Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 lbs of fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 lbs of fuel pressure

ok fuel pump hat with 8an feed 6 an return brand new for fox mustang tank. corvette filter plumbed properly....pump primes to 85/90..fire up motor it bounces from 80-95 while at 1600rpms occasionally going down to 75..as soon as the pressure goes down the motor clears up and sounds much better!....sooo...i'm guessing that either i have a return restriction or the filter is bad(brand new)...i even thought i had the filter plumbed wrong..so i swapped the lines ..that wasnt it...so i know its plumbed correct..today i will make up a 6an line to run into a gas can and trigger the pump and check the psi....so if its still crazy psi..i assume it would be the filter? thanks for any input.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

yes its the vette filter/regulator. never had any luck with 'em.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It's odd, I've never had problems with them but I only buy the WIX versions. Seems lately people are having trouble with them regulating properly.

Personally I'm switching to another method on my next build and probably going to an external regulator. In my humble opinion it's a bad idea to build your fuel system around a part that was produced for one specialty vehicle (Corvette) and only used for a three model year year span (2000 to 2002) on said specialty vehicle. If that isn't bad enough, the price has doubled since I started using them and each time I want a new one it's not in stock.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah I def bought a cheap *** speedway one at first, but a wix did the same thing. I think a combination of things made it not run at 4 bar. bigger pump, different diameter and length feed and return lines. basically an entirely different system than what it was designed for, lol.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

thanks guys for the input...now i just need to decide if i want to gamble on another filter or completely redo my fuel lines! argh!!!!...if i had this dam thing running and driving it would be an easier descision...its only run a few times-which is some hope lol!
soooo gathering info for a regulator...not sure if i have room to mount one on the fuel rails?..i guess a fender mount type? but then i have to run a return line alllllll the way back to the tank! dam!!!
Old 03-26-2017, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/12-876

Keep your plumbing...

Andrew
Old 03-26-2017, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Andrew! your the bomb!!..thats why i love this forum!!..i think that will be the ticket!..not cheap but its easier to change line ends than it will be to do a major reconstruction!! thanks again!
Old 03-26-2017, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by learning91
Andrew! your the bomb!!..thats why i love this forum!!..i think that will be the ticket!..not cheap but its easier to change line ends than it will be to do a major reconstruction!! thanks again!
Glad to help. That product was recently featured on the Holley youtube channel, so it stuck with me. They make two versions, I'd use the one I linked you to. The other uses NPT adapters and I hate using NPT for cars. That **** is for home pipes....LOL

Andrew
Old 03-27-2017, 01:04 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

How is that Holley regulator any easier/different than a standard regulator? Couldn't you use any typical fuel pressure regulator? I paid less for my rising rate regulator than that thing and it's adjustable. Just curious what the appeal is?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
How is that Holley regulator any easier/different than a standard regulator? Couldn't you use any typical fuel pressure regulator? I paid less for my rising rate regulator than that thing and it's adjustable. Just curious what the appeal is?
Keep existing plumbing with a short return, like a Corvette regulator...

Andrew
Old 03-28-2017, 07:34 AM
8 Second Club

I guess I’m still not seeing why you couldn’t you put any regulator in the same place and use the same plumbing? I have a standard regulator in the rear just like that and it’s dead headed to the OEM rails up front.

I’m all for neat and easy, sometimes it’s worth the extra cash. (not trash talking Holley or anything). Just don’t see the cost VS ease of install on that sucker VS any typical adjustable FPR on the market.

Last edited by Forcefed86; 03-28-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Andrew really likes holley products
Old 03-28-2017, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by truckdoug
Andrew really likes holley products
I do some, others, not so much. The particular regulator in question also has the filter built in. I am not saying it's better or worse than a regular regulator. The OP was having issues with the Corvette regulator and I remembered that Holley just came out with this.

Geez...tough crowd. Lol

Andrew
Old 03-28-2017, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

I also like holley stuff, yes I guess I could have used a different regulator. i'm not really a fan of being under the car to set it. the holley fits what i'm doing just fine.i wont have to lengthen/replace my current lines and drop the tank yet again. i'm trying to get from under the dam car and in the seat! thanks for your input
Old 05-11-2017, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

ok heres an update...not a good one..installed the holley regulator....42 psi max at the rail..holley told me it was the pump that was bad..foolishly i went with that..replaced the pump with a aeromotive 340 (had a 340 already in it cant remember the name it came with the hat)..still 42 psi with holley reg...if i slightly restrict the return line i get 70 psi..this is with tank down so lines are nice and clear..............so i post on the holley forum and i'm told this regulator is only for 250lph or below?? not for such a big pump?? so i ask why a stock type regulator/filter would have an an8 ports? i would assume its for hp use?? well i assume wrong..so i called holley tech line today..get thru and the fella tells me he's never heard of this problem ever before and it should regulate any pump at a constant 58 psi..no problem...i can not make this stuff up...well i will be sending this holley thing back!! and going with what Forcefed advised a cheaper less expensive alternative..thats adjustable..i humbly say you were right!! and i ask what regulator you used in your setup..i will also have to add filter too...i will certainly tell anyone that will listen the holley filter/regulator is for a stock only setup...i equate it to the corvette regulator..it might work for some but not all....thats my story and i'm stickin to it
Old 05-12-2017, 07:36 AM
8 Second Club

Sorry to hear it didn't work out...

I’ve used this Mallory unit on 4 builds now and not had any issues. That’s with E85 and a 4303 pump. The one on my rx7 has been going for 6 years or so now.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-29389
Old 05-12-2017, 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's unfortunate to hear about your experience. I was actually thinking about getting one of those to replace the Corvette unit that I'm using, just for the sake of cleaning up my plumbing a little bit...

Andrew
Old 05-12-2017, 06:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Very unusual for it to be so far out...are you sure the pressure gauge you are using is correct ?

Are you testing with the engine/pump actually running ?

No leaks prior to the regulator ?
Old 05-12-2017, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

i did verify the pressure with a mech. gage i had laying around..no leaks..i tested with mech gage just pump on..i have a holley hp so my sender is on the rail..and its 42 with the car running or just pump on. i believe i have ruled out the pump! lol..
hey forcefed..i had thought you were saying your fpr was less expensive? its more than the holley plus now i have to add a filter in this mix!...the cash is just flying outta my rear!!
on the holley reg/filter i wouldnt use one after taking it apart...the poppet thing for regulating looks even less impressive in person. if you have a stock type setup it would prob be just fine? i wouldnt chance it for anything above stock imho..i can tell you it spooks me from using their other adjustable fpr...
so a question i have is if i get a fpr that has a range only up to 65-70 max..this would be a bad idea even tho i only need 58? i would think the 95 pump max would maybe damage the fpr? i'm thinking the range should cover the pump max? yes?
thanks everyone!!
Old 05-13-2017, 04:14 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Running a pump with no regulator and against a dead end is more likely to harm the pump than anything else.

If you have adequate fuel flow and no leaks prior to the regulator....then you can only assume that regulator is faulty

Which does seem very odd given its design and it being non adjustable. Unless somehow it is leaking internally.

And rather than hypothetical questions...state what regulator you are thinking of using. But why would a regulator that claims a range within what you want be an issue ?

Quick Reply: 95 lbs of fuel pressure