Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

starting problems please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default starting problems please help

I have a 330 deluxe GMPP Crate motor in my jeep, it run starts and runs good most of the time however the exhuast is ran under the starter and with the block hugger headers it seems like it is very close to the starter. The problem I am happening occurs after I start it and run it for a while, once it gets up to temperature and then when I shut it off and go to start it again (ussually after it sits for a little bit of time) it will not start. I turn the key and nothing happens. The battery is a Optima Red Top about 1 yr old and it ussually is showing around 12 or 12.5 volts when problem occurs. The starter does not try to start at all, if you jump across the starter it will free spin but does not engage the starter. However I have found that if you jump start it, it will start. The battery does not seem to be the problem since it is starting fine when I first go out to it and the engine is cold, (it is not starting slow, lights are not dim or anything like that making me believe that its not battery). The starter only has 3000 miles on it but I am thinking that the heat distroyed it, now I have some heat wrap around the soleniod but it either is not enough, already ruined or this is not the problem.

What I am thinking is that the heat is getting to the starter soleniod and causing to much resistance to start, with the other battery jump starting it can overcome this and will start right up. Does this seem like that is the problem? Any other questions pointer will be appreciated.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does that sound like it would be the problem or does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?
Old 05-09-2010, 11:52 PM
Launching!

Default Hot Soak Problem

Your solenoid is the problem. Many performance cars such as Corvettes and ram air Pontiacs came from the factory with an aluminum or stainless steel heat shield over the solenoid to alleviate the problem.

I would also try a different solenoid as well as adding a sheild.

There is also a kit available that uses a remote mounted relay resembling a Ford relay to provide more current to the coil side of your solenoid. I think I saw one available from Summit Racing.

John
Old 05-10-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright thanks, I got one of the starter heat sheilds now, that I will put on when I work on it again. I have some down pipe heat shield on it right at the moment trying to protect it however I think that it has already been damaged.

Quick Reply: starting problems please help