Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

waken up a 350 and adding nitrous

Old 08-28-2012, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waken up a 350 and adding nitrous

Im fixing to pull the 350 out of my truck and port the heads and add a nice cam. Im thinking of adding a shot of nitrous, but not sure what it can handle or even how to tune it.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:20 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

A kit will come with directions, The provided pills will have a set power level.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually with nitrous you aim to tune the motor as optimal as possible on fuel alone first. This helps to balance air-fuel ratios and help deter detonation. Nitrous does nothing but benefit an already tuned motor.

Usually with nitrous you slightly lean a motor out by jetting the carb correctly with the recommended jets and retard the timing to account for the increased combustion efficiency. From there it is a matter of simply tuning the motor for each individual build to find the sweet spot.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat's ss
Im fixing to pull the 350 out of my truck and port the heads and add a nice cam. Im thinking of adding a shot of nitrous, but not sure what it can handle or even how to tune it.

This is really too general of a question.

I would suggest going to www.thirdgen.org and do LOTS of reading. You will learn much more than here. Nitrous is safe if you know how to tune it.

I will start with some basics.

Decide on how big of shot of dope you want to run. Also figure in it won't be enough and you will want to go faster.

Build your bottom end accordingly especially your pistons.

Make sure you gap your rings correctly for nitrous. This is especially important if you run Keith Black pistons.

Unless you run some sort of digital timing box you will have to manually retard the timing when you spray. A general rule of thumb is retard 2 degrees for every 50hp.

Make sure you select the correct spark plugs.

Get a WB and learn how to read spark plugs if you get serious.

Make sure your fuel system is up to the task of adding the extra fuel or run a separate dedicated line for the fuel solenoid.

Nitrous has a bad rap because people just throw it on their cars and wonder why it blows up.

Best of luck.

J

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: waken up a 350 and adding nitrous