General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Should I get get rid of my K&N FIPK for the SLP Lid?

Old 02-22-2017, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get get rid of my K&N FIPK for the SLP Lid?

So when I first bought my car many months ago ('01 Z28), it already had a K&N FIPK installed on it. I've read all the threads online stating how the K&N intake hurts performance. As much as I'd like to convert my car to the lid set up, do you guys think it would it be worth the money and hassle? I'm running on a typical college student budget and I just want to hear some opinions
Old 02-22-2017, 12:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,052 Posts

I would much rather have a lid setup. I would change it, if it were mine.

If budget is a concern, perhaps you could find someone who likes the appearance of the K&N kit and would be willing to trade?
Old 02-22-2017, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

I guess it's time to get on Craigslist!
Old 02-24-2017, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lid and SSRA over Volant and FPIK all day. dyno and track proven, its not even a debate(although to some it is)
Old 02-24-2017, 05:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Lid's are cheap enough if you want to do it...Pretty sure there's cheaper out there then SLP too. A lid is a lid.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

The problem is that if I want the SLP lid I'll need the stock radiator support since the FIPK kit replaces it with a steel plate
Old 02-28-2017, 09:04 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 192 Likes on 161 Posts

You should be able to find one at Pic-a-Part no problem and cheap.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

I have the FIPK and this is what I did to mine. I deleted a/c so the condenser is no longer there then I cut a hole in that steel plate the size of the K&N filter. Clear shot of air.
( I did not delete a/c just for this, a/c compressor no longer works so it all went in the garbage )

Old 03-01-2017, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usnfenix
Lid and SSRA over Volant and FPIK all day. dyno and track proven, its not even a debate(although to some it is)
Volant is a sealed unit vs non sealed k&n setup. Dyno wise I've read/talked to a guy at a dyno shop and he said the open filter setups make more hp( ON THE DYNO) I understand you can't see dyno numbers with the lid setup do to lack of airflow. At the same time you can't see full dyno numbers on the SEALED volant. I researched the volant setup before I bought it and 95% people say junk/garbage but have yet to see any back to back track comparisons proving there junk/loose performance . Maybe the k&n due to it not being sealed? Most go by what they read without even having experience with the volant setup. I was running ws6 lower box/slp lid sealed to my debaffled ram air hood prior to volant. All I can say is I'm happy with the performance and my tb/intake noticeably felt a little cooler to the touch after a drive. Again this is sealed to ram air hood so it's a straight shot. Can't hurt hp to much as I run consistent 12.1-12.2 in not the greatest d.a. If someone now has proof that the chris1313 style intake will out perform my current setup plz chime in as I'm looking for every 10th I can get and would consider switching!
Old 03-01-2017, 10:00 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by ironmikektm525
If someone now has proof that the chris1313 style intake will out perform my current setup plz chime in as I'm looking for every 10th I can get and would consider switching!
You can read the Chris1313 threads in the External Engine forum and decide. I don't know that it constitutes "proof," but the claim is certainly made that Chris1313 outperforms the sealed-to-the-RA-scoops setups.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RevGTO
You can read the Chris1313 threads in the External Engine forum and decide. I don't know that it constitutes "proof," but the claim is certainly made that Chris1313 outperforms the sealed-to-the-RA-scoops setups.
Thx Rev! I've already read those posts along with a bunch more.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:39 PM
Pontiacerator

Myself I have a homemade CAI on the base hood by cutting through the hood brace. It gives a straight shot to the intake. Using foam on the backside of the brace, it seals pretty closely similar to the through-the-scoops RA setup.

Works with a lid but I'm not sure it would with a Volant or FIPK.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ironmikektm525
Volant is a sealed unit vs non sealed k&n setup. Dyno wise I've read/talked to a guy at a dyno shop and he said the open filter setups make more hp( ON THE DYNO) I understand you can't see dyno numbers with the lid setup do to lack of airflow. At the same time you can't see full dyno numbers on the SEALED volant. I researched the volant setup before I bought it and 95% people say junk/garbage but have yet to see any back to back track comparisons proving there junk/loose performance . Maybe the k&n due to it not being sealed? Most go by what they read without even having experience with the volant setup. I was running ws6 lower box/slp lid sealed to my debaffled ram air hood prior to volant. All I can say is I'm happy with the performance and my tb/intake noticeably felt a little cooler to the touch after a drive. Again this is sealed to ram air hood so it's a straight shot. Can't hurt hp to much as I run consistent 12.1-12.2 in not the greatest d.a. If someone now has proof that the chris1313 style intake will out perform my current setup plz chime in as I'm looking for every 10th I can get and would consider switching!

not hijacking the thread to argue over the SSRA vs Volant topic as its a pretty overposted topic already not just on this site, but i personally from a guy whos gone with a "sealed" Volant to a sealed slp lid with SSRA in the same day i can tell you the ssra is more responsive. True, it will never show on a dyno, but it can be felt and shown in time slips. Did i do a track run to show it? no, we don't all live near tracks sadly but there are many people who have done the side by side and posted slips on here, i went through all the searching and BS years ago when i had the same question. One person did bring up a very interesting topic that has stuck with me as well, in terms of airflow these cars are bottom feeders, not to say the ram air inlets in the hood don't catch air but the air flowing under to the air dam is at a higher pressure and flow, next time it rains watch the water droplets on your hood and notice how there are quite a few spots on the hood near the entrance of the ram inlet where those droplets don't really move at all or streak. The bottom zone is a more effective method of feeding air. Now in the end people are going to run what they want to and believe what they want to and that's fine. This is just my take on it.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:00 PM
Teching In

I also bought my car with a K&N FIPK cold air kit just installed on it.
It seems to perform fine and I had the car tuned with it.

The thing I don't like is how some water can get on the filter when opening the hood after washing it. I just open it carefully and wipe it off after so not that big of a deal really.

K&N tested it with good results but on a dyno with a large fan blowing directly at it is different then a closed hood racing down the 1/4 mile in heat.

Would I prefer the SLP sealed unit? Yes....but I've also heard they have problems sealing properly. If I stumble across a good deal I might pick one up and test them for myself at the track. I think that's the only way to really know which is better for your application.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

SLP lids have been known to fit like crap, from the 3 ive had only 1 ever fit well. Im swapping to a FTP 98 clear lid this summer when I do my FAST 92 install hoping it fits better
Old 03-07-2017, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

My car probably won't ever see the track since it is my daily so I guess the K&N FIPK will have to do for me. Save some bucks I can put towards something else
Old 03-14-2017, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by usnfenix
not hijacking the thread to argue over the SSRA vs Volant topic as its a pretty overposted topic already not just on this site, but i personally from a guy whos gone with a "sealed" Volant to a sealed slp lid with SSRA in the same day i can tell you the ssra is more responsive. True, it will never show on a dyno, but it can be felt and shown in time slips. Did i do a track run to show it? no, we don't all live near tracks sadly but there are many people who have done the side by side and posted slips on here, i went through all the searching and BS years ago when i had the same question. One person did bring up a very interesting topic that has stuck with me as well, in terms of airflow these cars are bottom feeders, not to say the ram air inlets in the hood don't catch air but the air flowing under to the air dam is at a higher pressure and flow, next time it rains watch the water droplets on your hood and notice how there are quite a few spots on the hood near the entrance of the ram inlet where those droplets don't really move at all or streak. The bottom zone is a more effective method of feeding air. Now in the end people are going to run what they want to and believe what they want to and that's fine. This is just my take on it.
Aprreciate your input! When I searched for back to back 1/4 times " volant vs ssra" or even any other intake setup I couldn't find any info? I always read bottom feed setups were the best but I didn't feel like moving my trans cooler. Like you said everyone has there preference. I personally felt a seat of the pants difference from my previous setup (sealed slp/ws6 lower box). All I know is my filters collect fuzzies and bugs in the summer lol. One thing I did read before I bought it was poor fitment issues which I agree with 100%. I had to Dremel/heat up/ ect to make it fit proper. I have the vfn hood which might differ from an oem ram air hood? My filters litterly line up directly with my hood scoops. Took some grinding/cutting of the hood to achieve that though.

Last edited by ironmikektm525; 03-14-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

yes i would
Old 03-14-2017, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 196 Likes on 153 Posts

If the SSRA wasn't worth it, I wouldn't have it on my car.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a Hawks Motorsports LID. I fit greats, looks clean, and is a little less than most other LID's I've seen on the market. It's made of hard plastic but seems to be nicely made and I don't expect it to have problems crack or splitting, but I haven't had it long enough to know for sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I get get rid of my K&N FIPK for the SLP Lid?