Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

GEN V direct injection 6.2 L92 well north of 450HP.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GEN V direct injection 6.2 L92 well north of 450HP.......

GM Reveals Small-Block V-8 with Direct Injection - wardsauto.com
By Mike Sutton
Aug. 29, 2007
MILFORD, MI – Although General Motors Corp. is dividing its resources to cover all fronts of advanced powertrain development, the future of the auto maker’s foundation OHV small-block V-8 architecture appears secure with the advent of direct-injection gasoline (DIG) technology.

Among the various exhibits of engineering bravado on display at the auto maker’s proving grounds here, including two-mode hybrid-electric drivetrains, ultra-clean turbodiesels and homogeneous charge compression ignition flex-fuel engines, a seemingly untouched Cadillac Escalade stands out.

Emblazoned with giant E85 banners down its flanks, there is little to indicate the industry’s first OHV V-8 with DIG fueling lurks beneath the SUV’s pearl white hood.

The experimental engine is based on GM’s current all-aluminum Gen IV 6.2L V-8 (L92) found in the Escalade, GMC Yukon Denali and Hummer H2. Depending on the application, the powerplant, which sports port fuel injection, variable valve timing (VVT) and dual-cam phasing, is rated between 380-403 hp in stock form.

However, with a little tweaking to accommodate the auto industry’s latest fuel-injection hardware, the prototype V-8 is producing “well north of 450 hp (on gasoline),” says Dave Sczomak, development engineer-GM Powertrain Advanced Engineering.
Running the engine on E85 ethanol allows for even more power to be coaxed from the big V-8, he adds, noting the 85%/15% ethanol/gasoline mix generally carries a race fuel-like 106 octane rating.

Cruising the web of test roads onsite, the Escalade motors along smoothly with a characteristic large-displacement V-8 burble. However, mashing the gas from a standstill produces a wave of power that propels the big truck at a noticeably more rapid pace than the production version.

Along with the substantial increase in horsepower, DIG also contributes to about a 10% increase in low-end torque, Sczomak says. In addition, fuel economy is moderately improved (3-6%), as are cold-start emissions of hydrocarbons.

To accommodate the DIG fueling system, GM redesigned the L92 cylinder heads, rearranging the intake ports to make room for the eight high-pressure injectors that squirt fuel directly into the side of the combustion chamber at 2,250 psi (155 bar).
New dished pistons – similar to a diesel’s – were installed for added clearance of the injectors. They also contribute to a greater compression ratio (11.5:1 vs. 10.5:1), which can be employed because of the high-octane composition of E85 and the knock-reducing cooling effect of introducing fuel directly into the cylinder.

A modified engine controller manages the engine’s operation, while VVT and Active Fuel Management cylinder deactivation contribute to efficiency and refinement.

The development sounds like a no-brainer for improving nearly every aspect of the near-60-year-old small block’s performance.
However, Tom Stephens, group vice president-GM Powertrain and Quality, notes introducing a production DIG small block would “require the next-generation architecture” of the engine, or Gen V.

This primarily is due to the huge volumes of V-8 engines GM produces, Sczomak says, noting a radical change in cylinder-head design, for example, becomes a monumental undertaking when taking into account GM’s annual build of more than 1 million small block V-8s.

Fortunately, timing is on the auto maker’s side. The recent introduction of the ’08 Corvette’s 430-hp LS3 V-8, along with the release later this year of the ’08 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid’s 6.0L V-8, represent the last editions of the Gen IV engine family, Stephens says.

All subsequent introductions will be of the Gen V architecture and could have DIG fueling integrated from the ground up, especially considering the refinement of the current test engine’s operation. The greater specific output provided by DIG also would allow for greater engine downsizing, thereby improving fuel economy even further.

“GM would want to introduce this (DIG) on a high-profile vehicle, such as the new (Chevrolet) Camaro or (rear-wheel-drive) Impala,” Global Insight analyst John Wolkonowicz says, referring to the auto maker’s plans for new volume models based on its global RWD platform developed by GM Holden Ltd. in Australia.

The new Camaro, which originally was shown at the 2005 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, is expected to appear later next year as an ’09 model, with the all-new RWD Impala taking form sometime early in the next decade. Revisions for future generations of the Corvette and Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra pickups are expected in the same timeframe, Wolkonowicz says.

By capitalizing on areas of significant improvement that remain untapped in its core engine lineup, while simultaneously amping up the arrival of its new hybrid-electric vehicles, clean diesels and hydrogen fuel cells, GM clearly is betting on an ever-fracturing market for advanced powertrains.

As a result, the iconic grumble of the small-block V-8 appears poised to remain a fixture of the automotive landscape for the foreseeable future.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Sweeet..DI v8 for Camaro.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh my god!!!
Did anyone see this coming at all!!

I frequent tech and gminsidenews.com and I don't think I have seen anything about this yet.

PS I havent even read the post and I am excited.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:52 AM
Launching!

The new CTS models have an option for a direct injection 3.5L. It picks up somewhere around 30 horsepower and torque over the standard 3.5L and supposedly gets better gas mileage. So, it seems pretty reasonable to think that you could pick up over 50 horsepower from the 6.2L by just going to the DI system (even more with E85 apparently). It's great to see the GM engineers continue to refine and update the small block so that it doesn't become obsolete. I wonder how easy the new Gen V could be transferred in a retrofit situation, though. That may be a little tough. Time will tell.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My jetski has had DI since 2001, so I guess I'm not at all impressed. I mean I would hope GM could keep up with bombardier.......7 years later.

I guess they are going in the right direction, albeit slowly.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Friggin SWEET!
This is the golden age of hot rodding.
I bet in another 10 years I should be able to buy a RWD sports coupe from GM with a V8 Turbo Diesel with Direct Injection.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevegrizzle
My jetski has had DI since 2001, so I guess I'm not at all impressed. I mean I would hope GM could keep up with bombardier.......7 years later.

Direct injection on a 2 stroke is a much simpler implimentation.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuggin Schweeeeet!!!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 02:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

All current Diesel engines are direct injection, the Soltice GXP also has direct injection
Old 08-31-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
Oh my god!!!
Did anyone see this coming at all!!

I frequent tech and gminsidenews.com and I don't think I have seen anything about this yet.

PS I havent even read the post and I am excited.
Yeah, I think they named them the Solstice and Sky.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by drain89
Friggin SWEET!
This is the golden age of hot rodding.
I bet in another 10 years I should be able to buy a RWD sports coupe from GM with a V8 Turbo Diesel with Direct Injection.
I'd say a lot sooner than that. The 2009 Duramax 4.5l turbo diesel was designed to fit in the same space as a SBC. I can't imagine it would take GM 8 or 9 years before they would try putting that engine into one of their SBC sport coupes.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by snketr
Yeah, I think they named them the Solstice and Sky.
And when was the solstice or sky offered with a 6.2L V8 DI?

You, sir, are an idiot!
Old 08-31-2007, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Great, A hole lot more to learn in the performance industry! =)
Old 09-04-2007, 10:44 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

You, sir, are an idiot!
The Solstice and Sky didn't have the displacement, but they did have the Direct Injection. You'd be an idiot not to know that.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You, sir, are an idiot!

Impressive. DI has nothing to do with displacement. It's INJECTION not displacement. Who's the idiot?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevegrizzle

yeah

My problem with this is that there's no new DI injectors. The Solstice/Skyy GXP guys are having the problem of finding larger injectors once they out-horsepower theirs. We will too, unless the aftermarket steps up REAL quick.

Anybody care to chime in on some aftermarket injectors?

There's no more SBCs, they're SBGMs now.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

When there is a need for them, they will be here.

Think about it, how many DI Sol/Sky's are out there now. Not many. When this hits the V-8 production line, there will 50 times more of these engines hit the streets and the aftermarket will be there to supply the need.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:19 AM
10 Second Club

sounds awesome, but some of you guys are looking at it that the camaro IS going to get DI. it doesn't say that! that is how internet rumors get spread.

It would be great if it does though
Old 09-08-2007, 04:24 PM
dug
Banned

imagine a v8 with direct injection, variable cam timing and variable intake runners. could it get anymore refined?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

has their been any updates on this yet?
over here in aussie land i have read in a magazine we are suppose to be bringing out a 5.5L direct injection LS engine in 2012 or 13. looking very forward to some aftermarket ls7 heads like this or even some mast motorsport

Quick Reply: GEN V direct injection 6.2 L92 well north of 450HP.......