to are very knowledgeable and talented. Later when you might actually need some legit help you'll be the guy they are joking about a few messages above.

​​​​
Old 02-18-2017, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

^^^^^ x2 ^^^^^
Old 02-19-2017, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Taman86, its always good to research new techniques that can gain hp. Long time ago back in 2000 or so, the X topic came up with some of my NASCAR friends who are engine builders. Most of them have moved on to other motorsports and one works for McLaren doing F1, Indy car & NASCAR support.

The feeling at that time as explained to me was better results for street cars are had with the correct piston being coated with a friction reducing coating and using the right low tension rings.

Now with EDM etching or laser etching & CNC control there might be a change in the technology that makes the old trick worth a second look. I don't know. I do think if th trick works the etch will have to be so perfect you will need CNC or EDM or laser etch to hold tolerances. That's my guess. However, I'm sure Wiseco or one of the other companies could help you with this sort of custom piston technology or explain better alternative approaches to the question.

Have you contacted the piston companies to discuss what your wanting to do?
Old 02-19-2017, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Taman86, its always good to research new techniques that can gain hp. Long time ago back in 2000 or so, the X topic came up with some of my NASCAR friends who are engine builders. Most of them have moved on to other motorsports and one works for McLaren doing F1, Indy car & NASCAR support.

The feeling at that time as explained to me was better results for street cars are had with the correct piston being coated with a friction reducing coating and using the right low tension rings.

Now with EDM etching or laser etching & CNC control there might be a change in the technology that makes the old trick worth a second look. I don't know. I do think if th trick works the etch will have to be so perfect you will need CNC or EDM or laser etch to hold tolerances. That's my guess. However, I'm sure Wiseco or one of the other companies could help you with this sort of custom piston technology or explain better alternative approaches to the question.

Have you contacted the piston companies to discuss what your wanting to do?
that's actually very interesting. kcs mentioned above about dss pistons. I looked on their website and was thinking about asking about their process. also he mentioned something that they have had a bit of a jaded past. I did some digging around on here last night and couldn't really find anything negative. there was some mention that they mainly specialized with the fords but have started working with ls engines. back in the mod 90's or so there was some problems with the pistons but I couldn't find anything from recently saying that there have problems with them going back to '09. I think our community always thinks that the tried and true approach is always best and willing to pay the $$$ for that.

what was the thought about the 'x' in motorsports? I agree though that either cnc or laser etching would be best for QC as to not cause weak points or even burrs causing damage to the cylinders.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
King Talon, is that you?
Lmao!!!! That made my day
Old 02-19-2017, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

what was the thought about the 'x' in motorsports? I agree though that either cnc or laser etching would be best for QC as to not cause weak points or even burrs causing damage to the cylinders.
The discussion was focused on street car stuff and I don't recall anymore details on the x.

One of the 'free hp' tricks used in motorsports and some sports cars is Nikisil to line cylinder bores and maybe lifter bores. It's probably more of a race technology than a street car. I think Jaguar had some issues when they used it on their production cars in the 90's. It is interesting, one of the keys to success for the Porsche 917.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikasil

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 02-19-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Helped a buddy rebuild a Honda 75 or so youth dirt bike last year. It was probably a late 90s or early 2000 model. Nikasil liner factory.

Last edited by Mercier; 02-19-2017 at 10:02 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: quest for max 'free' hp question