Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Fuel pump set up for L29

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel pump set up for L29

Hey all, kinda new here and I have a few questions about a fuel injected swap that I'm about to attempt.
I have a 1963 Chevy K15 that currently has a carburated 396 with a T400. I am trying to swap a 1997 454 (L29) into it while retaining the FI. I want to get as much of the parts together beforehand as I can to minimize down time. So far I have the wiring harness and computer figured out. I picked up a 1991 Blazer tank (which I belive is vented and is set up with the return line fitting). It also has the in tank pump which I don't think will provide the proper pressure for the FI to work. My questions are as follows; should I use the in tank pump as a sort of lift pump that feeds an inline high pressure pump or is there an in tank pump that can be retrofitted in? The truck is mainly used for towing with no mods that would warrant more flow than stock so I don't think I really need other than a reliable pump set up. Also do I need to run a regulator or does the engine have one already. Is the regulator only for aftermarket pumps? Sorry for the long post but I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find the right info or I have found it and just don't understand it. Thanks for any advice. Chris