Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

396/325 stock rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 396/325 stock rebuild

I'm going to be rebuilding my '65 396/325, which is the original motor in my '65 Impala 4 door sedan, Turbo 400, 3.36 rear. It's been almost 30 years since I did my last one and during that time a lot has changed in terms of parts availability and technology. I'm researching how to do as close to a stock rebuild as possible, while increasing mileage/performance using today's pump gas. The engine has over 100K miles, so I suspect it will need to be bored. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Charlie
Old 11-23-2014, 09:29 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If youre keeping the stock heads refresh them and spend a few bux in the bowls/short turn area/good valve job. On a cam if it were me maybe something with a slightly quicker ramp not extreme with slightly more duration and some lift to it for added tq. Whenever you hang the valves open longer youre taking in more air/fuel so mileage....
If youre conservative wiht the cam you can make more tq and not take a nosedive on mileage. Headers will be a plus, retune the Q jet curve the dist youll be a happy camper imo should move the car well and drive anywhere
(A slightly better used alum intake may not hurt)without spending a ton. Opinions will vary

Google vortecpro does a lot of these and is expert on them look him up.
Very fair on price and hits the mark every time on these BBC
Old 11-25-2014, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

396 is a closed chamber motor 325hp model. roll over the ledge leading to the quench of the head unshroud the exhaust and intake to the gasket. Beside better breathing even better burn and gas milage. When tuned right that engine doesnt even need a cat. to reduce emissions. Rebuild with forged pistons. unless your trying to keep it all original for some reason save the rods and spend the money on H beam rods.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would a stock rebuild require H beams and forged pistons?

Quick Reply: 396/325 stock rebuild