Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

SBC into 95 lt1 Firebird ** video added 12/19/13**

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ZONES89RS: Thanks man, I looked at all the pictures of the swap that you did for a long time before I started my swap, Your thread has been very very helpful on making my swap go very smooth so far... so thank you again
I cant wait to get it in the car and fire it up, The initial fire will be open header just to hear it lol then I will hook the exhaust all back up once I get the tranny and all that stuff back it in.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

Picked up another part today,It is a Daytona WEGO III Wide-Band Air/Fuel Ratio (AFR) Display, I figure this way I can monitor the afr of the engine and make sure that everything is good and tune it in properly

Last edited by Rebob5; 01-05-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

Its been busy at work lately, I planned on running it last week but paying customers come first!! HAHA. Friday is finally my day, Were gonna get it on the dyno and see what it makes. I will get some video and post up the numbers when I get all done. I cant wait
Old 11-29-2013, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

Finally ran the motor today, Everything went super smooth and was a nice stress free day haha. I even got to be the throttle man and do all 6 pulls on my motor and i will admit I ran 100 different thoughts through my head hoping that I torqued everything and luckily I did HAHAHA. The motor fired up perfect, the crank trigger and timing were dead on and everything went awesome. I dont have a carb yet so we used on of there dyno 650's and it made 526 hp and 465 torque on the 5th pull, we did the first couple pulls from 3500-6000 then a few to 6,500 and then finally to 7,000 where we seen peak hp and called it good. It did everything I wanted it to and now the next step after I get all the pullys on the front of it is to drop it in the car!!! Dyno sheets and video will be coming soon. Been a awesome project so far

Last edited by Rebob5; 01-05-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

Dyno video is up, We strapped the go pro in the room and recorded the action. On the last pull the adapter slid off the end of the right side header so that is why it gets loud about halfway through the pull. Enjoy

Dyno Time - YouTube"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaruYRjwcas&feature=c4-overview&list=UUN1BqmTegD7xfVdXbo7ksSA"]Dyno Time - YouTube
Old 12-06-2013, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

motor is finally home, got all the accessories on the front of it today now I just have to go get a couple of belts for it and my next step is putting it in the car. Im hoping to have it in this weekend!!!

Last edited by Rebob5; 01-05-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Got a lot accomplished today on the car. first thing this morning I measured up my pullys for the belts that I needed so I went and got them and they fit perfect so it was on to the next step. I got the grinder out and removed some of the metal around the cowl to make sure that the distributor had enough room back there, I went off the pictures that ZONE89RS posted on his swap and it worked perfect. To make things easier I took everything off the front of the engine to make setting the motor in a little easier and it worked, The motor dropped in no problem. The next step was the ebay stainless longtube specials and I must say for the price they fit GREAT!! Then I bolted all the accessories back onto the front of the motor and snapped a few pics LOL. I plan on doing some more wiring tomorrow, mounting my new power steering reservoir and welding up some braces for the passenger side wiper arm seeing how I cut most of the metal off of it. Here are a few pics, Cant wait to fire it up

Had to take this pic, My office for the day HAHA

Where I cut to make room for the distributor

Under shot of what I cut, I have a twin pickup sb2 distributor in it and when I got the motor installed I have plenty of room!

First shot of the motor in the car, Using the ratchet strap to hold the motor level seeing how the tranny and cross member isnt supporting the back of the engine, I LOVE the way it looks in there... Should be real nice once I get it all cleaned up and neat!

Last edited by Rebob5; 01-05-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

Getting close! Waiting on my flywheel and clutch and as soon as I get the flywheel bolted on I can fire it up!

Last edited by Rebob5; 01-05-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

Got it running finally, It sounds nasty!!! Its currently got a dynomax racing muffler hanging off the y pipe just to hear what it would sound like. I still have to wait for the correct flywheel and clutch to get here so I can put the tranny and all that good stuff back in. I cant wait to finally drive it

The following users liked this post:
Vicious95Z28 (12-07-2019)
Old 12-26-2013, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

Made a bunch of progress lately, The new ram flywheel and clutch setup cam in so I installed them and went on down the line... bell housing, transmission torque arm, drive shaft (had new u-joints installed) they are all in the car. Fuel level gauge is wired, misc problems have been fixed, Im on the downhill slide now... Just have to connect the y pipe to my borla catback, and do a few other small things and it will be ready for summer!!!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

Did a few more odds and ends today... Made another brace for the alternator, It had a slight wiggle when it was running with just the single radius rod supporting the top so I added a small rod to brace it up and now it doesn't move at all. I also added a master battery shut off that is hidden in the rf wheel well, Kinda just a extra thing that I can turn off if i leave the car parked somewhere, And I can disconnect the battery when the car isnt in use... It was a spare part I had laying around so I figured why not lol. Did a little underhood cleaning, Its been getting a little dirty from sitting in the garage. Have to put the hood on pot next and see what I have for clearance and im still undecided if I want to powdercoat the valve covers black of not

Last edited by Rebob5; 01-05-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

Got a few more things done today, My fittings and braided fuel line came in so I made the new fuel line and installed it on the car. I also Got my UMI drive shaft loop, The stock tunnel brace hit on the y pipe hard so I knew I had to do something. The new piece gives me plenty of clearance and I like the fact is had a safety loop for the drive shaft. I also mad a template for a piece that will go between the radiator support and the front bumper. Im going to cut one out of .050 black aluminum tomorrow and see if it will fit under the hood. More updates to come!!

Last edited by Rebob5; 01-05-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Did some updates to the cooling system on my car. I planned on using the stock radiator in the car but while working under the hood i slipped and broke one of the small fittings off the stock radiator right under neath the overflow tube so I figured now is the time to upgrade the radiator. I got a BSC 28x19 rad with a 2" core from work and brought it home with me to see if I could make it work. With some slight modification of the stock radiator hold down surprisingly the new one fit into the car fairly easy. The next step was to mount the fans, I tossed the idea around of going with 1 single fan but had the stock setup and wanted to make it work. I went with 2 pieces of 1"x1" 90 degree angle aluminum and I riveted that to the rails on the top and bottom of the radiator and the other end to the top and bottom of the fan housing and it is rock solid. I have to get a new lower radiator hose tomorrow and then I should be able to button it all up and close another chapter in the project. Just a FYI this radiator new is only $159 and fit in the car fairly easy

New rad vs old rad

Stock fans mounted on the new rad with "minor" modifications

In the car and waiting for hoses!!

Last edited by Rebob5; 01-05-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Haven't done much to my car lately, I added a fuel pressure gauge in the a/c vent closest to the driver side window and also messed around with a air cleaner assembly. It is a 10x2 air cleaner, I made a custom offset base for it so that way the filter did not have to be modified to get it to work. Im waiting on my electric vacuum pump for my brakes and then I can mount the plastic cowling next to the windshield permanent and put the hood back on and make sure everything clears. The all I need is 2 new rear tires and I will be 100% done (for now that is... I have been looking at roll cages lately )

Last edited by Rebob5; 01-05-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice build!
Old 02-16-2014, 01:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good
Old 02-18-2014, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys!!! Its been a fun project so far. I got my electric vacuum pump mounted, wired and hooked up to the brake booster and now have breaks again haha. I also got my hood back on and my stock OEM ram air hood fir on there perfect, I had to trim a little on the inside to clear the radiator cap on my new radiator and once I did that it closed with about a 1/2 between the top of my air cleaner and the base of the hood. Now all I need is some new tires for the rear and the snow to melt and about 4 good rain storms to wash the salt off the roads and I will be ready... May cant get here soon enough!!!

Last edited by Rebob5; 01-05-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

Been awhile since ive fired it up so I went out to the garage and let it run for a little... Wanted to hear how it sounded again HAHA. This is the first clip through the complete exhaust system, I love it!!!

http://s265.photobucket.com/user/Reb...70dcc.mp4.html
Old 04-02-2014, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

Got the old girl all washed up yesterday while it was finally warm (55 degrees LOL), After 8 months in the garage it was dirty!!! HAHA. The new rear tires showed up today and Im heading to the DMV tomorrow morning to get my plates and then its test drive time

I need to turn the idle down a little still, the video makes it seem way quiter than it is in person... I can see myself getting a couple noise tickets LOL

Last edited by Rebob5; 04-02-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

sounds good!

Quick Reply: SBC into 95 lt1 Firebird ** video added 12/19/13**