Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

What SBC for me ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What SBC for me ?

I have an 82' impala with 267 4.4 liter dog and a 700r4. i want to make this car much more livable as far as fuel economy agos. i dont care that much on overall performance even tho i would like alittle bit more then what i have what would be the best 1st gen small block to build up for my car ? any thoughts would be appreciated
Old 10-23-2009, 06:55 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

A simple 350 with vortec heads and a tiny cam sound like the right plan for you man. If you want a bit more power and great drivability of a stock car, a 350 with a small cam can deliver 300 HP and 350 TQ with no problem and purr like a stocker.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
A simple 350 with vortec heads and a tiny cam sound like the right plan for you man. If you want a bit more power and great drivability of a stock car, a 350 with a small cam can deliver 300 HP and 350 TQ with no problem and purr like a stocker.
thats what i was thinking. dont wanna go to big. i was thinking of a 305 at first but i dont think it would have the bottom end grunt that id need. especially with the i think, 2.73 stock gears that i have. which i dont want to change.

On another note, which carb would be a good one to run with a set up like that ? i have a 1406 edelbrock which has just given me a multitude of problems. id want to go with holley if anything but id like to know what you guys are running. thanks again
Old 10-24-2009, 12:22 AM
In-Zane Moderator

A Holley 650 vacuum secondary would suit the bill for you just fine man.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

A Holley 650 vacuum secondary would suit the bill for you just fine man.
so a mild 350 with a holly vacuum secondary carb would be more then enough power. fuel economy would do greatly in part to my right foot which is why im suffering so much with my 267 i have to rev the nuts off of it to get it to move

concidering ill be going for more low end grunt. i was thinking running mid length headers or even stock manifolds as apposed to long tubes. any thoughts?
Old 10-24-2009, 11:23 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Run a 1 5/8 shorty header, something like the headman pieces. They are great, especially for what you are doing.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

u should look into a stock 4.8 ls.
when i had it in my truck, i would get around 23-25mpg with stock everything. and in a rcsb. efi will prolly net the best mpg. but a 600 or 650 vaccum sec. will also work excellent.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NemeSS
u should look into a stock 4.8 ls.
when i had it in my truck, i would get around 23-25mpg with stock everything. and in a rcsb. efi will prolly net the best mpg. but a 600 or 650 vaccum sec. will also work excellent.
a 4.8 ls ? ill assume that thats a gen 3 small block ? where can you even find an engine like that. if it isnt to expensive and i can easily run a carb set up on it (to keep it simple and nostalgic) ill definitely take a look into it. if not ill run a 350 (vortec if possible) with a 600/650 vacuum secondary holley with shortie headers with a true duel 2.5" exhaust with an X pipe...
Old 10-24-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
a 4.8 ls ? ill assume that thats a gen 3 small block ? where can you even find an engine like that. if it isnt to expensive and i can easily run a carb set up on it (to keep it simple and nostalgic) ill definitely take a look into it. if not ill run a 350 (vortec if possible) with a 600/650 vacuum secondary holley with shortie headers with a true duel 2.5" exhaust with an X pipe...
4.8 ls motor are common in 99+ pick up trucks. all the ls mods. will work on it.
it makes like 265hp/285tq stock. it runs very well, imo better than a 350vortec. can also use with carburator. all the parts are available.
even with mech fan, do not need e-fans.
will also lay the foundation for future bigger ci ls motor. can reuse your 700r4. and other drivetrain parts.
usually less than 800$ for complete engine. never run hot. stock truck wp move more volume than any other ls wp. better bearing system.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Junkie

4.8 ls motor are common in 99+ pick up trucks. all the ls mods. will work on it.
it makes like 265hp/285tq stock. it runs very well, imo better than a 350vortec. can also use with carburator. all the parts are available.
even with mech fan, do not need e-fans.
will also lay the foundation for future bigger ci ls motor. can reuse your 700r4. and other drivetrain parts.
usually less than 800$ for complete engine. never run hot. stock truck wp move more volume than any other ls wp. better bearing system.
NemeSS thank you very much for the information. im starting to look them up and there not that expensive for a used engine. im sure i can find one locally for even less.

with the fact that all the LS partswill work on it it would make things alot easier to get it to work on my impala. especially if my 700R4 will bolt up to it. thats the biggest plus. id just have to worry about if my tranny will support that much power lol but i wouldnt even beat on it
Old 10-24-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

NemeSS thank you very much for the information. im starting to look them up and there not that expensive for a used engine. im sure i can find one locally for even less.

with the fact that all the LS partswill work on it it would make things alot easier to get it to work on my impala. especially if my 700R4 will bolt up to it. thats the biggest plus. id just have to worry about if my tranny will support that much power lol but i wouldnt even beat on it
when i had it in my truck. (got a 265rw 5.3 now) i upgrade with ls6 cam, milled stock heads, cai. and it def. picked up power, mpg did not change.
just pulled harder, revved faster. ran a 150 shot thru it on wot switch many times. finally removed at 285k miles still running strong. limited to 6000rpm

i came across a low miles 5.3 and dropped that in the truck with 5.7 ls1 milled heads, same cam used in 4.8
mpg is still around. 20-22mpg but have tune now. and cai. stock intake, tb, manifolds, stock gm cat. exhaust with egr, stock trans, tq converter..
all on 87oct. pump gas.

your 700r4 will bolt up and u can use stock 6.0 ls flexplate with a 700r4 tq converter.
also i have designed parts that allow use of sbc 1 wire alt. and gm power steering pump or ps delete. if have manual steering gear box.
not necessary need to use oe ls accesories. will need truck wp and crank pulley though.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Junkie

when i had it in my truck. (got a 265rw 5.3 now) i upgrade with ls6 cam, milled stock heads, cai. and it def. picked up power, mpg did not change.
just pulled harder, revved faster. ran a 150 shot thru it on wot switch many times. finally removed at 285k miles still running strong. limited to 6000rpm

i came across a low miles 5.3 and dropped that in the truck with 5.7 ls1 milled heads, same cam used in 4.8
mpg is still around. 20-22mpg but have tune now. and cai. stock intake, tb, manifolds, stock gm cat. exhaust with egr, stock trans, tq converter..
all on 87oct. pump gas.

your 700r4 will bolt up and u can use stock 6.0 ls flexplate with a 700r4 tq converter.
also i have designed parts that allow use of sbc 1 wire alt. and gm power steering pump or ps delete. if have manual steering gear box.
not necessary need to use oe ls accesories. will need truck wp and crank pulley though.
damn that sounds pretty good to me! how hard did your truck pull with the 4.8 when it was stock ? i wouldnt plan on doing to much to it at first. it would be a carbed full bolt on 4.8 PS wouldnt be a problem for me i make hydraulic lines at the shop i work for lol the 1 wire alternator would be nice. i have a relatively new 140 amp alternator that i wouldnt want to replace and im already running duel 12 inch flex-a-lites so non of that would be a problem. just the flexplate would.

do you think a 4.8 with a carb would keep the fuel economy pretty good compared to EFI ?
Old 10-24-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

sure, with a lower cfm rating carb. and even with stock cam it would pull a strong signal and not need much jet. on 87 octane.
also have the excellent ls igntion.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

sure, with a lower cfm rating carb. and even with stock cam it would pull a strong signal and not need much jet. on 87 octane.
also have the excellent ls igntion.
hm alright. what are your thoughts on the 5.3? ive read alot of comparisons that a 4.8 and a 5.3 are very similar as far as price and economy but a 5.3 makes more power...
Old 10-24-2009, 10:56 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Well, do a 5.3 if you go that route.

Hate when someone comes in the SBC/BBC section and throws everything off track with a LS swap. ***** everything up.

If that were your interest then post in the GEN III section.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

hm alright. what are your thoughts on the 5.3? ive read alot of comparisons that a 4.8 and a 5.3 are very similar as far as price and economy but a 5.3 makes more power...
they are similar, but i think the 4.8 would net the best mpg. but prolly not much better than a 5.3. when had the 4.8 it woud pull very good, acceleration was car like. pulled strong when towin boat, car on trailer, engines in back. etc.
if u can find 5.3 for same price as 4.8, it would be good choice.
they can even take lot of psi. few ppl have made up to 700rw on fortified stock bottom end and oe heads.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hate when someone comes in the SBC/BBC section and throws everything off track with a LS swap. ***** everything up.

yea, i kinda
Old 10-26-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

sorry about the direction of the post. i wasnt intending to do an gen III swap but if i can net such gas mileage and power for alittle more money i might just do that. for the meantime then i might just stick a 1 barrel carb on my lonely 267 to try and squeeze the most out of it as possible. unless i can somehow manage to get 30 mpg out of my 267 then ill just keep it haha to bad that is probably near impossible