Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Patriot BBC kit???

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot BBC kit???

Just curious if anyone has used Patriot's BBC kit they have for the top end. It's heads, cam, intake, etc...EVERYTHING needed for a top end build. Just seems too good to be true and it's my late Father's 454 and I dont want to run the risk of tearing it up but if it's good stuff hey I'm all for it lol. Or I'll build the BB and buy an LSX454 when they arrive at SDPC but that's my generation for ya.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 67-95Pilot
Just curious if anyone has used Patriot's BBC kit they have for the top end. It's heads, cam, intake, etc...EVERYTHING needed for a top end build. Just seems too good to be true and it's my late Father's 454 and I dont want to run the risk of tearing it up but if it's good stuff hey I'm all for it lol. Or I'll build the BB and buy an LSX454 when they arrive at SDPC but that's my generation for ya.
If you don't want to go all out you can find some older BBC aluminum heads out there and and intake for cheap.

My old C port BBC heads can be found for about $1,200, find a used intake to go with it ect ect.

Do yourself a favor though at at least get some ARP head bolts if not studs and some ARP rod bolts. Do that and with forged pistons it will handle a 300 shot no problem. A 454 based motor will handle a lot of power pretty easy. With factory rods and crank a 2 bolt main will handle like 800hp with good hardware.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:46 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

YES, that top end kit is awesome. Their products are great. They have a pump gas 496 that makes 725 HP, if that isnt good enough, i dont know what is. They are quality with a good price.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Ok well I'm still stuck between a 454 BBC and the LSX454 so idk?? I wish I could find who made the 454 in the RV its coming out of to see the specs on the internals? It's a Coachmen RV and the block number is 14015445 (454 75-87 Truck Light Duty). I havent gotten it out and if anyone's pulled a big block out of a RV DAMN it's a bitch. It's only got 12k miles since its been rebuilt so I don't know what she'll look like when its out I'm hoping it'll be ok to just bolt heads and a cam in which is why I've been looking at Patriots kit.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Building a LSX 454 from say ERL will cost A LOT more then a regular 454. That block is the 2 bolt main block but that is ok honestly, it will handle about anything you can throw at it. The early 70's (like 71) blocks I hear are the best, I sold mine a few months ago and it was a 71. They are a little stronger I think but I doubt much.

There are a lot of miked reviews on the Patriot stuff... do some GOOGLE searches and decide foryourself.

Be carefull pulling the iron head's..... they weigh a ton. The factory crank and rods will handle like 800hp easy, Id get some ARP hardware though. Mine was a 468 (60 over 454) and had some TRW forged pistons in it and factory rod bolts and 2 bolt main bolts and it took a 300 shot no problem to give you an idea.

Swap hardware, pistons, and the top end and have fun.

I would also tear it down and have the block cleaned and painted and all.. coming out of an RV I am sure it has a lot of junk on it and I am sure some sludge in it.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Teching In

I probably wouldnt build the LSX engine if I went that way. I'm looking at the GM crate LSX454. It's 10k carb to pan, well it doesnt come with a pan but i think GM's muscle car pan runs like 400? The LSX controller I forgot how much it is so yeah it would haave a good amount of cash in it and thats not even the 8 coils. I REALLY like the 572 but its still in the 10k+ range. I just want a solid, bad *** engine that I can drive around and possibly on the Power Tour in memory of my Dad.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

The nice thing about the BBC is you can get most of the stuff for it at swap meet's for pretty cheap.

I sold some stuff to a local that is building a 496 for power tour type stuff. It can be done with the right part's. You can't go wrong either way.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Ok well if I go BBC I'll be building it at my work with the Patriot kit and when it makes it in the car it'll have a BIG aluminum radiator with a constant 12V puller fan and a temp controlled pusher. It'll be tested first just in case the pusher fan is hendering airflow across the radiator. I'll run a Quick Fuel carb. since I fell for them at NADC building engines in hi-po class. Hell it's basically a Holley just a bit better designed. I'm hoping for 500h.p. AT LEAST but I want it streetable. If I cant make it with that combo I'll sell the big block and go LS.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

500hp streetable in a 454 with good heads is easy, if it does not make that then something is wrong.

My last car just had a factory 4 core radiator from a truck in it with factory f-body electric fand and a belt driven water pump with a fan on it (was going to pull i tbefore I wold it). It ran like at 180 degrees and only needed the electic fans in traffic.

As long as you have good airflow a single large pusher should be all you would need with a big aluminum radiator.... the two electrics I had were small, like 12 inches across each.

With a puller and pusher they would have to be small so that one can be on either end of the radiator......
Old 10-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Ok I'll probably still go alum. just for looks and since it's a sentimental project. I want the LSX454 for myself but since it was my Dad's car i'll keep it big block and probably run a LSX engine in my GTO but idk. I need to figure out where I want to spread the cash around. It's got a TH400 bolted to it now in the RV which would be cool if I had a Gear Vendors overdrive but damn they're high. Who makes a good 4L60 or 65 that'll hold 600 and is streetable?
Old 10-20-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Ok I'll probably still go alum. just for looks and since it's a sentimental project. I want the LSX454 for myself but since it was my Dad's car i'll keep it big block and probably run a LSX engine in my GTO but idk. I need to figure out where I want to spread the cash around. It's got a TH400 bolted to it now in the RV which would be cool if I had a Gear Vendors overdrive but damn they're high. Who makes a good 4L60 or 65 that'll hold 600 and is streetable?
I had a 400 in my car and with the right tire the rpm is not bad at all. The local I was talking about got a 4L80E and put a few good parts in it and that was it. It is pretty much a 400 with an overdrive... or if you want to save some cash I would find a good tranny shop to build one.. a few sponsors on here also..... 600hp is not that big of a deal when building a tranny.

Aluminum radiator is fine, Im just saying as long as it is thick then you will be ok, mine was not aluminum and it ran great and it going into a MOPAR now.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Well I was thinking 4L80 but I had also talked to Marty Morris from SDPC when I was considering the LSX454 at the Shootout this past weekend he said a friend of his or someone had used a 4L80 and had to hack the hell out of the tranny tunnel to make it work?
Old 10-21-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Well I was thinking 4L80 but I had also talked to Marty Morris from SDPC when I was considering the LSX454 at the Shootout this past weekend he said a friend of his or someone had used a 4L80 and had to hack the hell out of the tranny tunnel to make it work?
Not sure on that, would not suprise me though.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

Depends on the car, some have very small trans tunnels and others have huge tunnels.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:31 PM
FormerVendor

Very interesting build. Good luck with all of it and we would love to see it out on the Hot Rod Tour. Very cool though.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Thanks ERL...hopefully I'll have it going by next shootout. I loved the 500ci you guys had on display. I didnt investigate it as much as I wanted to I'm a nerd for the midway at big shows. I wish I could hook up with some guys and get a job in the hi-po industry, I'm a diesel tech for Dodge right now and its getting old.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

I had no idea ERL was in Indiana.... hmmm... all well.. it is like they say.... once you go Big Block you never go back....

Quick Reply: Patriot BBC kit???