Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Can you tell from which car engine came based on casting number

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you tell from which car engine came based on casting number

Hi guys.

I've been looking all over trying to identify what car my engine somes from. The only thing I know it's a small block chevy (most likely LT1). With the help from this video I finally saw where to look for the casting number:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...-location.html

The number is 1F2119306 However, no matter where I look I can't find on the net anything about this number. Is it possible to see what type of engine this is based on the casting number? Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Gunnar
Old 01-12-2013, 11:58 PM
9 Second Club

the production casting number on a sbc is located on the pad in front of the trans bellhousing and behind the drivers side cylinder head. there are no letters, just numbers. post that number here and i can find some info on your block
Old 01-13-2013, 05:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by v8sten
the production casting number on a sbc is located on the pad in front of the trans bellhousing and behind the drivers side cylinder head. there are no letters, just numbers. post that number here and i can find some info on your block
Thanks, I'll try to find this number and post it. The number I found was on the left side of the block on a pad as you describe, even if it's hard to read, I'm pretty sure it has an "F" as the second letter (might be P)
Old 02-05-2013, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The only numbers to tell exactly what car, HP ratings etc on a block are the front pad numbers in front of the passengers head. Most likely it will start with a "v".

Unfortunately, if the block has been decked, they will be gone.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bww3588
The only numbers to tell exactly what car, HP ratings etc on a block are the front pad numbers in front of the passengers head. Most likely it will start with a "v".

Unfortunately, if the block has been decked, they will be gone.
Yep and the last the three letters are usually the suffix code that tells the story , the rest are production date and time...

Quick Reply: Can you tell from which car engine came based on casting number