Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Speeduino vs microsquirt for e85 build?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeduino vs microsquirt for e85 build?

https://speeduino.com/shop/index.php

$160 bucks assembled and it runs tuner studio. Any thoughts?
Old 02-20-2017, 10:38 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Still very unstable, and doesn't have near the features of micro.

Some say micro is the bare minimum needed to run an LS. This is even less.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

Hadn't heard of the Speeduino before. Looks like a fun project. Owning a MicroSquirt myself, the small and simple stuff kind of appeals to me.

After looking into the Speeduino last night, here are my thoughts:
Seems the $160 Speeduino is just the board with all the conditioning circuits and High/medium load outputs on it. It still needs to be plugged into an Arduino (~$30). I guess, depending on your project, you could go without some sort of enclosure for it. However, it's likely that most installs would require or want some sort of enclosure, not sure what the cost would be.

From a cost/benefit perspective, we're already over $200 for a unit that's pieced together. When comparing that to the $300 MicroSquirt, which appears to be about half the size of a Speeduino and comes in a waterproof(able) enclosure AND an integrated waterproof Ampseal connector (another ~$30 to add to the Speeduino option), it looks to me like the choice is clearly in favor of the MicroSquirt.

The Speeduino seems to have 2 more Injector out's (4 total), so 2 cylinders per channel 180º out from each other would be the preferred wiring, I guess.

It has inputs for all the basic functions, however in my brief scanning of the available info, I didn't see anything about boost control, Fuel composition sensors, knock sensors, and IAC control. However, it did mention that it had 4 spare I/O's... so maybe some of those functions/options exist in reality.

Also, it has an onboard 1 ATM MAP sensor. There wasn't any mention of alternatives... So, obviously you'd need to find a 2 or 3 BAR alternative.

My nutshell impression: Looks like a fun, techie project to tinker with. However, it's not really adding any functionality over that of a MicroSquirt. Nor is it going to cost any considerable amount less in the long run. It's certainly not going to make a project easier or produce a cleaner install. It's not all that small or simple.

My money is still on the MicroSquirt.

ETA: I also didn't see anything about CAN capabilities in what I read.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

You can't beat the Micro for the cost.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For a DD I'd use a MS2.

If you are going to seriously beat on it boost it etc. MS3 with the expansion board.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can we be realistic and stop it with the microquirt/cheap ****.

MS3x is 650$. Thats a tiny fraction of what every car in here has invested, and arguably the most important part.

And to the guys that are going to chime in say "because it works", the same could be said about Apexi AFC's, FMU's, draw through carbs, ect.

Its silly, running a modern engine on batch fire, wasted spark and very limited I/O.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dburt86
Can we be realistic and stop it with the microquirt/cheap ****.

MS3x is 650$. Thats a tiny fraction of what every car in here has invested, and arguably the most important part.

And to the guys that are going to chime in say "because it works", the same could be said about Apexi AFC's, FMU's, draw through carbs, ect.

Its silly, running a modern engine on batch fire, wasted spark and very limited I/O.
That's a pretty good point. I'm using the Micro for my build, and as my project expands it's becoming more and more clear that the MS3 Pro (not the gold box for my install) would have given me a lot more in the long run.

The original thought was to keep things simple, compact, and waterproof. Ordered the Micro and then my mind started exploring all the options to put this little deal to task and get every last dripping bit of capability out of it.

Knock sensors (requires adapter box), Fuel Composition Sensor, Boost control...

The techie side of me wants to log everything... Pre and post turbo pressure and temperatures, intercooler in/out water temperatures, oil temperature and pressure, fuel pressure... possibly even pre and post turbine thermocouples and pressure transducers... And there's only 1 spare ADC left (the knock sensors utilize the other)

The MicroSquirt is capable logging all of these through the CAN Bus and an I/O expansion board. So I bought one of those.

Now, I'm evaluating the possibility of adding the box that allows the Micro to control the Stepper IAC. In stock form the Micro is only capable of controlling a PWM style IAC... Hence the add on converter box. BUT, it looks as though the outputs needed to run the converter box, the way the software and code are written, are used by the Boost Control Solenoid and KnockSense module. Again, it can be made to work. However, as far as I can tell at this point, I'll need to (probably find someone) rewrite the code to use the Tach out instead of FIDLE to run the IAC adapter. But, now there wouldn't be a Tach signal from the Micro.

I'll be Bluetoothing to a Android Tablet and there's no gear changes/shifting in my application, so I wont necessarily need a tach signal. However, some may not want to give that up even though there are other ways to get a signal to a Tachometer.

Anyway, my application is in an open engine boat and I'm mounting everything on an aluminum plate that bolts down to the stock truck intake manifold and hidden by a protective/beauty cover. That's why I need it small and waterproof... pretty sure I could fit the MS3 Pro up there though. Then I wouldn't have had to get so creative and had even more additional functionality.

Still happy with my choice. But...

Last edited by SethU; 02-22-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with the Gold Box just before they added additional hardware features like baro correction...kind of bummed I bought too early. but now that DIY Autotune is really ramping up the features and capabilities of the MS3Pro, not to mention a WAY nicer harness than the EFI Source Gold Box, I wish I went that route. the new MS3Pro supports high AND low impedance injectors now. Their module is sealed, their harness is one of the nicest and most thought out I have ever seen, and their customer support is becoming very large. they are also in the works of a drive by wire addition soon to be released. This is all info I gathered from one of their electrical engineers at their booth setup at PRI in Indianapolis a couple months ago. That being said, it runs about $1600.

Anyone want to buy my EFI Source Gold Box setup? Never used, still sitting in the box.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:39 AM
TECH Regular

i just sold my gold box because i ran out of I/O and will now be getting the ultimate.

The ultimate has additional VR conditioning circuits built right, so i can wire a ABS sensor right to it for traction control.

It also has a ton of I/O, knock sensing, 4 bar map, baro, ect.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

i just sold my gold box because i ran out of I/O and will now be getting the ultimate.

The ultimate has additional VR conditioning circuits built right, so i can wire a ABS sensor right to it for traction control.

It also has a ton of I/O, knock sensing, 4 bar map, baro, ect.
Yeah... if all you want is to run the engine, the Micro isn't too poor of a choice. It will do that just fine and still has the capability of additional functions, ie, boost control, 2/3 step, nitrous/water activation, traction control... It's limitations become apparent when you want to utilize too many of those optional functions and/or want to data log a bunch of stuff... or want to get into individual cylinder tuning.

The Micro does have it's place. It's a great introductory/starter unit and the price point is easy to swallow. It's even a great long term solution for the experienced EFI user, if the projects needs are within it's capabilities. However, the same is true for any ECU... Obviously, since you've outgrown your Gold Box.

Congrats on the new purchase.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

I see your point

but

Micro squirt doesnt have enough I/O to run the engine in full sequential and true Coil on plug (how it left the factory) or enough I/O to have an idle valve.

So yea, it can literally run the engine, but with only some of the functionality of the factory ECU.

I havent purchased it yet, but thank you!! LOL.

Its been in my cart since they released it tho, haha
Old 02-23-2017, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

But but but svslow's car is faster than yours and he only has a Micro...

I see your point

but

Micro squirt doesnt have enough I/O to run the engine in full sequential and true Coil on plug (how it left the factory) or enough I/O to have an idle valve.

So yea, it can literally run the engine, but with only some of the functionality of the factory ECU.

I havent purchased it yet, but thank you!! LOL.

Its been in my cart since they released it tho, haha
Old 02-23-2017, 02:04 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Most people don't know that micro doesn't have sequential until you tell them. Including thise running it. An IAT circuit for it is $80.

MS3x can be had for like $750 with a generic harness.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Most people don't know that micro doesn't have sequential until you tell them. Including thise running it.
Probably true. However, the same people likely have no idea what sequential is in the first place... until you tell them
Old 02-23-2017, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by SethU
sequential

thems the thangs on elton johns jackets
Old 02-23-2017, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by truckdoug
thems the thangs on elton johns jackets
Hahaha. Nice.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

ok I see the point that the micro is bare bones but that is the beauty in it.there are plenty of nicer more able efi systems. but in the cars I have been building and racing the micro still gets it done. I have used it on 6 or 8 builds now with no regrets at all.

we have cars running from very low 9s to 11s on them .using the adaptive idle feature and idle control on e85. don't let the batch fire fool you it still gets the job done. and both my nova and my brothers low 10 second Silverado get about 16 mpg on e85 street driving without overdrive or lockup converters. currently we are maxed out on deka 80s and going 120s and looking for solid 8 seconds with my buddys Camaro.

in the type of cars I build like my nova micro for 4 1/2 years ,72 Camaro,78 Malibu,. I have yet to say I wish I had a better system. hell I haven't even used all it has to offer.

all I'm saying is you guys have valid points to a better system if you need it. and use its extra functions and that's fine. but I started using micro because I can understand it and tune it myself. that is my only requirement is if I build it I tune it. I'm not letting anyone tune my car if I break it that's the price I pay for the education. I am starting to learn more about the ms3 and gold box but as of now if I was building a car tomorrow id buy a micro.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It’s one of those things where the less you know, the happier you are. There are so many features that MS3X/3Pro/Ultimate have over MS2/Micro, but if you’ve never used one, you don’t know what you’re missing.
In regards to tuning, it’s still just a VE and a timing map. The maps are bigger in 3, but that’s not a bad thing.
Also, more data is always good. There’s no IO on a MS2/Micro to add fuel or oil pressure sensors. No options for VSS, so you can’t do boost-by-gear or traction control or VSS launch control. No spare outputs for transbrake bump box. There are a lot of racecar-specific features that MS3 has that WELL worth the couple of hundred dollars extra.

I’ve used both MS2 and MS3 on my personal car and would never suggest someone use MS2/Micro unless they absolutely couldn’t afford anything better. I’ll get off my soapbox now, thanks.

Originally Posted by yenkomike
ok I see the point that the micro is bare bones but that is the beauty in it.there are plenty of nicer more able efi systems. but in the cars I have been building and racing the micro still gets it done. I have used it on 6 or 8 builds now with no regrets at all.

we have cars running from very low 9s to 11s on them .using the adaptive idle feature and idle control on e85. don't let the batch fire fool you it still gets the job done. and both my nova and my brothers low 10 second Silverado get about 16 mpg on e85 street driving without overdrive or lockup converters. currently we are maxed out on deka 80s and going 120s and looking for solid 8 seconds with my buddys Camaro.

in the type of cars I build like my nova micro for 4 1/2 years ,72 Camaro,78 Malibu,. I have yet to say I wish I had a better system. hell I haven't even used all it has to offer.

all I'm saying is you guys have valid points to a better system if you need it. and use its extra functions and that's fine. but I started using micro because I can understand it and tune it myself. that is my only requirement is if I build it I tune it. I'm not letting anyone tune my car if I break it that's the price I pay for the education. I am starting to learn more about the ms3 and gold box but as of now if I was building a car tomorrow id buy a micro.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:04 AM
9 Second Club

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

point taken . there are some features that make sense. all of us run manual reverse 400th or powerglides so we whould have to add an electronic vss to them . all of us run manual boost control , full manual trans with break, so all we need is engine management. again if you are going to use it buy the better system . but the micro has a lot more than most give it credit for with less confusion for some of us that remember when a hei distributer was high tech.LOL.

not disagreeing here at all . for a newby reading here buy what you need they will all make power and drive down the road.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:05 AM
TECH Regular

I agree. Ms3 isnt any harder to tune, it just has more of the good stuff.

Quick Reply: Speeduino vs microsquirt for e85 build?