Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Not a v8, but i could use some help with my 4.3

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not a v8, but i could use some help with my 4.3

i have a 4.3 and im trying to get the distributor set right. this ignition system is electronically controlled so rotor and cap location is very critical right? i have the rotor in the correct location and the oil pump drive lined up right. now the haynes manual says that the #1 spark plug wire needs to be at the bottom right. but on which side do the computer wires on the distributor go, to the left or to the right. i attached a paint file to help explain. like i said i know its not a small or big block, but i was wondering if i could get some insight. thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
untitled.bmp (56.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 09-21-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to help my neighbor the other day. This dist was like "B", BUT the #1 was on the opposite side of the cap, 180 from where the diagram is. I think the firing order was 1-6-5-4-3-2 with 1-3-5 on the drivers side. Dist turned clockwise. Fired right up.

He changed the cap and rotor and got them all screwed up. I pulled #1 plug, got the compression up and pulled the cap and saw where the rotor was and started from there. Him and another neighbor worked on it for 5 hours b4 I showed up. Took me all of 10 minutes.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:43 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What year is it? I think the crab cap ones can only be oriented one way. Many of the divorced coil normal cap versions can be timed by disconnecting one wire out of the ECM harness in the cabin and moving the distributor.

My experience with a 94 CPI 4.3 was that the balancer did not have a notch that matched the timing mark on the front cover. I set it, test drove it, advance it until it was pinging a bit on 87 octane, then backed it off enough for good drivability.

And yes, it's firing order and DS order are just like cambird said.

Make sure the distributor bushings aren't work out. Our trucks was worn the hell out and was grinding the pickup coil reluctor ring horribly.

I'm really sad it has rod knock at 180k miles. I'll be distraught when I get around to putting a 5.3 in it.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Teching In

the truck is a 90 s10 but the motor is from a 91. and the spec says that the timing mark on the balancer needs to be at 0 at idle. and the computer controls the spark advance. the manual shows the same thing as i have attached but doesnt have the squares in the back that i have. that is why im asking which way that needs to go. Idk but it might not matter.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's a whole lot of info over here too www.s-10forum.com There's a section on that particular engine I believe. Not trying to run you off, just thought I tell you about the
S10 forum. Gl man!

-SS
Old 09-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Teching In

yeah i posted on there too, got no reply yet so i figured i try here.

Quick Reply: Not a v8, but i could use some help with my 4.3