Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

305 with Holley 4160

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 305 with Holley 4160

Let me throw this out there to see if anybody has suffered from this and been able to figure out and fix it. I own a Model A with a 305 in it from an 87 Firebird. I did not build this motor, but my late father did. It has a Hollet 4160 carb on it. The carb needed to be rebuilt which I did myself...pretty straight forward. When I drive it, it runs great. I noticed that after I park and shut it down, I would start to get an odor of fuel after a short time. Long and short, when the engine is hot and off, I can see fuel from what looks like the shaft that has the secondary butterflies on it, and it slowly leaks on to the manifold.

I double double checked that all was tight and all gaskets were accounted for and on correctly. Today I put the carb body on a new bottom plate, and same result....acts fine as it runs but shut it off and fuel is leaking from the same place.

Any ideas and/or suggestions?

(No $ for a new carb)
Old 05-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd check the float level and the fuel pressure (electric pump?). I had the float set too high on the secondaries of my 3310 Holley and it dribbled out of the boosters and some did come out of the throttle shaft (with the engine shut off).
Old 05-03-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The float levels are good, that was the first thing I checked. It is an electric pump, have not checked that yet, need to get a gauge.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are only a few ways that fuel can get out of the bowel when there is no vacuum to draw it out. Leaking gaskets (maybe the one around the power valve?) or pressure in the bowel to push it out. Is the elctric pump a low pressure one for a carb or a high pressure fuel injection pump. If it is high pressure, what regulator do you have on it?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:34 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

It would not run at all if it was a EFI pump without a return style regulator, only thing i can think of is if the secondaries are till leaking for me is the needle and seat might need to be changed.

Quick Reply: 305 with Holley 4160