Go Back   LS1TECH > SBC-BBC-LT1-LT4 PERFORMANCE > Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

406 stroker vs 421 stroker

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
On The Tree
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 131
Cool 406 stroker vs 421 stroker

I have a 4,244-4,314 lb chevy caprice with a stock sbc 400 in it. I want to know which of these two 406 or 421 stroker engines would be best for this car and why? The car will be a dd/street rod.
dkcoleman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
TECH Fanatic
 
93Z2871805's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 5
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkcoleman01 View Post
I have a 4,244-4,314 lb chevy caprice with a stock sbc 400 in it. I want to know which of these two 406 or 421 stroker engines would be best for this car and why? The car will be a dd/street rod.
Wallet friendly too, or just better? The 421 would have more torque down low to move a heavy car, and would be able to keep better street manners with the same amount of cam as the 406. How high of a stall/gears do you plan on running? Have you also considered a 434?
__________________
Black 93 Z28 - LQ9-LS3 H/C/TH400/M9 In Progress
Torrid Red 04 GTO - CAI / Cat-back
Lime Green 93 Z28 - Forged 383 LT1 - See You Later Old Friend
Black 68 Camaro - 468 BBC, TH400, Tubbed, 4 3/4 in Cowl - Gone..
93 Z28 -> 6.0 Conversion
=(X)=N.K.A.W.T.G....N!=(X)=
93Z2871805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
On The Tree
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 131
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Z2871805 View Post
Wallet friendly too, or just better? The 421 would have more torque down low to move a heavy car, and would be able to keep better street manners with the same amount of cam as the 406. How high of a stall/gears do you plan on running? Have you also considered a 434?
It really don't matter about the wallet, Which is Better? I haven't thought about a 434, and the gears are 373s and stall I guess about 2800 to 3000 somewhere around that. I want be able to run pump gas though.
dkcoleman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
TECH Fanatic
 
93Z2871805's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 5
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkcoleman01 View Post
It really don't matter about the wallet, Which is Better? I haven't thought about a 434, and the gears are 373s and stall I guess about 2800 to 3000 somewhere around that. I want be able to run pump gas though.
I'd go for the larger cubes, consider the 434. It's easier to make streetable power from the larger motor, and a heavy car would benefit from the lower RPM power band.
__________________
Black 93 Z28 - LQ9-LS3 H/C/TH400/M9 In Progress
Torrid Red 04 GTO - CAI / Cat-back
Lime Green 93 Z28 - Forged 383 LT1 - See You Later Old Friend
Black 68 Camaro - 468 BBC, TH400, Tubbed, 4 3/4 in Cowl - Gone..
93 Z28 -> 6.0 Conversion
=(X)=N.K.A.W.T.G....N!=(X)=
93Z2871805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:23 PM   #5
Staging Lane
 
flyin's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 4
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 89
Default

the biggest arm I'd ever put in a stock 400 block would be a 3.875 which is your 421.
flyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
On The Tree
 
CNC BLOCKS N/E's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NORTHEAST
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin View Post
the biggest arm I'd ever put in a stock 400 block would be a 3.875 which is your 421.
X2 That would be any standard cam tunnel and standard pan rail block, Trying to get a 4.000 arm in a stock block you end up with a cam that looks like a pencil and lifters hate small base cirlce cams.

The 421's we have been building we have been able to use a cam with a 1.000 base cirlce and even at that we go tot the .903 lifters with the bigger wheel, bigger axel and bigger body it makes for more durable lifter over an .842 lifter.
__________________
With out factual data your just another guy with an opinion!!!
CNC BLOCKS N/E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
TECH Fanatic
 
93Z2871805's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 5
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS N/E View Post
X2 That would be any standard cam tunnel and standard pan rail block, Trying to get a 4.000 arm in a stock block you end up with a cam that looks like a pencil and lifters hate small base cirlce cams.

The 421's we have been building we have been able to use a cam with a 1.000 base cirlce and even at that we go tot the .903 lifters with the bigger wheel, bigger axel and bigger body it makes for more durable lifter over an .842 lifter.
Good point. What size rods are you guys using in the 421's?
__________________
Black 93 Z28 - LQ9-LS3 H/C/TH400/M9 In Progress
Torrid Red 04 GTO - CAI / Cat-back
Lime Green 93 Z28 - Forged 383 LT1 - See You Later Old Friend
Black 68 Camaro - 468 BBC, TH400, Tubbed, 4 3/4 in Cowl - Gone..
93 Z28 -> 6.0 Conversion
=(X)=N.K.A.W.T.G....N!=(X)=
93Z2871805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:56 AM   #8
On The Tree
 
CNC BLOCKS N/E's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NORTHEAST
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Z2871805 View Post
Good point. What size rods are you guys using in the 421's?
We are using a 2.100 jounal.
__________________
With out factual data your just another guy with an opinion!!!
CNC BLOCKS N/E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
TECH Veteran
 
87silverbullet's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 11
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Slidell,LA
Posts: 4,868
Default

Good torque can still be made from a 406 and it will be easier to get the 3.750 stroke in the block. I'll have to get the dyno sheets from my 406 and show the torque that it made. It really surprised me on the torque it made.
__________________
87silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
9 Second Club
 
tektrans's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 23
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,378
Default

If the wallet doesnt matter why not just get a little M or an SHP block and go with bigger cubes?
__________________

'98 Trans Am WS6 Cartek N/A (L92/LS7) Hydraulic roller 441 ci.
9.59 @ 138 1.30 60' - Best 60' 1.29 (new setup in the works)
video of 9.6x passes http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KVdBZk5Y3s4
**check out my TA in the Aug '09 issue of GMHTP magazine**
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ws6/index.html
tektrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
TECH Resident
 
Big Al's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektrans View Post
If the wallet doesnt matter why not just get a little M or an SHP block and go with bigger cubes?
Or put a big block in it. Big inch small blocks are head restricted.

http://www.sonnysracingengines.com/e...p-new-for-2011

That one should do it

Al 95 Z28
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:24 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
421 stroker? FormulaV8A4 LT1-LT4 Modifications 47 02-15-2013 11:30 AM
which sounds better lt4388stroker LT1-LT4 Modifications 5 10-05-2012 10:01 AM
WTT/WTS 30th Anniversary 97 Z28 LS1 EFI H/C/I/Nos 383 stroker 608RWHP/595RWTQ lt4388stroker Vehicle Classifieds 50 06-16-2012 04:04 PM
What is the biggest possible displacement on a stock lt1 block??? hannes_slanec LT1-LT4 Modifications 9 12-19-2009 11:20 AM
421 vs lq4 novaflash2002 Generation IV Internal Engine 7 08-07-2009 11:34 AM


Tags
383, 400, 406, 421, 434, 500hp, block, chevy, engine, lq9, or421, small, street, stroker, whats


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



Join Ls1Tech

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details