Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Crossfire vette

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire vette

So i have a trade offer on my grand prix for a 84 Crossfire vette with the 4+3 transmission. Iv been searching around but i cant really find any solid answers on it, But I want to know what the blocks are like on the l84, i read somewhere they have forged pistons? And im also wondering if the heads are iron or aluminum..

Then i want to know what my best option is for losing the crossfire injection, I honestly have no experience with carbs and i dont know how the carb and the digital dash work together, But im willing to learn if it gets me to my goals for the cheapest price. I was also looking at the Tpi swaps, seems completely possible but I dont know how much a full tpi swap setup is selling for or how to make the tpi not suck past 5500 rpms .

Any input? the car is clean and 100% stock and I want to know if its even worth it on my end, Grand prix is a 97 GTP with 158k miles in good condition.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like you have some quick cars already. Why start over? If your looking for a Vette, I would try and find a newer one. LT1 at least. OR maybe a TPI if that's what you want. But I don't think it's worth it for you.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

You would be better off moving to a TPI setup as the carb one will cause some problems. Considering that 1 year later you had the TPI motor and in 1992, the LT1 came out, you have easy swap options. Keep in mind that the 1992 - 1996 cars with the LT1 had a different interior and electronics package.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Stocker94z
It looks like you have some quick cars already. Why start over? If your looking for a Vette, I would try and find a newer one. LT1 at least. OR maybe a TPI if that's what you want. But I don't think it's worth it for you.
I only have the trans am now and the grand prix, im not looking for a vette this just happend to show up as a trade offer, and I decided to seriously think about it because its a corvette none the less, It is a manual car witch I have been wanting again. And as said, down the line the LT1 was put into the C4's and I dont think it would be to hard to do a swap if im really looking for some more power.

My idea with this car would be around 300whp and daily drive able, but I don't need to go anywhere everyday.

Pretty much the Grand prix is fun, but its FWD, Automatic and doesnt really respond well to mods and the transmission is weak if you start adding to much too it.

Soo yeah, RWD, Standard, corvette is whats standing out. I just want to be sure I can make the vette the way I want it. I think TPI would be the best option for now assuming i get it, So any input on pricing on TPI swap parts?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

84 is a first year car and known for electrical problems as well. I know back in the day cross fire was not to reliable either even though you want to swap a carb on it. I would pass on it and get a slightly newer one
Old 06-15-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Same here I wouldn't touch it witha 10ft pole

Keep the Grand Prix wait for something newer.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one, just run away.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Im the only one for CFI. Its not carb, its dual TBI actually and was the precursor to the TPI. Even the wiring harness is almost identical. In stock form they aren't impressive, but there is an aftermarkt company that introduced a new intake manifold and it yeilded very impressive gains by simply swapping it out on a stock motor. 1 FULL SECOND 1/4 mile times. It made it on par with the later L98 cars.

I also think its pretty impressive when I see them at car shows. They don't get much respect so people swap them out for Carb or TPI, so seeing a good running well taken care of/ restored CFI under the hood, its really cool. Not only that, they have an engine cover that people custom paint and it looks pretty slick when done up right.

Its a piece of SBC history, have fun if you get it and post pics. Also visit Thirdgen.org. They have a section for TBI/crossfire and links to Vette CFI pages Im sure. But check out that intake Im talking about before you make a decision. It just may sway you.

Good luck!
Old 06-15-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SR_94Blackbird
Im the only one for CFI. Its not carb, its dual TBI actually and was the precursor to the TPI. Even the wiring harness is almost identical. In stock form they aren't impressive, but there is an aftermarkt company that introduced a new intake manifold and it yeilded very impressive gains by simply swapping it out on a stock motor. 1 FULL SECOND 1/4 mile times. It made it on par with the later L98 cars.

I also think its pretty impressive when I see them at car shows. They don't get much respect so people swap them out for Carb or TPI, so seeing a good running well taken care of/ restored CFI under the hood, its really cool. Not only that, they have an engine cover that people custom paint and it looks pretty slick when done up right.

Its a piece of SBC history, have fun if you get it and post pics. Also visit Thirdgen.org. They have a section for TBI/crossfire and links to Vette CFI pages Im sure. But check out that intake Im talking about before you make a decision. It just may sway you.

Good luck!
Renegade? (spelling) I heard they have a pretty long wait time because they are made by order. To be honest though, If i was to do the trade i would miss the supercharger on the grand prix, And i dont think it would be possible to ever do some forced induction on a crossfire because of the intake setup witch is what had me thinking i could do a TPI swap.

im still thinking about it, it would be nice for a chance and iv always loved C4 digital dash. But it is going to be slower then the grand prix. But probably be more fun to just cruise in a vette then a grand prix lol.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Teching In

I loved my GTPs. Fun cars. Great gas mileage, lots of torque and power, haul 5 full grown people comfortably, HUUUUUUGE trunk space. And they were good looking too! Well the 97-03s anyway.

What do you have done to yours? At my 97 GTPs most modded I had a fenderwell intake, 1.9 rockers, A very custom DHP with happy ****, 3.25 pulley, TOGs, resonator removed, flowmaster mufflers, 17" Eagle 077s, Progress 2" drop springs and KYB GR2 struts. I wrapped it around a telephone pole one rainy January night in 2005. Never ran it at the track all done up, but I felt a high 12 was possible with drag radials.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Mine is CAI, Tune, colder plugs and bigger wires. So not really much done and its fun dont get me wrong. But after a 3.4 pully and headers theres not much i can do to the car without spending alot of money on a built transmission, intercooler, cam ect ect.

But with this vette, I see it as.. A Small block chevy with lots of options, And its also possible to do a LT1 swap or even a LS1 swap into the vette, where the Grand prix is a FWD car and its end of the line there.

I been doing alot of research on the vette, it seems to me like a TPI swap with megasquirt would really fit my needs and isnt very costly. TPI setup can be had for around $200 used then i just need to do the wiring.

One thing I really like about this year of the vettes is the digital dash, I want to keep it how ever if i was to convert over to a higher reveing setup like the TPI I dont know how the dash would work.

Right now im thinking if i can plan out this vette, as in keep the dash working get swapped over to a better fuel injection system to fit my needs i could be much happyer with the vette, I dont have a family to haul around and I am a fan of the C4 body style.

On the other hand, my grand prix runs great and isnt going to let me down, So im always worried about getting scammed again like my trans am was.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could do this:..I did it to my 91 before I decided to go LSx.. I have seen it done on a crossfire. With a hood scoop there is no need to cut it down.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...r-hsr-mod.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTBKN...layer_embedded

Old 06-16-2011, 01:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jay7199
But after a 3.4 pully and headers theres not much i can do to the car without spending alot of money on a built transmission, intercooler, cam ect ect.
1.9 rockers are a very cheap, very impressive gain for $200. What do you need a built trans and I/C for? The stock trans can take a good beating. In the 3+ years I had my GTP, I never had an issue with it. Nor did my bro or all of the AZGTPers. As for an I/C, we never bothered with them even here in AZ. With all those mods I had, I had a blip of .3* of KR on 120* day with AC on. My brother used ALky injection in his and liked it alot. He didn't tune it either.

Just saying, Clubgp.com is full of overprotective little tools now. Back in the day, we went much faster for less.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Trust me keep the GTP. If you want to get a vette get at least a TPI vette and make sure you get an 87 and up vette. IIRC the 87's and up had the aluminum L98 heads instead of the heavy iron heads.

I had a friend drop in a zz4 crate motor in his 91tpi vette and on street tires that car ran 12.70's on drag radials it ran 12.50's. Still had the vette exhaust manifolds and TPI setup. It ran on a Hypertech stage 2 chip.

That crossfire vette isnt just worth the time. Just think, you might end up spending more time fixing it than driving it. Plus, those 4+3 trans might not have a big aftermarket for them if you break it. If there is I bet the prices are high as giraffe ***** for parts.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

Figured i would update this thread, well based on mixed reviews I went too see the vette.

I came home with the vette and $200 in my pocket, Turns out the vette is a z51 it was in fair condition I got it home took the buffer to it, put a fuel pump in it and fixed a missfire.

And i have to say this is one of my favorite cars i have owned its slow yes but it handles great, I just really really like this car.

heres a pic, For now ill keep the crossfire setup and when i save up some money im going to do either a TPI setup or a stealthram setup with a small vortech blower.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ditch the 4+3 there impossible to find parts for and get rebuilt. If you really want to make that car alot of fun go with a T56 and a ls1 swap you can buy the kit to do it with
Old 06-30-2011, 12:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

however a TPI setup will give it a little more power. My 82 was crossfire before the ls swap and those things are hard to keep in sync with each other, the rods bend and get loose and one TB will wind up not being as open as the other. im sure it was nice new, but I was glad to get rid of mine
Old 06-30-2011, 01:06 AM
TECH Resident

I will swap the 4+3 out for a 5speed when the clutch goes or i lose a gear.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

i would keep it as is.. if it is already a solid driving car..
Old 07-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Launching!

very nice vette clean in my opnion make the best out the vette keep the crossfire and some bolt ons and take care of it it one a kind

Quick Reply: Crossfire vette