Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

HSR intake for sbc carburated 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HSR intake for sbc carburated 350

All the plug and play kits go for $2600 and up but I remember reading somewhere you could purchase a used computer and harness off a efi car like a TPI or even an LT1 , and then find a used throttle body , used fuel injectors and just buy the HSR intake and fuel rail kit and hook up the computer then tune it . I read this was a cheaper way to turn a carbureted 350 sbc engine to efi . Anybody done this or know how to do this ? Any help would be appreciated .
Old 02-18-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wink

Yeah you can do it that way to make it work, but I think the computer that comes with the expensive HSR kit is tunable with the software that Holley gives you. When getting a computer from a TPI car it is not as tuner friendly. You have to get chips burned for it to tune the computer. I got a custom chip from TPIS for my cousin's H/c stealthram 92 z28 and it was 550.00 bucks for just a chip.

The problem I ran into when installing the HSR is the injectors. The factory injectors don't allow the fuel rail the go down enough to bolt to the intake. I ended up purchasing Holley injectors and they went in fine. I did a stealth ram for a friend of mine and we ended up grinding the shoulder on the injector to let it go down into the intake further to bolt up.

My cousin's car is going to go down a different path soon. We are going to put on a system from EFI Connection that uses an LS1 computer on a 1st gen smallblock. His car is already a Tpi car we put a stealth ram on it will be fairly easy doing this conversion. Its getting a bigger cam and bigger stall so having this will make it more tuner friendly.

Quick Reply: HSR intake for sbc carburated 350