Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SJM Line lock kit.. top mount or front mount?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SJM Line lock kit.. top mount or front mount?

They sell the top mount and the front mount line lock kit. I was wonderign what one is more conceled in the engine bay. I like the clean look and wonderign if you guys have any pictures? thanks alot
Old 10-25-2005, 07:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Front mount is more concealed…but more difficult to install due to the location of other components.

Shown is a front mount kit. the top mount kit mounts the solenoid near the ground screw on top of your fender...sorry no pic. The top mount kit is MUCH easier to install....your choice whichever you prefer. Both are always in stock and ship w/in 24 hours m-f.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails SJM Line lock kit.. top mount or front mount?-sjm-2b001fm.jpg  
Old 10-25-2005, 08:35 PM
LC
TECH Resident

Steve,

Is there a way to mount the solenoid near the brake cylinder for a more cleaner look?
Old 10-25-2005, 08:53 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LC1
Steve,

Is there a way to mount the solenoid near the brake cylinder for a more cleaner look?

Moving a solenoid which heats up rather quickly near a heat source (headers) may not be the best idea. The only option you'd have is to mount it down vertically from the master cylinder which would be too close to the headers.

The solenoid should be mounted on a surface and not hung freely.

For the discreet individual, it can be color matched to your engine bay. Actually half of it is brass which can be polished ...and the other half can be color matched if you want to be slick about it.

With the clutter in the engine bay of an LS1 car, I think the solenoid is the smallest of concerns:-). Removing the entire ABS modulator and bracket really cleans the engine bay up...there's a ton of wire to hide also including other misc components like the air and egr circuit.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:10 PM
LC
TECH Resident

Thanks Steve.. i have removed EGR/AIR/AC.. I want to remove ABS too, but I'm waiting for other stuff, how ever i would like to know if this is possible...

i took one of GM Muscle pics, hope he does not mind..

LineLock and Valve where the rectangles are, or the 2 together where the circle is.. Heat is not that bad there..

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails SJM Line lock kit.. top mount or front mount?-llab.jpg  
Old 10-25-2005, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

thanks alot! the kit thats a abs delete and the line lock is that a front mount as well thats the one i am probaly goin to go with thanks again
Old 10-25-2005, 11:19 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 35thls1ss19
thanks alot! the kit that’s a abs delete and the line lock is that a front mount as well that’s the one I am probably going to go with thanks again
You're quite welcome.

LC1, the picture you posted shows how our ABS delete kit works...the circled (I think you referenced your circle and square backwards) area would really be out as you cannot mount the components there since the surfaces aren't flat. You should not leave the components dangle. Just connecting the part directly out of a line without support is not a good idea. You most certainly need the proportioning valve mounted since it takes a bit of effort to turn the ****. Without the valve mounted, you'll be placing quite a bit of stress on associated fittings.

The other area where you are indicating (square box), may work though lines formed to go in that area would be tough to work around not to mention it is not a very good flat area. Once again, accessibility and adjustability of the valve is important. I wouldn't know how to position it so that it was easily accessible. It seems the area would be quite cluttered. Not that it wouldn't work...there is more then one way to skin a cat.

I believe our setup of the lines and components does not put the components in a high-stressed area. It cleans the engine bay up quite a bit and still has a rather stock appearance…just less cluttered and removes quite a bit of weight from the front end. It also removes pesky ABS troubles typically found with different sized tires front/rear, and general failure of the ABS circuit. It also saves you the headache and expense of being able to purchase a rear-end without ABS…It will remove ~175.00 of cost from most rear end setups.

I receive comments regarding if removing ABS changes brake feel…not one bit…normal everyday driving you’ll never know it was gone. Actually using the adjustable proportioning valve gives you an advantage as you can fine tune brake front/rear bias.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:30 PM
LC
TECH Resident

Steve

If they can be tucked under the cowl with some mounting support, i would not mind having to stress my hands to set the valve, but now that you mention it.. Do the valve needs constant setting or is just a 1 time tune thing?...

I saw your kits and well you have like 3 different ones for the same use.. What's the deal here?.. I Need ABS delete and LineLock but i don't know what to buy...
Old 10-25-2005, 11:50 PM
FormerVendor

LC1,

You’ll be on your own designing something that works for you if you choose to move them under the cowl....I neglected to mention that IF you run the components up there…you need to get the lines down to the lower k-member somehow…the only way is down and running near the headers. Air flow may be an issue with the lines as well as the components. You certainly do not want to handicap yourself heating the lines up raising the temperature of the brake fluid. You also do not want to pre-maturely damage the components due to excessive heat.

The three different styles are the line locks themselves. We designed the kits for a variety of styles to accommodate everyone. Some like one brand over another...some already own one style or another so we can accommodate those customers too.

I do not feel one style LL solenoid is better then the other…I have used them back to back and cannot tell a difference between them….they are all re-buildable so that is not an issue. I would say the only benefits that I can see over a Hurst style is one appearance (if they prefer a billet look) and finally heat dissipation will be better with the billet aluminum unit utilizing the larger surface area from the fins.

The kits all retain the same components you do NOT get more parts…the ONLY difference in cost is solely due to the solenoid itself nothing else. I feel (as well as many customers), since they all work equally well, no performance differences are felt, the best bang for the buck is using the Biondo style line lock which is substantially less expensive.

The ABS kits…even the most basic kit uses a wilwood proportioning valve, this never changes. The valve can be adjusted for different tire combinations, brake or caliper changes etc. These all can effect how the bias needs adjusted. Remember, the car is designed and biased for the stock brakes, stock wheels and stock rotors…change any or all of them you can completely change the brake bias characteristics…since the stocker can’t be adjusted, using an adjustable valve can be of great benefit.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:57 PM
LC
TECH Resident

Aaah ok... So.. I want to Delete ABS and LineLock

Just one question more.. on the Kit SJM-2ABS31. It Comes with a Flaring Tool.. what does need to be modified?

Thanks
Old 10-26-2005, 12:11 AM
11 Second Club

wait i am still lost ido you have a line lock kit that will delete abs and be line lock?
Old 10-26-2005, 12:29 AM
FormerVendor

The stock lines must be cut and mate into the new lines provided. Any time you cut a line, it needs re-flared. If you have a double flare tool, then no need to purchase one....Choose the 2ABS32 kit instead.

...we offer the kits in a very large variety of styles for just about any consumer to meet their needs. Every kits come with all fittings necessary for the entire install...including the fittings needed to mate the stock lines to the new pre-formed lines. Directions with pictures are included so no need to worry.

Customer support is also available at many times...obviously even after office hours.

Steve
Old 10-26-2005, 12:35 AM
LC
TECH Resident

I was just asking what needs to be modified, the 2ABS31 is my kit

I have heard your customer support is excellent and so i see it right now..

I will buy it from you for sure..

Thanks Steve...
Old 10-26-2005, 12:39 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 35thls1ss19
wait i am still lost ido you have a line lock kit that will delete abs and be line lock?
Yes, the ABS delete kits (all of them), use a line lock (as shown in the above picture that LC1 provided). If you currently had a line lock, then just choose the appropriate kit that does not include a line lock (no need to repurchase one).

If you look at the picture he posted, the proportioning valve is shown clearly on the right bottom side...if you look closely to the right of the proportioning valve the line lock is positioned right next to it (slightly cut out of the picture)
Old 10-26-2005, 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

You're welcome LC1. 35thLS1, if you have additional questions please let me know.

Quick Reply: SJM Line lock kit.. top mount or front mount?