Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

falling flat on it's face

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default falling flat on it's face

well i just changed the fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor on my 87 POS 305 5.0 4 bbl and now the car is falling on it's face when i go to give it gas in any gear (manual) my buddy checked the timing with a timing light and he retarded the timing a bit, would retarding the timing too much cause this? i've checked the firing order 3 times and it's correct, checked vacuum lines and i checked the wires to make sure they're all on, tomorrow i'll check the wires again and the plugs to make sure all the plugs are screwed in all the way on his side. #7 plug is close to the 02 sensor and i'm wondering if he knocked it loose. i'm really at a loss as to why the car is doin this when we put brand new stuff on

Last edited by King Nothing; 07-21-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel, air, spark. Looks like you've got spark nailed.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Veteran

it's more so of stumbling when it give it gas, even with the clutch a bit in before i let it out. once i let it out it still stumbles like hell
Old 07-21-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Fuel, air, spark. Looks like you've got spark nailed.
all those things are brand new

would a small kink in the gas line be the culprit you think? my buddy kinked it a bit and said that the line was already kinked before he kinked but he made it better according to him
Old 07-21-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check fuel pressure? Fuel pump? I don't know **** about these cars, but back in the day, I think would have swapped someone carbs to rule it out. Haven't had a carb since I was 18 and that was 11 years ago.

Someone with more knowledge might chime in. Surprised they haven't.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked the accelerator pump on the carb?
Old 07-21-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Veteran

where is that located at? i don't know **** about carbs the fuel line leading to the filter has a little bend in it from my buddy and i'm wondering if that's doin this cause i've tried advancing the timing and all that happens is the car gurgled and died so i'm thinkin it's the fuel line. the fuel pump was replaced according to the previous owner
Old 07-22-2010, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the air cleaner so you can see down inside the carb. Now stroke the throttle linkage to WOT, you should see at least 2 streams of raw gas being squirted down there. If you have a double pumper, then you should see 4 streams. If you don't see any, you've found the problem, and the carb needs to be rebuilt.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Pull the air cleaner so you can see down inside the carb. Now stroke the throttle linkage to WOT, you should see at least 2 streams of raw gas being squirted down there. If you have a double pumper, then you should see 4 streams. If you don't see any, you've found the problem, and the carb needs to be rebuilt.
That.

But also look into that kinked fuel line also, thats not good.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

There should be enough fuel in the carb to make it at least 1/2 way thru first gear. I would say that the carb needs rebuilding, but to go on and say fix the fuel line also. I would run about 12-14 initial timing on it. Around 30 total. You might also have valve springs going bad, most likely caused by over revving it.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Absolutely right the float bowls should have enough fuel for the engine to make power until it is sucked dry. You could use a vaccum gauge to try and detect a valve spring issue as well. Even if the accelerator pumps arent working once it starts trying to rev the main jets should take over and fuel the car themselves.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:57 AM
TECH Veteran

fixed the fuel line and that fixed it!!!! until something on the side of the carb started to leak and the engine would barely hold idle, my buddy has a brand new one he bought several years ago but isn't using it at all so he said he'll put it on my car on friday . . . i thought my car was a pain but wow i was wrong
Old 07-29-2010, 07:50 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Man, i love my carbs, but the stock POS quadrajets are crap after they get old and fall out of tune. Holley is the way to go, if it was a holley, you can rebuild it for 40$ and make it better, allot better, but if it is the small one, and i am sure it is, then get a 650 vacuum secondary and it can be tuned out great, the secondaries would nto open very often as a 650 is on the large side for a 305 but there is always room for a 350 to grown with a carb like that.

Quick Reply: falling flat on it's face