Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

planning a 305 build

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default planning a 305 build

Hello everyone. Got a little something I want to throw out and get some feedback on.

I have plans to do a engine swap into a Tracker. Yes, its been done before, and while there are pics here and there, I havent found much documentation on what the builder dealt with.... so, I'm planning to go-it-alone on this project.

I've got a '98 Tracker 2wd that has gone through 2 engines. i'd rather put something a little more interesting in it. SBC was the obvious choice simply because the parts are cheaper, more plentiful and reliability is pretty good. To say simple, I have a source for a complete car to get the 305 and 700R4 out of for the swap. Its a TBI engine, but i'm thinking of just going with carb setup on it... and to add to the kick, i'd like to change out the cam. the owner says that it already has an aftermarket cam in it, but he doesnt know anything about it. its been a good while since i've heard the car run, and while it certainly did sound non-stock... if the guy cant come up with the cam info, i'd like to replace it so i know where i'm starting...

there-in lies my question.
while i'm not a total idiot, i'm a bit fuzzy on the cam #s that actually work with a streetable and lightly modded 305. i dont want to go with a 350. if i can get the engine putting out oem numbers, then i'll be plenty satisfied. the engine is out of a '88 firebird, so roughly 175/255 IIRC from verious websites. essentially, i'd be almost cutting lb/hp numbers in half and almost tripling the torque numbers.... and in that little short wheelbase rig, thats enough. What I want to avoid is anything stupid that is actually going to take power away from the engine needlessly just because i'm trying to be cool or something. i want it to be reliable, have a bit of a lope or thump to it... and put most of the power out from 1500-4000 rpm. the stock axle wont last behind it and its 4.56 geared anyway, which is way too low, so a new axle will be installed. maybe not immediately... but its gonna happen.

Anything you guys can educate me on... what you've tried that has or has not worked especially, i'd appreciate. greatly.

I'll give you background.
I grew up working on cars with my dad. i've rebuilt several engines. all were rebuilt basically "to stock". not really modding. the only one i did with mods was a '90 tracker with a Calmini cam and header. i've rebuilt two 350's, but that was years ago. helped with a 351w, two Dodge 2.2 engines, a Nissan 1.8, 2 MGB 1800 engines... rebuilt a TH350 auto... and i converted a 2wd Jeep Grand Cherokee to 4wd... so I can turn the wrench, read a shop manual and pretty much bleed all over the place.

so. where to begin?
Old 03-14-2011, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start by popping the valve covers and checking what casting numbers the heads have. You're looking for 8-digit numbers, but we're only interested in the last 3 numbers. If you find anything other than 081, then forget any speed mods with those swirl-port heads. If it does have 081s, they've been swapped, since TBI 305s never came with them. Only the 230 HP TPI 5-speed F-cars. 081s are the best of the 305 heads.
If you don't find 081s, then get some 416s. If your 305 has dished pistons, then get the 416s milled 0.030", and use FelPro steel-shim head gaskets.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Teching In

so, the 081 are 305 specific, right?
Old 04-16-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default 305 for sale

looking for a 305 already done? ive got a 305 with 416 heads hand ported and polished, flat top pistons, edelbrock performer manifold, edelbrock performer carb 650 cfm, lutani cam (dont remember the specs but could get them if interested), valve springs done, head studs installed. broke the engine in then drove it in my s15 for about 50 miles and the stock 700r4 gave out so i parked it for the winter. now i have a lq4 and 4l80 going in the pickup so i dont need the engine here. it comes ready to run with msd 6al ignition and gm hei distributor. runs really good but id rather have the lq4. shoot me a offer if your interested. ive got pics of the build plus a video of it running. the motor was supposed to be just a cheap build that turned spendy the more i did. nobody in my area wants it because its a 305 and not a 350(dirt track racers). ive got a extra set of stainless valves and 416 marine heads that would go with it too.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Launching!

TBI heads are the WORSE heads. You can't help them no matter what you do. Look for LB9 heads(081)plentiful as I even have some lying around ported.
The factory rating was 170hp and 255ft/lbs for the L03 engines. I had a 88 Bird with the L03, threw a bunch of speed parts at it and learned about the crappy heads to late as I was a overly hyped up junior in High school.
I have an 85 Iroc-Z w/an LB9(305tpi)and love it. Sure it is lacking in the HP department but it is fun.
Looking into it further, are you going to keep it computer controlled? I may have missed this but my laptop is stupid today. If so I really like the Comp Computer cams, been good to me. If not, for a great price Summit has some nice roller cams non computer controlled for cheap.

Quick Reply: planning a 305 build