Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Beware of Morbid Speed Shop!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware of Morbid Speed Shop!!!!!

I just wanted to let everyone know that this company who advertises on Craigslist has almost ripped me off for thousands of dollars. Luckily, I was able to file fraud charges with my credit card company. This guy Mason Perry with morbidspeedshop.com is a smooth talking nice sounding kid. He seems to have an answer to everything. I found an engine on Craigslist that he advertised to be selling at a loss since the other person he built it for backed out of the deal. Anyways it was basically a turnkey 383 with forged pistons and rods, flat tappet thumper cam, dual plane intake and a Holley carb that he claimed was properly jetted and set up for this particular combo from a company called SMI carburetors (Sean Murphy Induction).

When I asked for all the receipts and paperwork and a bunch of pictures, he was slow to give me info. I did get a hand written sheet supposedly from Eagle Performance Products. I also got a picture of the block with the heads off. The first picture he sent was too blurry to read the print on the top of the pistons. After several requests and several days, he sent a clearer picture. The biggest red flag in this deal was that the pistons appeared to be cast and my local engine builder was almost certain just by the picture that they were. Mason swore they were forged and said he verified with Mahle that they were.

As much as I wanted to believe this guy, I had to verify. I called Mahle and Eagle and showed them pics with the numbers on top of the pistons. John at Mahle immediately said those are NOT forged pistons and he wouldn't touch that motor. Eagle said the kit number on the sheet Mason gave me was for a cast rotating assembly and in addition, when they use Mahle pistons in their kits, they are always forged! Also, he said he fully breaks in all his engines but when he pulled the heads and took a pic of the tops of the pistons, they looked perfectly clean. The engine was most certainly not fired up.

After learning that the pistons were not what he claimed them to be, I could only assume the rest of the engine was not what he claimed it to be. Curiously, during the time that I was dealing with Mason Perry, bad reviews started popping up on Yelp and a few warnings on some of the other forums. I talked to one of the posters on Yelp and after I told him what was going on with me, he told me it sounded like deja vu. I'm sure there are others out there who have yet to post their problems with Morbid Speed Shop, but I would encourage them to do so. Hopefully we can avoid other fellow enthusiasts from getting ripped off!
Old 12-25-2013, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's worth anything , I also had a bad experience with Morbid Speed Shop! Just look up my review on yelp. Same story! Along with other people! Long story short. Bought an engine from mason perry aka morbid speed shop. Took two months and $4200. Received a text of my engine on an engine stand blown up after first breaking run. I asked for a refund and got nothing. I repeatedly asked for a receipt and magically mason went missing. No refund, no receipt, no engine. Reported fraud to my credit company. Now every time I review his company he replies with fabricated stories to fresh I his rep. He's telling other forums I received a double refund. Negative. I hope this forum admin does not erase this post because this is saving fellow Rodders from the same grief.
Shawn

Last edited by Novafan; 12-25-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Beware of Morbid Speed Shop!!!!!