Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replica Firehawk hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replica Firehawk hood

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trans...spagenameZWDVW

I was browsing ebay and found this hood. Ive never seen a replica firehawk hood befor. Besides the fast that it needs cut to be functional I wonder how the fit is.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Teching In

it pretty much looks like my suncoast raptor hood, except it came functional w/out having "them" drill it out. Mine fits aright...not as nice as factory though
Old 08-29-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On a Firehawk the front bumper is cut to make it fit right. It looks like on this hood they tried to make it fit without having to cut the bumper...so I dont think it would flow as well as a real Firehawk bumper and hood. But its also about 1/4 the cost....
Old 08-29-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I know, I wonder what it looks like on the car. The price is awsome, When I FIRST looked at the picture I thought somone was replicating the super hawk hood then I noticed it looked more like the raptor but MUCH cheaper. The price is enticing but I bet it fits like ****.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:47 PM
11 Second Club

sunoco wannabe?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fiber...d=p3911.c0.m14
Old 09-01-2008, 12:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well.... they seem to have good and positive feedback... look...
http://feedback.ebay.com/ebaymotors/...d=170256057841
Old 09-01-2008, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by x2jesse1x
Yeah I know, I wonder what it looks like on the car. The price is awsome, When I FIRST looked at the picture I thought somone was replicating the super hawk hood then I noticed it looked more like the raptor but MUCH cheaper. The price is enticing but I bet it fits like ****.
You were correct... that's a replica of the Superhawk that I designed with my own two hands... just for this scam artist to buy one from me just a short while ago and cast molds from it, as he's apparently done with many other company's hard work. It looks as if he's done the exact same thing with VFN's Sunoco hood that they invested plenty of hard hours into perfecting. If you check his other auctions, you'll see that every single thing he's building has been replicated directly from other manufacturers) PLEASE... I'm not even speaking for myself here, just PLEASE pass on this this a**hole's cheap knock-off and spend the extra money for VFN's hood!!!

I have plenty of faith in VFN's quality and customer service. They're real good people out there, not scam artists like this guy. First off I'm guessing that these are all cheap chopped-glass hoods, being as how the cost of materials has doubled over the past few months, there's absolutely NO way this guy is hand-laying them (as VFN and I build our parts) and offering them at those cheap prices. So... you'll end up with a very heavy, resin-rich part that's been cheaply made with inferior materials compared to what VFN uses.

If you don't know what this would mean to you as potential customers, a cheap part like this is most likely made from a chopped mold as well, which is likely to be out of shape, no matter how straight and true my superhawk or VFN's sunoco hoods were when he got his hands on them. The reason being that it was only a matter of 3-4 days from the time I shipped him that hood until the time he had his first auction on ebay for it with pictures of his knock-off. When you build a mold that quickly with a choppergun, and pile the material on in that kind of timeframe, the mold will warp because it's too much resin curing at the same time getting very very hot... it's unavoidable... as opposed to laying up the mold in many different stages to cure it gradually and avoid the high temperatures that will warp the production mold. As far as the part goes... if the mold is out of shape, the part made from it never stood a chance to fit in the first place, but being that it would likely be built with the same cheap materials and short-cut methods resulting in the typical "bodyshop nightmares" I'm guessing they'll be (being as how he seems to have a bad habit of taking short-cuts, like buying other peoples designs to copy as opposed to him actually designing anything himself).... and keep in mind that when the bodyshop gets frustrated with a crappy part, it's the customer that will be shelling out hundreds of extra dollars... so I'm gonna bet that you'll have lest money invested paying the extra bucks upfront for the VFN brand hood.

If I sound a little bitter, it's probably because I am ... I was way behind schedule here at my shop due to some materials being backordered, leaving me without all I needed to keep up with my production. All of my customers were very patient and understanding about the delays, which I am very thankful for.... except for this guy. For every customer I was running late with, I did what I could to help make up for the delays and to thank them for their patience with me. I paid for all their freight charges (which we all know isn't cheap these days), and offered them all their choice of some additional parts free of charge. This guy got the same deal, free shipping and additional parts offered for free. He proceeded to leave me a voicemail calling me "dishonest" and a "scam-artist" ... I am neither, and any of my customers can vouch for that. There have been plenty of bumps in the road over the past few months that had gotten me behind schedule, but that's the extent of it and I have been working to do whatever I could to make sure my customers came away from the deal happy, no matter what. In the same voicemail he actually threatened to report me to the Better Business Bureau, as well as slander me on the f-body forums. Well, sure enough, I got the letter from the BBB. Am I the only one that's absolutely AMAZED by this?!?!?... He ordered a hood from me with the intentions of stealing my own design that I built to offer cheap knock-offs on ebay... and I'M the "dishonest scam-artist" that HE reports to the BBB?!?!??!.... I seriously hope that he follows through with slandering me on the boards, and hopefully this post (which is 100% factual and I'd swear to in a court of law) will encourage him to come here and challenge anything I've said. ... Sorry for my classic long-windedness folks, but I wasn't about to bite my tongue when it comes to a piece of work like this. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread

Last edited by Roger@U.S.Exotics; 09-01-2008 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that was a big post.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Wow that was a big post.
Yeah... I'm not much of a talker ... kinda shy.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:29 AM
TECH Resident

For starters... I bought and owned a hood sold to me personally from roger... and whatever he says I would believe him because he was nothing but professional and extreamly nice the whole sale...
Old 09-01-2008, 07:25 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

We've never met Roger, but I feel really bad for you. Do you have any legal recourse against this guy? It's a shame when stuff like this happens, but I'm guessing it happens more than people realize.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

roger, are you talking to VFN about the rips of your hoods? I bet you guys could get legal help, as you are two different companies getting ripped off by him.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Ouch.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

interesting
Old 09-01-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, that is a pretty obvious thing he did. Buy a hood only to rip it off and sell it.

Im betting that you might have some legal actions to take against him Roger. Who knows though.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

Hey Roger! I love your Superhawk hood! I plan to get one from you one day. Don't you have the hood patented or registered? Looks like you have a case there!
Old 09-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Do not buy anything from that seller...they are very well known in the mustang community for the worst fitting hoods as well as neeing many hours of filling and prep before paint. They constantly change their ebay id when they get too many negatives but its always the same seller out of OH. Check back on that seller id in a month or two and it will either be gone or have a ton of negatives for terrible hoods.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No matter what it is....hoods, wheels, coffee or steaks....its a well know fact you almost always get what you pay for!
Old 09-02-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
No matter what it is....hoods, wheels, coffee or steaks....its a well know fact you almost always get what you pay for!
Cold plain truth right there.... ^^^
Old 09-03-2008, 10:52 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks Roger.
Sorry to see that they've stolen your design too.

We've known about the knock-off of our hood for a while now too. We have even brought this to the seller's attention, which was returned with extremely profane emails, which from what I've read on different forums is the norm for how these guys handle their customers, let alone the companies the designs are stolen from.
Unfortunately we are not the only companies, I've read that they offer a Cervini design, complete with Cervini's patient numbers made into their molds!!!
All I can say is PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS HOOD from this company. It is a cheap imitation and will not hold up for either street or strip use. These hoods are made from lesser materials and have been known to fly off the car....If you dig in to many of the web forums, you will find pages of complaints from people who have purchased these products!
Such as this one:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=273968

If you go onto page 8 of this thread, you will see that even the BBB is taking them to court:from BBB.com

Government Actions

On April 1, 2005 the Ohio Attorney General filed a lawsuit against Eric Holt & Angela Maly, doing business as Cobra Auto Designs and Cincinnati Composites. The Attorney General alleges that the companies have violated the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act by misrepresenting the automotive parts that they sell, failing to honor express or implied warranties, failing to deliver ordered items in a timely manner, failing to provide requested refunds, and charging restocking fees for cancelled orders without prior notice. The lawsuit seeks to prohibit the firms from engaging in these practices, reimbursement for consumers who have filed complaints, and civil penalties.

For more information concerning this action, please contact the Ohio Attorney General's office toll free in Ohio at 1-800-282-0515 or visit them online at www.ag.state.oh.us.

This is a company that has had many name changes over the last few years...cincy composites, hoods for less, etc.....they are the same 2 people selling the same bad products hoping to move on to unsuspecting customers and make a buck.

Dealing with many members here who have purchased either our or Roger's products, I know that you guys put a lot of pride, time, money into your cars and want an outstanding product that will not only look great on the car, but also hold up and last....you can clearly see that these hoods are not properly made and will not have the finished appearance that you're hoping for to complete the look of your car.
I have yet to hear or read from a happy customer who has been able to return their product for a refund or a new product. These customers are instead greeted with reps who talk crap over the phone, hang up on them, or bad mouth them on forums!!

If I sound bitter writing this too...the same as Roger, we are as well. We (both VFN and Roger @ US Exotics) work very hard (time, money) on the designs we make and we put a lot of pride into our work. For two morons to buy a hood, tape it off and make molds from it, shows that they are thieves just waiting to cash in on other people's hard work, and it's B.S.

Last edited by vfntech; 09-03-2008 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Replica Firehawk hood