Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

SBC 305 Crank Snout Threads

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 01:05 AM
...with cheese.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SBC 305 Crank Snout Threads

I rebuilt a 305 out of an 84 C10 for a guy and I'm having some issues with weak balancer bolt threads. I installed the balancer with a proper installer. I chased the 7/16x20 threads with a tap before I put the bolt in. I was able to bottom the tap out by spinning it with my fingers, no force was used. Then I go to try and torque the bolt down to spec and it's just walking the threads in the snout.

7/16x20 seems like kind of a small bolt for what they're asking for torque wise. For those that might be wondering, I was barely able to get it past 15ftlb approx before the threads failed. By no means did I over torque it.

So my question to you would be... do you think I should heli-coil it back to 7/16x20 or open it up to 1/2x20 and use a big block bolt?

Something else I noticed was there seems to be a lot of extra thread in the snout that the bolt isn't using. I wonder if I could get a bolt about 3/4" longer to utilize the rear most threads.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Helicoil will make the threads stronger. You would have to do some measuring if you wanted to go with a longer bolt. I wouldn't recommend going to a 1/2 inch bolt.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:41 AM
...with cheese.

Thanks for the reply, I'll probably end up with a coil in it. I curious though, why would you recommend not using a 1/2" bolt?
Old 12-22-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

let's say some one else needed to work on it and didn't know it had been changed to a bigger one. plus the BBC snout is bigger to hold a bigger bolt.

Other than that, I don't know, haha.

Never was a fan of over size bolts being where they don't belong.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:13 PM
...with cheese.

I talked to my machinist today and he recommended going 1/2". We weighed the different options and decided it'd be better to open it up to the next size rather than put a coil in it. From a mechanical standpoint I'd be more worried about a coil holding the amount of torque required by these bolts than the hole being a little bigger. It's still fine thread, it's just the next size up.

Thanks again for your input though.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

No problem, never hurts to ask.

Quick Reply: SBC 305 Crank Snout Threads