Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

looking for some, ideas? SBC 4th gen swap

Old 05-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for some, ideas? SBC 4th gen swap

Hey guys, i'm slowly starting to use this site, i dont know how some people can navigate through more than 2 or 3 forums, but i guess that means i shouldnt own so many different cars haha!

Anyways, my project that i have going for myself is a SBC swap into my 95 formula T/A, now the car was bought kinda smashed up and drive trainless, and its my baby/project! I'm only starting to get the ball rolling on the project here, next week i go and get all the parts that i need in Jesup Iowa, but currently i have my motor, and the car. i'm going to start with fabbing up some motor mounts, and of course i've noticed the REdonculas mounting of the LT1 VS. a SBC, now i dont know if the boys at GM were drunk or high when they did such a stupid thing (i actually find it funny) that the motor mounts are almost exactly 180* backwards, WTH? anywaysm i'm not going to rag about it, i just want to know what some guys have done or fabbed up for motor mounts to the stock subframe, i currently have the subframe out, and i'm looking for a 'Mock Block' so i can make some cardboard templates.

Also, my plans are to run a ramjet intake, or modify a lt1 intake, i'm not sure yet, and i havent been able to find out too much about intake for this paticular swap. Transmission plans are to use a rebuilt t-10, and convert it to a hydrolic clutch, i think i may be doing that all on my own with some creativity. anyways, any help or pictures, ideas, links, is a BIG help! i wanna get this thing rolling my the end of summer!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

For the motor mounts I would probably put some plates right over the old one but with the extra hole. I know its going to add a lillte thickness but it probably wouldnt affect anything. I personally just used the 2 bolts that lined up since in not puttin down a lot of HP/TQ.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

i dont plan for going over 400 hsp, i couldnt afford any more anyways lol, your motor didnt sit crooked did it? it looks like mine did when i kinda threw it in
Old 05-07-2009, 11:14 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I did the same, just used the LT1 mounts and have 2 bolts on each side. I have no issues what so ever.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

I used the stock lt1 mounts and the ear i didnt use. I cut it off and re welded it so i had 3 bolts holding it again
Old 05-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

what do you guys have to trannys? and what are you running for a intake? any pictures?
Old 05-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

another question is how much further could you move the motor foward with out having issues with the fans? and did you guys have problems with the harmonic ballancer hitting the sway bar? did you guys go with a smaller ballancer?

Last edited by bob442; 05-07-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:17 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Everything was a pretty direct swap, I used the sock T56 trans.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

i thought that **** didnt bolt up?
Old 05-07-2009, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

nope, it sits perfect in there. Im using a t-5 tranny out of a third gen with a t-56 crossmember and a third gen driveshaft. For the intake Im using a performer rpm with a matching carb. I dont think my engine was moved forward any using the lt1 mounts. The only thing I had to do was lightly bend the oil pan to fit over the steering rack. Other than that its really very simple. I was able to swap engines in mine in 2 days. Take out old sat evening and install new set up on sunday.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

i guess the only difference is that i'm doing is fuel injection lol, what did you do for the gauges? and you wernt worried about the sway bar hitting the hormonic ballancer? could you get a few decent pictures of the motor mounted in there for me please? thanks for the info guys. i'll be honest with some of you, your crazy to only have 4 bolts hold down the motor haha
Old 05-07-2009, 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

The balancer sits with plenty of distance from the sway bar. For the speedo I hooked up the vss right to the gauge cluster, the water temp reads proplerly if you hook it up to either a stock sending unit or an autometer shortsweep sender. The fuel and voltage should work with no modification. The tach I wired direct to the gauge from the distributor but I had to use a diode in line to get it to read above 3k but it is about 200 rpm higher than actual rpm.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

hey guys, another quick question, i have a subframe for a ls1with the motor mounts, would i be further ahead to use those mounts? not quite sure if those mounts are easier

Search this Thread