Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

350 3/4 ton g20 van dies under load

Old 07-27-2015, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 3/4 ton g20 van dies under load

Ive been working on this van for weeks now. It is a 95 3/4 ton G20 GM van. It is supposed to be the fuel injected 5.7l but one of the previous owners put a carbureted 350 in it.i have no idea what year the engine that's in it is. The problem is that is dies under a load. It will idle fine maybe serge a little bit but nothing too bad but when I put it in drive it will either die right away or raise and drop the rpms rapidly as I have the gas peddle to the floor and then die. I have replaced the o2 sensor, map sensor, replaced the cap an rotor, adjusted cap and rotor, checked the egr valve, checked the pcv valve, changed the fuel filter, made sure it was getting the right amount of fuel, checked the engine coolant temp sensor. I am at a loss im not sure what else to check or replace. please help
Old 07-27-2015, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will see how much pressure the remagulator is putting out
It prob still set up for the tbi
I have a slack tube manometer that I got at a yard sale when I was a kid ... Best yards sale find I have scored until this day ....
I have used it on everything from golf carts to my uncles sailboat ....
I have to buy specific adaptors to fit what I'm working on ..which is kinda painfully ...but oh well
Some one should invent a universal coupler
Old 07-28-2015, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a good thought it crossed my mind that something might be weird with the tbi to carbureted swap the only reason i don't think that's the problem with whats going on is because it ran great for a long time and it slowly started running the way it does now (rapid raise and drop in rpm when in gear). the symptoms started out very minuscule and gradually got worse so i was thinking maybe some sensor was going out. i was talking with someone and they said that if you pull the engine coolant temp sensor and look at the coolant in the hole and if it has rust or crud it could be blocking the temp sensor etc and make it run similar to it runs now. when i pulled the temp sensor the coolant looked terrible it had a rust color and looked like some particles were floating in there and the radiator is caked with rust. any thoughts on this?
Old 07-28-2015, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hydrocelator was in the tank on tbi vans ..
Carbed vans it was in the frame horn on the passenger side
I would think the carb would not be able to suck thru a tank mounted hydrocelator Belize it would act up similar to what your van is doing ... Mabe someone else witha little more knowledge on older stuff will chime in

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 350 3/4 ton g20 van dies under load