Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Would I be stupid not to?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would I be stupid not to?

So I have been given what seems like a great opportunity but because I don't know all the details I'm unsure if I should take this on. But first, my current situation. I'm a full time college student, make little money...like save roughly 2,000 in 6 months little money. I want to go fast bad, have for the last 3 or 4 for summers but the funds have never been there. Now my dad has offered to give me his 90 rs roller along with a 350 that only needs headers and torque convertor to be complete. I know dropping a 350 in this car will not make it fast, I anticipate 14's at best. But the idea of a 383 really interests me. I have found stroker kits, specifically this one, and am curious if buying a kit like this one from cnc motorsports is a good idea, or is it better to piece together one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SB-Ch...item588580ade6.

So my question is, would it be dumb of me to pass up on this? I'm looking for something that can run 11's on motor and in the future maybe 10's on the bottle. I don't have a lot of money to throw at this, but considering the car is already in my family it doesn't need to get done right away. Is a solid 383 something that could be put together for 2-3k and run well assuming I already have the motor and car?
Old 06-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are way off on your money estimate...and what a basic 350 can do. For reference, there is at least $5000 in my stock shortblock 350 (1990 IROC). Probably $10k into the whole car (suspension, trans, exhaust, etc.). It runs 11.60's on pump gas. I looked into just stroking the block I have...only rotating assembly and boring the block, keep everything else. That would cost me about $2000. You can reach your goals, but not for $2-$3K. I would keep the car, use the 350 and work on the transmission and suspension. When that gets old, tear into the engine.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:29 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Exactly, a 383 is an option for a engine that doesnt need to be built yet, or NOT on a budget so you can spare funds elsewhere.