Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Engine help needed PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine help needed PLEASE

This thing has been giving me problems for months now I have tried everything I can think of and still cant get the car to start up.

I checked every wire to this car from under dash to engine to distributor etc all wires are installed and hooked up correctly. I have an hei dizzy on the chevy 350 and its getting the 12v it should. I get gas and spark. The car will crank and crank but just wont fire up. Sometimes it backfires through the carb.

I was thinking the dizzy is 180 out because I replaced the coil and igniton module so I know this is not the problem also cap and rotor are practically new also.

back to the the dizzy being 180 out. I pulled the #1 plug removed the dizzy and set the car to TDC correct me if I'm wrong but its suppose to be set TDC on compression stroke correct? When the piston is at the very top near the plug. If so this has been set correctly and the dizzy dropped back in and pointing at the 530clock position close to #1. Still nothing. Unless the previous owner did something with the crank and timing chain that I dont know about im stumped.

Any help? I dont know exact numbers but the 350 is running a holley 770 carb edel heads, big cam, was set if for NOS but all that has been removed and returned back to stock.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, compression stroke. Pull the #1 plug out again, hold your finger over the plug hole and spin the engine over. When it blows your finger out of the hole, bump it over until you get your timing mark lined up. This should be #1. The piston is at the top of the cylinder twice, once for compression and once for exhaust.

Does it backfire thru the carb or exhaust?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Through the carb
Old 11-20-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, it's probably 180 out.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If that doesn't work, pull the timing cover and check cam timing. The timing set could be 180 out.

Quick Reply: Engine help needed PLEASE