Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Need Help, Aftermarket speedomoter wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need Help, Aftermarket speedomoter wiring

For my SBC swap I went with aftermarket gauges and everything is working fine except for the speedometer, It doesn't want to cooperate HAHA. I did a bunch of searching on the t-56 vss (vehicle speed sensor) and still have no luck. Originally I had the tach wired as it shows in the instructions, yellow wire to yellow wire and blue wire to purple wire on the vss and as soon as the car starts up the gauge just bounces all over the place. I read on another thread that one of the wires (doesn't matter which one) on the vss need to be grounded So i removed the purple/blue wire and hooked it to ground as as soon as the motor is running it does the same thing, Just bounces all over the place. Please help me out.... what am I missing??? Thanks

Here are the instructions it came with....

Old 01-23-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

Did some more research and stumbled across this... I think I may have the wires backwards and will try this tomorrow

VSS
Purple – speedometer signal
Green/Black - Ground
Old 02-04-2014, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

Anybody have any Ideas? I cut and spliced the green wire to ground and only have the purple wire hooked to the speedomoter and it still goes wild when I start it up. I have done alot of wiring on my car and everything is fine except for this... im stumped!!!

Quick Reply: Need Help, Aftermarket speedomoter wiring