Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Muffler on a TSP TD X-Pipe?
Dynomax Bullets
31.98%
Moroso Spiral Flows
22.09%
Sweet Thunder
45.93%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Sweet Thunder vs Moroso Spiral vs Dynomax

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Sweet Thunder vs Moroso Spiral vs Dynomax

Hey everyone,

A couple recent threads talked about people wanting a mean, loud exhaust system, and had mentioned the Sweet Thunder, Moroso Spiral Flows and Dynomax Bullet mufflers available at TSP (--->) on a TD X pipe. Not many people however offered a good comparison of these mufflers. Can any owners of these mufflers chime in? Voice your opinions!
Old 01-13-2006, 03:44 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can only vouch for the Dynomax Bullets. They are LOUD on a TRex cammed car with the TSP X. They were much louder than my heads/cam (TSP 231/237- also a hard loping cam) car running a similar X-pipe with Magnaflow 4x9's dumped at the axle. Side by side, they made my car sound like a Honda (ok, I exagerrate a 'lil), but you get my point.
But, when my X-pipe had Flowtech Afterburners, it would have been comparable (I got rid of those because they were too loud).
Old 01-13-2006, 03:46 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Also, I don't know how well the Spiral Flows and the Sweet Thunders flow versus bullets. Maybe the TSP guys can anwer that.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i've had the Dynomax bullet and Sweet Thunder chambered bullet; both on stock manifolds/stock y-pipe.

the dynomax is deeper.. while the ST screams up top but doesn't flow as well with it's 2.5in core - you can actually hear the restriction, which i don't like so much. i plan on swapping out again for the Dynomax once I get the LTs on.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Silver02TA
well i've had the Dynomax bullet and Sweet Thunder chambered bullet; both on stock manifolds/stock y-pipe.

the dynomax is deeper.. while the ST screams up top but doesn't flow as well with it's 2.5in core - you can actually hear the restriction, which i don't like so much. i plan on swapping out again for the Dynomax once I get the LTs on.
Thanks, thats good stuff to know! If the ST has 2.5" core, the dynomax is 3"?
Old 01-13-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
But, when my X-pipe had Flowtech Afterburners, it would have been comparable (I got rid of those because they were too loud).
Thanks for the response. I haven't heard of the flowtech mufflers before, I'll have to give those a look up.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rescue Ranger
Thanks, thats good stuff to know! If the ST has 2.5" core, the dynomax is 3"?
yes it is.

i like them both myself, but with LTs, they both might be pretty raspy but i'm going to give the Dynomax a try since it's going to make the most power out of any setup out there.

here's a couple of sound clips i've done comparing the 2:

http://www.ls1poweredta.com/videos/rumbler.wmv
http://www.ls1poweredta.com/videos/sweetthunder.wmv
Old 01-13-2006, 04:29 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rescue Ranger
Thanks for the response. I haven't heard of the flowtech mufflers before, I'll have to give those a look up.
http://www.ls1sounds.com/true_duals/...rner-dumps.wma
Old 01-13-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
you rock. thanks.

Anyone else have opinions of these setups?
Old 01-13-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from Flo-pro twisters to sweet thunders... IMO they sound 10x better than the twisters did... As far as flow goes, I know the car feels stouter than it did with a 3" y-pipe set-up on it.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

I have sweet thunders on my car. Was running Carlos (SouthFL.02.SS) old set-up with the Magnaflow 4x9s. The car was loud at WOT and sounded really good at idle was not loud at all but really deep. When carlos had it on his car it sounded real good with his 231/237 cam. I switched over to the Sweet Thunders because i wanted something louder. well my car sure is louder in every rpm range, and also has a tone. Instead of being loud it has a certain sound, like how the mustang has a very specific tone. And i would never look back. At times now i think my car still isn't loud enough, i ran it once open headers and loved it so who knows what i may do next.
-Joel
Old 01-13-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Sweet Thunders really sound great. I had a set that dumped under my car on true duals without a X. Let me tell you that was some loud popping under my butt, but full throttle would rip holes in the asphault! I had to put on some quieter mufflers so I could drive my car during the Wee hours of the morning. I'm gonna put them back on in the summer.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Does the ST in your I-pipe sound GMMG-like at all? Is this with a muffler also, or a loudmouth type setup? Have you considered the stainless works 3" chambered muffler?
Old 01-13-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Does the ST in your I-pipe sound GMMG-like at all? Is this with a muffler also, or a loudmouth type setup?
it's the only muffler. it's a bit louder and unrefined than the GMMG since it's 1 muffler instead of 2..

- ron
Old 01-13-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

it's the only muffler. it's a bit louder and unrefined than the GMMG since it's 1 muffler instead of 2..

- ron
How loud are we talking?(I know subjective) Did you have a LM before you threw the ST in there? Is it more quiet than the LM w/resonator? I'd like a throaty GMMG type sound, but not if it's going to be way too loud and drone alot.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

great replies so far! lets keep this going.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:52 AM
Teching In

I'm in the same boat as you really. I actually called TSP to see what they had to say
and they told me (I believe it was John? I talked to... I'm terrible with names sorry)
that with either muffler choice it's not going to be anymore than a 2-4 horses which i can believe.
Bullets flow the best but are the loudest, Moroso's most likely quietest but not by much.
I will probably go with Moroso's myself, as the loudness is Somewhat of a concern
with me, just so it doesn't drive me nuts while drving it. Keep the opinions coming please...
Old 01-14-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Zadens01Z28
that with either muffler choice it's not going to be anymore than a 2-4 horses which i can believe.
glad you talked to TSP. maybe they can chime in here as to the differences between the mufflers?
`
Also, 4whp difference just between changing mufflers is quite a gain conisdering they cost the same
Old 01-14-2006, 10:43 AM
10 Second Club

I had a bullet in a y pipe configuration and hated it, very raspy. Now I have 3" duals dumped with flo pro twisters and it sounds very good IMO, and I get quite a few compliments about it. With duals, these mufflers are definatley not restrictive, I made 400 hp cam only with an a4. I think they sound more aggressive than the ST duals that I have heard.
As far as flow goes I'd say bullet > twister > ST.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:07 AM
Teching In

what inch ST are we talking? there are 3? i have the 24" on my lt1 blazer, it sounds great

Quick Reply: Sweet Thunder vs Moroso Spiral vs Dynomax